• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

The ad I saw was not targeting reserve recruits. It was a generic CF ad.

Given the regular force‘s near disastrous staffing situation at the moment, I‘d bet my breakfast that the focus is on recruiting regulars. Maybe even enticing some dissatisfied reservists to join the dark side?

Cheers,

mark

I can‘t remember if the ones I saw were all reserve-specific. Nevertheless, I must admit that if we entice soldiers in right now who subsequently become disillusioned with the reality of reserve service, I would be satisfied to see them continue on to regular service. As long as the Reg F needs people it must turn to the Res F to make up shortfalls, so the sooner the Reg F is "healthier", the sooner the Res F can concentrate on building up complementary capabilities and leadership depth.

I was watching TV today. I saw this commercial and it was about veterans. It said this man was a brother, friend, husband etc. They were all soldiers of the Second World War. At first I thought this was going to be for rememberance day. Then all I see is were all connected, Get your Bell Subscription. This is pretty sad. We have rip off amazing efforts from soldiers and then use it to market a product? What do you guys think?

I don't know, I still get a tear when I see the Dieppe commercial. I think when its done in good taste ,like the Bell commercials, then its allright.  Besides its better than the alternative,...... ignorance.

EDIT: can't believe I forgot this...an example of what I mean is my 11 year old asked me why I love that commercial so much and she listened in awe when I told her about the story.[ she couldn't believe they would keep trying to get up those cliffs in the background]

Last year I was in Afghanistan and saw this video for the first time.I think its great and hope that when they play it on t.v on 11/11 it makes alot of people stop and think.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance.htm#

Besides its better than the alternative,...... ignorance.
Good Point

I will say also that Bell did have taste and did it very respectfully when they made the Dieppe commercial, but still, I don't enjoy the fact it had to be done by a corporation for advertising. You can't ignore the fact it IS advertising. Regardless, I think the GOVERNMENT should take the blame on that one. It should be doing that already... They do a large part on the world wars in gr. 10 history class which I scored very high marks in, but still. People do need reminding every now and then!

Joe
:salute: :cdn: :salute:

Why shouldn't the corporations do their part, they also enjoy the freedom that was won by those brave people.

Bruce,

Very good point indeed. I agree you are right in that. I suppose I hadn't thought of that at all whatsoever! Like they say right, hindsight is always 20/20 (in my case, blind!)

:p
Joe

I'd say "bravo" to any organisation that takes the time, effort and money to salute our veterans - they're being good "corporate citizens".  Furthermore, I'd say the Bell commercials are an excellent example of what can be achieved when you combine professional expertise with heartfelt pride.

A while back, there was a hardware store commercial explaining that they'd helped refurbish the Royal Newfoundland Regiment memorial - how on Earth can we turn around and complain when a corporate citizen steps up to the plate and does "the right thing" (especially when you realise the former Heritage Minister used her post to feather her own nest, by moving HMCS Haida to her own riding ...).

For God's sake - don't bite the hand that's patting our veterans on the back!

I saw the Dieppe commercial at the movie theatre the other day. It's very well done and did bring a tear to my eye, until I say the end that is. Then I just got angry.

While I agree that ignorance is not the best option, I though the ad was a shameful plug by Bell. They could have just ended the commercial by saying â Å“brought to you by Bellâ ? (i.e taking credit for it) without turning it into a direct plug for their products.

That would of, in my opinion, been classier while still being an advertisement.

I like it.

Anything to get the general public to understand the worth of the CF is excellent.

Matthew.  :salute:

Just a side note, Bell provides funding for the series "For King & Country" (running this week on History channel). 

If a plug for their product is the price to pay for them doing what our own gov't won't, I can live with it.

i find the dieppe commercial very moving, and i dont fault them for it because there attempt to promote themselves isn't as important as the message they showed.

I thought the Bell commercial was done with good taste and class.  If they can pay for the commercial and take the time to remember those who fought and died in a tasteful manner then why not?

The add is manipulative and uses the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice to sell f*****g cell phones. Why not just put â Å“Bell Mobilityâ ? banner adds up at Remembrance Day ceremonies.  :mad:

Anyway, this one is emotional to me, so I'll end my rant here.

Go to your local cenotaph, look at the wreaths and check out the names on them. I'll bet 3/4 are from businesses .....so whats the difference? I think the sales pitch in that commercial is just about non-existant and I, for one, am glad they made it the way they did. :cdn:
PS: so next year buy a wreath from the legion and just leave it blank...that'll show them.

I would like to see Canada as a larger military power. I think of the numder of troops we have, to me its sad. I think it would be better to have a bigger military and to have the choice of going overseas and not base it on the number of troops we have. If Canada did join the coaltion in iraq we would not have had the numbers to make even a dent. I would like to see Canada have a bigger military and I don't think it would be that hard as I'm in high school (16) and I know of alot of people in the high schools that would join the Canadian forces. The only problem I see is there is too littles information about the Canadian armed forces and the advertising out there is not that good. If you put more postsers up in the high school and college's, and maybe more advertising on tv where kids my age would see them (like during programming aimed at teenagers) I bet enlistment would   at least double. So far in my 2 going on 3 years in high school once a year a rep from the RMC would come and it was even hard to find out when and where he would be. I got more of my friends 2 join up in the last 4 mouths than the RMC and the 1 postser they had hung up at my school did in the last 2 to 3 years (probably).
To my amazement I got 13 people to try out for basic and about 15 others thinking very hard about it.

In my opinon, it's sad that most of us out there can do better for the armed forces then our own goverment thanks for listing my two cents and i would like to hear about your opinon :salute: :cdn:

Back