• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regimental nicknames of the Canadian Forces

career_radio-checker

Inactive
Reaction score
Something I stumbled upon while looking up 'chicken f%@ker' for a presentation.

For your enjoyment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regimental_nicknames_of_the_Canadian_Forces#Non-regimental_nicknames

Interesting.

I especially enjoyed this one:

CF Medical Branch - Pecker Checkers: as soldiers tend to put things where they shouldn't

:rofl:

I liked this:

Meatheads: general nickname for Military Police. There are two possible explanations: the first being the obvious derogatory meaning of the word or; a metaphorical reference to their red berets. Most CF personnel seem to concur that the former is much more likely to be the origin of the name than the latter.

:D

I can also attest to the fact that Dragoons really don't like being referred to as Dragons. ;D So naturally I use it at least once a day with our resident Dragoon! 8)

BTDT and already got the T-Shirt

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/930.0.html

They forgot the Princess Louise Fusiliers other name - Pretty Ladies F*** us, taken from their slip ons PL Fus and used by mbrs of the unit usually answering an enquiry by a female asking what it meant.

Suitcase and Luggage Handlers, Super Amazing Legendary Heroes,  :rofl:

Edited.

Sorry I leave for wainwright soon I hear it's kind of lackluster.

;D

Many regiments have over the years earned nicknames; some laudatory, some derogatory, but all colourful. Sometimes, the nicknames themselves have overshadowed the actual regimental title, e.g. the "Van Doos" for the Royal 22e Régiment. In some cases the nickname actually replaced it: in 1881, the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot became officially known by its nickname, The Black Watch.

What follows is a list of nicknames of Canadian regiments, arranged alphabetically by regimental title. A brief explanation of the origin of the nickname, where known, is included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regimental_nicknames_of_the_Canadian_Forces

:yellow:

Like this one if you read french 

Douzième rangée de beaux caves: from "12 RBC

Had to add one; was surprised it wasn't there before.

"The Royal Cleaning Regiment"

I hear it all the time, from Royals and others alike.

Didn't see this one on there...

My dad grew up in Montreal during the WWII and always referred to "Le Régiment de Maisonneuve" as "Le Régiment de Mayonnaise"

The only nickname I had heard for the Sherbrooke Hussars was simply the Sherbrookes.

Although I can understand how Sherbie Herbies may have come into use. During the early 70's there were 3 of us Sherbrookes on a Captain Qualifying course.

One of the instructors was a Lt Col from the Van Doos who had distinguished himself in the UN intervention in the Congo during the 60s. He was a modest man and always said he just did what any herbie would do.

So in homage to his courage we started calling ourselves Herbies and continued doing so when we returned to the unit, I suspect that some of the troopers who heard the story from us, may have continued the new tradition. Of course we were also among the first members of the Sherbrooke Hussars Ionclast and Terrorist Society, of course we always liked to use the abbreviation.

We were very lucky in our timing of our service, we had many WWII vets as senior officers and many SOLAMS who had also done UN tours.

Back