• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

I like them. Just watched both with a couple of my buds. Are they flashy? Sort of. More grit than flash. And why not? We are more grit than flash. The sound they have is good. We are not rock stars, we do not need to act like rock stars.

I never liked the last batch of "cool" vids that we would see in the theatres. I would always comment on them to ninerD, "I wish I had joined the cool army they show there."

These ones have fires (been there, got the t-shirt), floods (did that, got a hat), boarding parties (4 guys here in my Sqn here have done that), patrols (done that, but not in the "Stan), rescues ("So That Others May Live" thank you SAR Techs) and a "rescue" in the 'Stan (Victoria). Oh, and the Navy and Air Force stuff (not that they matter  ;D). Seems like a pretty realistic portrayal of what we do (no Ice Storm, G7 or APEC footage though).

I do not want any "American" style flash ads. That's not who we are or what we do. The last batch were our attempt at "cool." They sucked and were not realistic. I say tell the truth as much as we can.

All this talk of "American style flashy ads" pisses me off.

What the CF is finaly doing is what every single business must do in order to find and hire the right people for any position, we are finally targeting a demographic! 

We don't need a bunch of recruits who dream of passing out teddy bears we need warfighters who understand and accept that they may be placed in harms way and that is part and parcel of the job.  We don't need people like that guy who quit a week into BOTC because we were focused on learning to fight wars we need people who understand, in the words of Sun Tzu that "The art of war is of vital importance to the state, a road to either safety or ruin and hence under no circumstances can it be ignored".

Screw the naysayers.  War, war, war, fight, fight, fight?  You better freaking believe it!!! :cdn:  :soldier:

I was the first civilian in Calgary to see the new ad at the recruiting office.(Or so the recruiting officer told me) I saw it on the big screen they have there and visually it was stark, gritty and serious. I think it cast the mood of the current world situation pretty clearly. I found the music a bit too dark and broody. It could be better, I also have a problem with the graphic messages "Fight Fear" etc. I think the words are fine, but it has been demonstrated time and time again in marketing that a written word on a screen is often missed. A voice over will hit home better with text because it touches two senses, but just text alone demands that the viewer pay attention, and that is something that may not happen. All in all I would give the ads a "B"

I think this ad will help pre-select some of the people who would consider joining up. If you do not like the idea of going to dangerous places and doing dangerous things then the military may not be the place for you. That being said the ad does make it clear the armed forces are doing serious, important things and that if you are looking for this kind of challenge then it is the job for you. I think it will have appeal.

Other commercials could be used to convey different emotions, but they should keep the fighting element in. It is the core of what the Armed Forces should be and in that regard the ads are a home run.

perhaps more trade specific?

instead of showing 5 seconds of one slice, maybe 30s towards navy/air/army on their own?

so consolidate the clips more so they don't jump around, I like that idea.

I just watched both videos last night on my buddies computer, I like em. It is defenitley trying to get peoples focus off of peacekeeping and trying to make them aware that in today's world we do indeed have to fight. It's about time. Hopefully we will be able to draw more people into the forces. Someone earlier mentioned about how much they are streamlining the recruiting process. here it is in a nut shell. Physical fitness standards are being lowered slightly, when candidates arrive at CFLRS, the first thing they do is the express test. If they pass carry on with training. If they fail the vo2 max by half the level they are supposed to attain or better, then they go to the Pat division where they will receive fitness training for 90 days then they redo the express and if they pass carry on with training, if they fail then it is a size 11 farewell in the a$$. If they fail the express by less than half of the level they require then they are gone right away. This is just coming into effect so no one really knows how it is going to work, but they are sending a lot of instructors into Pat division (Warrior Rehab program). Failure of other components of the express will be dealt with by re-test later in the course.
Cheers Feet :cdn:

A recruiting ad should be very focused so as to get one idea out. Like our Marine ad. After viewing the ads I did not feel moved to call the recruiter. Each of the services need to have their own ad.

tomahawk6 said:
A recruiting ad should be very focused so as to get one idea out. Like our Marine ad. After viewing the ads I did not feel moved to call the recruiter. Each of the services need to have their own ad.

Hmph, maybe.  The ads are getting an idea out.  Fight.  A far cry from Strong Proud.  But remember that we are targeting a Canadian audience not an American one.  What works south of the border won't necessarily fly up here. 

The marine ad is very well done but it didn't make me want to join the Marines either.  It made me want to be in a marine movie.  I felt like I was watching a movie preview.  Nothing wrong with that, and it is probably very effective in the US.

Personally the best video I've seen made was the Navy "Rolling Tide" or "Rolling Tide", something like that.  The music sounds like teh music from crimson tide, boarding actions, missile lauches, .50 cal going off and all that.

Crantor said:
Hmph, maybe.  The ads are getting an idea out.  Fight.  A far cry from Strong Proud.  But remember that we are targeting a Canadian audience not an American one.  What works south of the border won't necessarily fly up here. 

The marine ad is very well done but it didn't make me want to join the Marines either.  It made me want to be in a marine movie.  I felt like I was watching a movie preview.  Nothing wrong with that, and it is probably very effective in the US.

Personally the best video I've seen made was the Navy "Rolling Tide" or "Rolling Tide", something like that.  The music sounds like the music from crimson tide, boarding actions, missile launches, .50 cal going off and all that.

The Navy clip is a promotional piece designed for presentations. It is so darned good that the Navy should just play it at Movie theatres. The musical score is from Gladiator. :salute:

The new video's are good but like a number of you said there not great i mean there better then the old ones but they didn't want to make me call the recruiter like the Marine video's that career_radio-checker posted. They need more of the "Saving Private Ryan", Band of Brothers" music that makes people call the recruiter or it would for me. (and I'm pretty sure the JSDF video stole there music from Pirates of the Carabeen)

The new opening flash video on the recruiting site sent chills down my spine. By far the most effective ad yet, IMHO.

Youtube has both commercials here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6vK_JSSTo

This is the first time I've seen them in full (from Youtube) and I think they are very, very well done.  I haven't read everyone else's opinion, but I find them quite compelling and believe they will bring people to find out more about the CF.

Well done.

kc

Retired colonel fires salvo at Canadian forces recruiting ads
Tim Naumetz, CanWest News Service; Ottawa Citizen
Published: Monday, September 18, 2006

OTTAWA - A retired Canadian Forces officer who advised the Canadian Rights Tribunal when it ruled in 1989 that all armed service roles, including combat, must be available to women is furious new Defence department ads focus on recruiting young men for action in Afghanistan.

Retired Lt.-Col. Shirley Robinson says a department claim that focus-group tests showed men are more likely than women to be drawn to the Canadian Forces for combat-arms jobs could ''turn back the clocks'' for women's rights in the military.

''You go back as far as you want, you're going to find women warriors, women in combat, we're not wusses,'' said Robinson.

She was responding to comments a defence official made while explaining the emphasis producers placed on young men looking for action and adventure in two ads being aired as a test campaign on Atlantic region television and cinema screens.

Uncharacteristically for Canada, the ads rely heavily on an appeal to ''fight with the Canadian Forces'' on rescue operations, fighting fires and floods and, controversially, in combat in Afghanistan.

Jennifer Hubbard, director of advertising and marketing for the department, said while explaining the background to the campaign that focus groups showed men who were interested in joining the forces tended to like adventure, teamwork and action. She added testing with women showed they were not as likely to be interested in combat.

''To read that in the paper just sent me into orbit, along with Steve MacLean,'' said Robinson.

She praised Capt. Nichola Goddard, who last May became the first Canadian woman killed in action in combat as she was leading a forward artillery observation team in a battle against Taliban forces.

''She enjoyed every minute of what she did, and she was leading those guys,'' said Robinson.

Robinson, who joined the forces as a registered nurse and rose through the ranks to eventually attend Canadian Forces Staff College in Toronto, was head of women personnel in the forces and advised Human Rights Tribunal lawyers for the 1989 ruling that opened the doors for women on all Canadian Forces occupations.

''We've been there, done that, the debate is over,'' she said. ''Women are in combat, they're dying and what does it take to get through to people that we're not all alike? I'm too damned old to be, but I'd be over there fighting too, believe you me.''

Col. Kevin Cotten, deputy commander of the Canadian Forces recruiting group, backed up Hubbard's view, however, saying past studies have shown fewer women are interested in joining the forces for combat.

''The propensity to enlist in the Canadian Forces is a little bit lower with women, and it's a fair bit lower when you're talking about the combat arms occupations, infantry, armoured, artillery, engineers, the true frontline folks,'' said Cotten. ''That's a fact, and Col. Robinson may not like it.''

The new ads portray women in several scenes, but they are clearly less prominent in the Afghanistan combat scenes, where a squad of infantry stealthily enters a village house to climb up a flight of stairs, toss a grenade into a room and rescue hostages.

A woman is briefly depicted going up the stairs carrying a rifle, but her face is partially masked by the rifle stock. Another infantry woman at the end of the ad looks down at the ground as a taller male officer, helmet off, speaks to another soldier. The women portrayed most prominently in the ads are a medic with a red cross on her fatigue sleeve and another who appears to be an officer in a civilian emergency.

Statistics provided by the Canadian Forces show women account for only 1.4 per cent of rank-and-file soldiers in combat arms occupations and 3.8 per cent of officers in combat arms. The figures show women make up 51 per cent of clerical personnel, and 44 per cent of officers in medical and dental occupations. They account for only 3.6 per cent of pilots.

''We've been there, done that, the debate is over,'' she said. ''Women are in combat, they're dying and what does it take to get through to people that we're not all alike? I'm too damned old to be, but I'd be over there fighting too, believe you me.''

Actually, wouldn't she be over there praticing her nursing skills?

She seems to be one who pushes for "numeric equity" vice "equality"...perhaps if ratios/numbers/quantity are so important, as they appear to be with Lt.Col (Ret'd) Robinson, we should look at all the military occupations that are filled with more than 50% women, and kick the excess out of the CF?  Maybe this should be extended to all facets of society, civilian, governmental, etc...nurses, mechanics, construction workers, 50/50...right down the middle...male/female?

Frankly, I see her skewed view of things as a disservice to the women who are conducting and supporting operations.

G2G

*edit - added* Actually, she seems to have puffed herself up a bit to the reporter...If a Lieutenant-General is Chief of Military Personnel (then ADM HR(Mil)), I find it doubtful that a "mere" LCol would have been in charge of all the women in the CF.  Secondly, the phrasing seems somewhat strange about "rising through the ranks" to "attend" CFCSC.  I for one do not intend to progress through the ranks with a goal to attending a course.  What this sounds like to me is that she attended the course but never Commanded a Unit at the LCol level...perhaps it's just me, but I see a lot of bluster that unfortunately for the women in the CF who do exemplary service day in and day out, muddles the issue of equality of service in support of, or in executing operations.

We had a little debate about this in one of my past university classes:  Since the Cbt Arms trades are open to women, if we ever got into a situation where we had to have conscription would women be conscripted into the Cbt Arms? 

Forcing men into the military in times of dire need has been difficult enough in Canada, I see it as being impossible with women.

This arose while we were talking about the women's rights movement and how the women's rights activists often fought for certain rights that they did not personally want, they just fought the issue because they were into fighting issues.  This could be the situation with Lt.-Col. Shirley Robinson (Ret'd), she fought for something she didn't want or couldn't take advantage of herself an a drastic unintended consequence could be opening up Cdn women to forced service in combat.

She's an uneducated numpty of the first order... Air Force, nurse, retired years ago...  Number of Carl Gs humped?  Zero...

If anyone is still lookin' to see the videos without having to go to the CTV site, here is a link to them on youtube - both are in one video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6vK_JSSTo

And while some people have mentioned more sound might be good, I spotted this on youtube.  Found it a little while after looking up the CF Ads on there, and thought while it's a tribute... it would make a good ad, well, a long one.  Just figured it was a good video, and would toss it in here than start a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunOlS2uR-s

EDIT: Helps if I include the link.

Back