• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regulations for Civy's driving DND vehicles

Mjohns

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

My BC has dropped a question in my lap.  We have a civy coming to visit the Regt and it's the BC\s intent to have said civy drive a leopard on the driving circuit.  Does anyone know of any regulations that either ALLOW or DISALLOW this type of activity?  If you have the paperwork for it (CANFORGEN/CFAO) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well seeing as we let P.E.T. drive one when he was Prime Minister, I would say that it has been done before.........but that was some time ago.  Your best bet is to go to Transport and see about getting the Waiver that is required for a Civie to sign in order to ride in a DND vehicle and then give him a ride.....not let him drive.  Tpt would have the regulations on who can drive, and I am sure that it has to be someone with "Valid 404's" who is military or a civilian driver for DND.

Now remember, although P.E.T. was a civilian; he was also the PM.  Not really your ordinary Joe off the street.

If your BC's civie friend takes out part of the Hangar doing a Neutral Turn then the BC is on the hook.  ;D

+1 Go to TPT and see what the scoop is from the people in the know.

Thanks for the responses,

That's the plan for now (TPT or Safety) but it being lunch none want to answer!  The civy in question is a celeb so I think they're hoping for a bit of a publicity shot...

If not just stick him in the gunner's seat. Plenty of fun to be had there, and ulnless there was special circumstances for the Winnipeg International Airshow, It seemed to be fine.

A civie at the Grey Cup this year drove a Leopard over a car (that was a price from a draw)

Max

The way I understood it they "rode" in a tank that drove over a car but I have been known to be RTFO (right thr f*$k out of 'er).

I might be wrong.  Maybe you want to drop a line to the Tpt People in Winnipeg? They might have that information for you!

Max

We did some off the books driver training with both the 2/75th Rangers and a couple of USMC units with the AVGP's. Of course our training use of Cobra's and some of their other equipment was fair exchange. Was it official I think not but there are a few back issues of the Patrician that allude to it being so. You may also want to try looking at the Soldier for a Day waivers that the reserve 746 Com's Squadron here in Calgary has developed. From a legal/insurance/CF reg perspective it is quite well done. I have kept a copy as a working template.

VP

I did see the civy sitting in the drivers seat before the car was crushed....but never saw him drive it(grey cup)

We're trying to run a raffle at our base to raise money for our running club.  This will include (so far) an AVLB driving over a POL-clean car wreck donated by the local auto wreckers.  Tickets available to ANYBODY 18 and over (tentatively).  The response has been phenomenal.  As for who can drive, they need to be over 18 so they can sign the usual waiver.  There's also a driver-instructor right next to them to take over in case of... 'problems'.  I don't know exactly how or where the driver-instructor sits as I'm not lucky enough to be Armoured. ;)  Finally, last I heard, we need the permission of a "Commander of a Command", i.e. CO LFWA.  We're putting the final proposal together for that.

There's other details about what you can crush, where, the safety aspect, environmental concerns, yadda yadda.  There's a lot of prerequisites and hoops to jump through, but it can be done.

the civvie at the airshow was riding shotgun, I know because I was doing security around the compound that day and saw it front and center.

Well, if you need proof a civilian can operate a dnd vehicle, check out this link:

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1678

armynewsguy

Well I guess they let him drive after all eh?  Good on ya Rick! Thanks for the support.  :salute:

Back