• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

R013 said:
i have to say...that commercial has to be the biggest pile of dog s**t that has been released by the CF recruiting conglomerate.  Should read...fight the payclerk, fight the clothing stores, fight the DOAD's, fight the vetran affairs, fight CFRC, ...the list goes on and on...mark time a few years and the DND self eating machine will expose its ugly head.  On that note...and setting aside the admin nightmare....I have to say ...serving in the CF has to be one of the most enjoyable times ever in my life.  The people iv met, places iv been, and comradary unsurpassed.  NO LIFE LIKE IT :salute:

Fight the urge to to yell STFU

You have to admit though the commercials have come a loooooong way.  Anyone else remember that jingle from the 80's
"There is no life like it"  the words were part of a song and a part of the commercial was a 280 destroyer smiling faces and the like. 

Yah know having all those words in print posted here would be good for a chuckle.

And to the complainer who is gripping.  My guess would be a young Pte/ Cpl who has a great sense of entitlement and would never perscribe to taking a cup of STFU........ Or for that matter using a Capitol "I"  >:D

Hey all,

Coming from someone who is waiting on there BMQ date... I would have to say the newer CF ads did it for me. The commercials have been nice, but the ones that got me were in the movie theater's. They were longer, and gave you the extended version of all the commercials. Now I am on my way to BMQ and then after that Combat Engineer. The commercials were my first exposure and what got me hooked, after that followed tons of research and now a waiting process that is killing me ;)

Anyways, just thought I would throw my two cents out there.

Regards,

Smarts

R013 said:
i have to say...that commercial has to be the biggest pile of dog s**t that has been released by the CF recruiting conglomerate.  Should read...fight the payclerk, fight the clothing stores, fight the DOAD's, fight the vetran affairs, fight CFRC, ...the list goes on and on...mark time a few years and the DND self eating machine will expose its ugly head.  On that note...and setting aside the admin nightmare....I have to say ...serving in the CF has to be one of the most enjoyable times ever in my life.  The people iv met, places iv been, and comradary unsurpassed.  NO LIFE LIKE IT :salute:

Welcome to Milnet.ca. You should start by reading the guidelines, if you're not familiar with how we do things around here.

Three posts = three rants. How about reeling in your neck a bit and simmering down. See if you can get your point across without all the venom. It just ruins your view and opinion and people will stop paying attention.

Milnet.ca Staff

There's No Life Like it,

There's Nooooo Life Like it........  :D  ;D  :cdnsalute:

:-X

Infanteer said:
I would also venture that the Navy, the Air Force and the Army all have slightly different angles to take for ads.  They should all be given their own ads.

+1!!!!!!

As if the infantry, air-mechanics and sailors are all going to attract the same kind of guy.  Reality is, the CF is very diverse.  if you want combat troops, you want to attract people who thrive on adventure, excitement, speed, and challenges. If you want sailors, show the Navy life.... The CF is not a broad brush.  There are trades that are literally worlds apart from one another, so perhaps the intelligent thing to do would be to advertise for specific trades in demand. If you want MPs, make an ad that will promote the trade in a flattering light that is unique to other police forces.  If you want MOs, go for MOs. 

I'm a marketing student and I've seen all kinds of reads on selling and ads.  Marketing Magazine in Canada actually ranks the CF as one of the best Marketers in Canada.  I'd say the ad right now, as it stands is good and favorable to the Canadian public, and is better than the lame cheeseball ad we had before.

As for the other ads... I like them much better. The RM one with the guy in the underwater tunnel is pretty intense. The USMC commercials really do justice to the pride its members have in their Corps. As for our ad-It does reinforce what the military as a whole is about. But it isn't specific enough to attract certain people, unlike the USMC or Royal Marines who pretty much do one thing, the CF do many things. The most it can do is make people curious, but that only will work if you want to attract people who have no idea what they want.

CorporalMajor said:
As if the infantry, air-mechanics and sailors are all going to attract the same kind of guy.  Reality is, the CF is very diverse.  if you want combat troops, you want to attract people who thrive on adventure, excitement, speed, and challenges. If you want sailors, show the Navy life.... The CF is not a broad brush.  There are trades that are literally worlds apart from one another, so perhaps the intelligent thing to do would be to advertise for specific trades in demand. If you want MPs, make an ad that will promote the trade in a flattering light that is unique to other police forces.  If you want MOs, go for MOs. 

And once there are "Army" ads, someone will say that combat arms, combat support arms and service support trade groups should each have their own ads because the Army "is not a broad brush" either.  We shouldn't be trying to attract the same candidates with the same message to infantry, and communicators, and supply techs.  Where does it stop?

Even in single trades you do not want an homogeneous body of clones.  Some may choose to perceive that the "ideal" infantry soldier is someone "who thrive on adventure, excitement, speed, and challenges". But even in that single trade you need people who will, over their careers fill very different roles, ranging from that perceived "snake eating shooter" role to others requiring skills to be involved in equipment development or other technical positions, or staff positions to make sure the infantry corps and its various units run as they need to.

It's not a simple equation.

We certainly can't afford the production and market penetration costs and effort required to try and have ads for each and every trade.  As with many things, compromises have to be made somewhere.  There's certainly enough information available from official and unofficial sources for people to identify the Service and trade they feel suitable for.

Michael O`Leary said:
And once there are "Army" ads, someone will say that combat arms, combat support arms and service support trade groups should each have their own ads because the Army "is not a broad brush" either.  We shouldn't be trying to attract the same candidates with the same message to infantry, and communicators, and supply techs.  Where does it stop?

Even in single trades you do not want an homogeneous body of clones.  Some may choose to perceive that the "ideal" infantry soldier is someone "who thrive on adventure, excitement, speed, and challenges". But even in that single trade you need people who will, over their careers fill very different roles, ranging from that perceived "snake eating shooter" role to others requiring skills to be involved in equipment development or other technical positions, or staff positions to make sure the infantry corps and its various units run as they need to.

It's not a simple equation.

We certainly can't afford the production and market penetration costs and effort required to try and have ads for each and every trade.  As with many things, compromises have to be made somewhere.  There's certainly enough information available from official and unofficial sources for people to identify the Service and trade they feel suitable for.

Whoa now..I'm not saying the ads should split hairs that far... as good as the ad is, it is kind of vague. It makes you curious, for better or for worse.

In the Army you have Combat Arms, CS, and CSS.  All are different, and all have variety within them, but there's common ground to be found between and within the three.

For one, you know the saying all "soldiers are soldiers first". You can attract people to all Army trades with that idea, and it will be the right people. And it won't be misleading.

All combat arms do among the most dangerous and challenging work in the military, and they are the backbone of the army...so right there you have four large career fields that are at the center of attention, and have more similarities to one another than differences.  You can easily portray an aspect of all four in one commercial, and that will give the individual watching a good impression that isn't misleading.

I'm not saying, there should be an ad for snipers, EOD, para riggers, or every single niche in the CF.  But the Army, Navy and Air Force are three different beasts, with different trades and different ways of doing business. In turn, you will have people who generally joined a given trade or element for a particular reason not applicable to one of the three. Some like being in the field, others don't. Some want to go sea, I don't. Even if a whole unit of X shouldn't be clones, they're there for one reason - they'd rather be in their trade than another (hopefully).

So should all three be represented differently..I think so. But you're right, it's wishful thinking, and it depends... trades can open and close pretty fast, and ads take time to make and can be expensive to budget. We don't know how much money we can spend on them, so I don't know whether or not we are truly making the best with what we have. At least it's better than "There's No Life Like It".

I think a good question is posed here:

Will the CF get a better return if it spends 3 Million on "Tri-Service" ads, or 1 million for an army Ad, 1 million for a Navy Ad, and 1 Million for an Airforce Ad?  Quality or quantity?

Wonderbread said:
I think a good question is posed here:

Will the CF get a better return if it spends 3 Million on "Tri-Service" ads, or 1 million for an army Ad, 1 million for a Navy Ad, and 1 Million for an Airforce Ad?  Quality or quantity?

To continue the analogy, keep in mind that as you go from 1 to 3 with the same budget:

- Each of the 3 ads is produced with only a third of the budget of the original.
  - Each ad gets to only one-third of the original audience (with only one-third of the distribution budget).

So, does one third of the original target audience then see three lower quality ads, or does the original audience see (on average) only one ad of the three for the same overall market distribution?

We can always try showing this to the public:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrYf4-Ik3k&feature=related

ghyslyn said:

Please don't.  The current ads are wonderful, and lack the macho bravado of some of the US service ads. 

quiet professionalism just feels so much more impressive than the sweeping god bless america themes of our southern brothers.

Not to mention they are light years better than the old marketing campaign.

ghyslyn said:

I have been thinking about this and the statement do we use a large brush or a smaller detail one.  I think we need to refocus and modernize our outlook.  Keep a national campain for the Forces in whole, be it snazzy, jig-nostic, at least make it relevant.  But continue the presence at major events in a larger way.  Don't just set up a recruiter booth at job fairs or major events ( Grey and Lord Stanly Cups ) set up Reg and Res personnel at the universities ( if they allow us ) High Schools and Malls, large static displays with many trades there with the goal of just talking about life in the Forces. ( especially since the general public has no idea ) Yes we do this already but I would argue we don't do it enough in the grass route form.  The best advertising for the Army has and will always be word of mouth.  These days though our major bases are away from the population centers so we need more effort to reengage them. And finally get on You Tube in a better way. Don't just show the amateur vids or general contact vids that are on there now, get a professionally trade specific vid on there that is better quality then what they show in the recruiters office.  For Cbt Arms it can be task specific ( sniper, Diver, EOD, Infantry, Arty, Eng, Tanker) For other trades it can be showing that being a purple trade is not all office work or such ( those in that lane give me a hand here ).  End each add with a general information web site that answers questions and spells out specifics for each trade.  things like TOS, Pay, Time off, Medical, Education, Travel Assistance.

So to sum up I think we need a 3 prong Add, 
-National Ad's for overall join the team,
-Pressing flesh adds that has Pte, Sgt, Officers with Equipment to many more events and Job fairs then what we currently do.
-You Tube adds with a revamped My job Rocks clips

All of these to a better laid out Website that will give info but also have  FAQ's on things they might not be thinking about

But this brings another problem.  As I have heard Hillier state before but am not up on the current numbers.  We have no real issue with recruiting at the present and we can recruit more. The trouble is getting those you recruited, trained and in the system before time removes the desire to join.

helpup said:
For other trades it can be showing that being a purple trade is not all office work or such ( those in that lane give me a hand here ).  
I'm an RMS Clerk, as purple as they get.  It IS all office work, that trade... but once in a while I get to go out into the field or practice on weapons.

Some other trades such as MP, Med Tech, even Supply/TN get out into the field way more though.  I would say that aspect makes them unique to their civilian equivalents.

CorporalMajor said:
I'm an RMS Clerk, as purple as they get.  It IS all office work, that trade... but once in a while I get to go out into the field or practice on weapons.

Some other trades such as MP, Med Tech, even Supply/TN get out into the field way more though.  I would say that aspect makes them unique to their civilian equivalents.

You really have a narrow view of the CF as a whole if you think clerks don't go to the field, and only work in offices.   

even all office work would appeal to some who dont want to get into the gung ho aspect and are leary of the military as they think it is just about that.....

Eye In The Sky said:
You really have a narrow view of the CF as a whole if you think clerks don't go to the field, and only work in offices.   
I'm saying that the 836 trade itself is all office work. I am a clerk, so I think I would know. It isn't like infantry or sig op or what have you, where the field is your first or second home WITHIN THE TRADE ITSELF... Fieldcraft and the trade are almost entirely divorced from one another, and that is how it is.

I don't have a narrow view. The trade is multifaceted and I always volunteer for the field in my res unit whenever the chance pops up, because my uniform has crossed swords on it, and because I like it. But while there are many clerks who take being soldiers or sailors first very seriously, there are some who may as well have never set foot outside of office.

CorporalMajor said:
I'm saying that the 836 trade itself is all office work. I am a clerk, so I think I would know. It isn't like infantry or sig op or what have you, where the field is your first or second home WITHIN THE TRADE ITSELF... Fieldcraft and the trade are almost entirely divorced from one another, and that is how it is.

I don't have a narrow view. The trade is multifaceted and I always volunteer for the field in my res unit whenever the chance pops up, because my uniform has crossed swords on it, and because I like it. But while there are many clerks who take being soldiers or sailors first very seriously, there are some who may as well have never set foot outside of office.

Actually, a quick view of your profile leads me to believe you do NOT know.  I can have the Clerk who spent a FTX or two as "Z49" confirm that your first paragraph is not true.  ;)

You're entitled to your opinion, all I am saying is you will likely find other Clerks with some TI telling you that your opinion is misinformed at this point.

TGIF!!  ;D

Back on the topic of the recruiting ads, I think the way they are going now is a step in the correct direction.  It seems (IMO) that the adds are working in their intended (IMO) way;  to generate enough of an interest in the CF to those who see them to have the viewer want some more info.  Viewer can then go to a CFRC, or in this day and age, they are more likely to hit the CF Recruiting website. 

The user can then poke around thru "army" "air force" and "navy jobs", and get all the goods on those trades, regardless of which one and Officer/NCM ones.  On top of that, the actual MOC videos are 500% improved (IMO) from the old ones.  Some that come to mind are the videos for AC Op, Armour Soldier and AES Op.  While *we* on the inside might scoof at them some, the job of the video is not to impress US, it is to generate interest from potential CF members. 

If these 2 components work well, our CFRC staffs are busy and CFLRS never has an empty platoon.  Which seems to be the case...

I still miss the corniness of the "there is no life like it song" That jingle has been running through my head now for the past couple of days and I cant get the whole words for it but have amusingly inserted my own interpretations.

Back