• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Redress of Grievance

I submitted a grievance in 2018 that took 3 1/2 years to make its way thru each level, up to the FA. Rejected at each level and each level had a different reason for their rejection. After the FA's decision, you get 30 days to file for Judicial Review. I did, and won. The grievance then gets pushed back to the FA for reconsideration with no time limit.

Email trails can be a hell of a drug. "Dear IA's boss, please see below for a grievance in the hands of your subordinate that is now overdue."

There is no real recourse, the options are all bad. They should be asking for an extension but if you deny it then it goes to the FA who has no time limit.

You can ask them to push the file to the FA, but see above.

Most people allow the IA to make a determination (they will usually work with you back and forth first) and then if they still disagree then push to FA.

Actually, I found this is the QR &O:

“(4) If an initial authority, other than the Chief of the Defence Staff, does not determine a grievance within the time limit set out in paragraph (2), the grievor may submit to the initial authority, for forwarding to the final authority, a request to consider and determine the grievance.”

It doesn’t specify how…I guess an email to the IA asking it to be forwarded. Then the CDS/committee can sit on it with no limits until lawyers get involved.

Actually, I found this is the QR &O:

“(4) If an initial authority, other than the Chief of the Defence Staff, does not determine a grievance within the time limit set out in paragraph (2), the grievor may submit to the initial authority, for forwarding to the final authority, a request to consider and determine the grievance.”

It doesn’t specify how…I guess an email to the IA asking it to be forwarded. Then the CDS/committee can sit on it with no limits until lawyers get involved.
Yes exactly what I said, just not in QR&Oese.

The ones I have dealt with have been emails to the CoC or through the Conflict Resolution folks to the IA, whichever was dealing with coording comms. It has been a few years though

Email trails can be a hell of a drug. "Dear IA's boss, please see below for a grievance in the hands of your subordinate that is now overdue."
Which sounds great until Cpl Snuffy emails the Bde Comd because his CO is sitting on a grievance.

Which sounds great until Cpl Snuffy emails the Bde Comd because his CO is sitting on a grievance.
I once escalated Capt to LCol to BGen on a grievance (cc'ing the delinquent one each time).

Nothing inherently wrong with the Bde Comd discovering that a CO isn't doing his job.

Back