• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Every 2 to 4 Years For Infantry?

triggerhappy

Inactive
Reaction score
I was skimming through the forums and notice one person had posted that Infantry positions only get filled 2-4 years. It was to my understanding that they are always willing to except new recruits for infantry. Can anybody confirm this? I plan on joining as Infantry as soon as I am out of highschool, but If I have to wait 2-4 years...well then I don't Know.

Intakes to the Reg F infantry happen year-round, every year.  Can you provide a link to the comment you referenced?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1897.15.html

"Average day you ask?  That is the single question I am asked the most about my job.  It is probobly the toughest to answer.  As a "Mech" soldier, most of your time is spent doing vehicle maintenance "make work" and low-level training.  Sure map-and-compass, knopt tying, AFV etc has its place BUT come on.  In preperation for tours and exercises there is plenty of good training in the field, but when there is none in the horizon, there is no money to train.  So the short answer to your question is there is no average day.  As someone eluded to earlier, PT in the morning (pride thing) and sports Fridays (Very imortant in my battalion).  AS all the others have stated, do your research, myself, I would suggest looking at a Tech trade.  The Infantry, if you actually get to do it, is the best job in the world.  However, the JOB happens every 2 to 4 years.  Good luck! "

zippofire said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1897.15.html

"Average day you ask?  That is the single question I am asked the most about my job.  It is probobly the toughest to answer.  As a "Mech" soldier, most of your time is spent doing vehicle maintenance "make work" and low-level training.  Sure map-and-compass, knopt tying, AFV etc has its place BUT come on.  In preperation for tours and exercises there is plenty of good training in the field, but when there is none in the horizon, there is no money to train.  So the short answer to your question is there is no average day.  As someone eluded to earlier, PT in the morning (pride thing) and sports Fridays (Very imortant in my battalion).  AS all the others have stated, do your research, myself, I would suggest looking at a Tech trade.  The Infantry, if you actually get to do it, is the best job in the world.  However, the JOB happens every 2 to 4 years.  Good luck! "

Tours....hes talking about overseas tours.....

Troops Being Pulled Out 2009? Still no effect? I would have thought that with all our forces back in Canada, recruiting for all trades will lower.

There is no indication that average rates of attrition (by all reasons for release) will decrease simply because the combat role in Afghanistan may cease in 2009.

Keep in mind that the CF has more operations than just Afganistan, also with quite a few members reaching retirement age there will be alot of numbers to fill. 

Also you cannot predict what the future for the world may be, by 2009 there may be another peacekeeping effort, humanitarian aid, or world conflict that Canada and the CF may be involved in.

JBoyd said:
by 2009 there may be another peacekeeping effort or world conflict that the CF will be involved in

Or another war

CDN Aviator said:
Or another war

well i was trying to say it nicely with world conflict :p, but yes, with whats going on with Pakistan, and with Georgia who knows what the future may hold.

JBoyd said:

Theres no need to be nice or pull punches by calling it something else.  Canadians have been fooled into thinking of the CF as "peacekeepers' enough as it is.  Lets not perpetuate anything of the sort by being "nice" and calling "war" something else.

CDN Aviator said:
Theres no need to be nice or pull punches by calling it something else.  Canadians have been fooled into thinking of the CF as "peacekeepers' enough as it is.  Lets not perpetuate anything of the sort by being "nice" and calling "war" something else.

Well yes, that is very true; However 'wars' are not all the CF is involved in.. If im not mistaken the CF has been involved in BC in the past with the wildfires, in Nova Scotia in 2003 for the hurricane, and I believe also in Sri Lanka after the tsunami. Don't get me wrong Afganistan is a war by all means, and I agree that public media has displayed current and previous operations as something less then they really were. perhaps world conflicts may have been a poor choice in words when trying to include involvements that were not only just wars but those that were not quite wars and not quite humanitarian aid.

CDN Aviator said:
Canadians have been fooled into thinking of the CF as "peacekeepers' enough as it is.  Lets not perpetuate anything of the sort by being "nice" and calling "war" something else.

Aaaargh... the myth continues....

Back