• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

When I did my 3s for supply, there was supposed to be 3 fully manned courses that summer but because they couldn’t find two MCpls in the CAF they cancelled one of the courses.

Based just off my 3s course, 5 of us went regs after that. Many others did deployments and class Bs. So for the cost of pulling two MCpls from somewhere you would have gained substantially more than what was put out.
If the CAF couldn't find to MCpls to teach, it was likely because those MCpls were doing the work of a couple other people somewhere else. Work that maybe couldn't just not get done. Training is important, but day to day operations are also important.
Does it suck to be that MCpl tasked to teach for two months? Yes it can. Would it have benefited the CAF more than them staying at whatever unit they were with for a couple months, odds are substantially more so.
Unless it caused those MCpls to say "screw this, I'm out", and the CAF ends up short experienced people, and gains a few extra Pte's with less people to supervise them.

This dick swinging game of Regs and Reserves is stupid and intentionally weakening ourselves for no valid reason.
You want to know whats harder than being in the Regs? Working civvy side and still being a Reservist.
In less than an hour you went from "kumbaya" to "ResF is better because we're twice the citizen"... That's impressive.

The CAF needs troops trained. I really don’t care where they get the instructors from but they need to grab them from somewhere, Regs or Reserves, and make it happen.
That's easy to say, but hard to actually execute. There are things beyond just training that need doing, and CAF members are volunteers with the option to walk away if they don't like how they are treated.

This isn't the 70s, there aren't more potential workers than there are jobs. People have options, and they will not join, or stay in an organization that treats them poorly because it's convenient for the organization.

In less than an hour you went from "kumbaya" to "ResF is better because we're twice the citizen"... That's impressive.

When did I say the Res F is better? Neither is better. Simply stating it is harder as a fully employed civvy side Reservist to find a full summer off to teach, or find time to do all the Reserve stuff. If you don’t agree with that assessment I recommend trying it.

I have done Regs and Reserves. Regs is easy for that, simply go where your told and when your told.

Its pretty ironic that you're playing the service before self card when the reason you need people to fill your instructor ranks is because your own people wont put service before self.

Good observation.

I think part of the problem is that reservists can pick and choose what taskings they feel like going on.

If someone doesn't like their options they can just choose to do something else for the summer.

As far as the reg force training reservists goes we would probably get more bang for our buck if reservists were obligated to deploy if needed. That way if 1 RCR trained a platoon or company of reserves over the summer they could count on a platoon or company of reservists being called up to support them (or anyone in the CAF) in an emergency. Not have 5 hands go up (and one can only stay for a 6 days).

That has been the excuse used by the CAF every time they screw a member around... Right now, due to many factors we can't keep people in, that attitude is one of the factors.

What RegF will be left if that's the way we decide to do things? This may come a shock to some, but right now neither the RegF nor ResF can attract or retain people. Making conditions worse for them is not going to magically make that stop.

What we actually need is top level leadership that learns to say "no" to people other than their subordinates. So maybe we can focus on fixing the bleed right now, before we lose our best due to burnout.

Service before Self is a concept that is absolutely necessary... on operations. When a missile's inbound or bullets are flying, you need to expect everyone will do their duty.

It's not, however, an excuse to get people to work themselves to death (or divorce) just because the department can't be bothered to hire enough people to properly do all the work it's mandating. Gone are the days that folks will be willing to sacrifice their mental well being and relationships for a shitty job with an employer that would absolutely toss them out as soon as they're no longer useful.

The CAF as a whole, at every level of leadership, needs to grow a spine and tell their bosses no when they're asked to do something that simply isn't doable with the resources allocated towards them, based upon a reasonably balanced workload.

Good observation.

I think part of the problem is that reservists can pick and choose what taskings they feel like going on.

If someone doesn't like their options they can just choose to do something else for the summer.

As far as the reg force training reservists goes we would probably get more bang for our buck if reservists were obligated to deploy if needed. That way if 1 RCR trained a platoon or company of reserves over the summer they could count on a platoon or company of reservists being called up to support them (or anyone in the CAF) in an emergency. Not have 5 hands go up (and one can only stay for a 6 days).

If there was an opportunity to deploy somewhere on tour at the end of a period of training, I'm pretty sure you'd need to bash people on the head with sticks to keep them away....

Just sayin' ;)

So let me get this straight, the ARes cant get its own people to go off and teach their courses, for a host of reasons. So the Reg force should have to give their time in the summers to fill that gap ? Hard no.
I will tell you exactly what I said to my 9-9 at the time when he ask me for more sgt. for the summer under the almost threat not to train the unit member because we had not a lot of sgt.

1-Free up all those tens of Mcpl - WO ARes at CFLRS for the summer so they can train ARes instead of RegF
2-It's also part of the RegF job to train the reserve. (Remember what I told you earlier, ARes can do a bit but not everything. The RegF can't even train itself)
3- Sir, you really want me to tell all my working sgt to drop their job for the summer?

Those white tower of me pissing farther then you as killed us.

By the way, I understand that the battalions are empty. We can do by dropping those barrier and helping each other but why do that, hey!?

Last edited:
The CAF as a whole, at every level of leadership, needs to grow a spine and tell their bosses no when they're asked to do something that simply isn't doable with the resources allocated towards them, based upon a reasonably balanced workload.

People need to stop answering phones and working while on leave. Unfortunately, their only identity is being in the CAF and doing everything and anything ‘for the king’. They aren’t doing themselves and their mental health any favours.

When did I say the Res F is better? Neither is better. Simply stating it is harder as a fully employed civvy side Reservist to find a full summer off to teach, or find time to do all the Reserve stuff. If you don’t agree with that assessment I recommend trying it.
Saying something is harder, is a pretty common way to imply that it's better, so it's not a stretch to read that into what you wrote. Now that you have clarified your intent I see what you are saying in the way it was intended.
I have done Regs and Reserves. Regs is easy for that, simply go where your told and when your told.
Until you get tired of being pushed around by a system that doesn't take your personal life into account and you get out. Leaving the CAfF short yet another member...

Maybe people from occupations that don't get posted around much don't understand, but being told to move from one side of the continent to the other, on the whim of a few people at the top who don't care about your personal life, gets old real fast. My occupation routinely loses people due to postings/taskings decided upon by people two or three levels removed from the members being moved around.

What does a military summer look like, from both individual and institutional perspectives? From June -Aug how many weeks is the average individual off on leave, and what percentage of a given unit is off on leave at any given time?

People need to stop answering phones and working while on leave. Unfortunately, their only identity is being in the CAF and doing everything and anything ‘for the king’. They aren’t doing themselves and their mental health any favours.
Yes and no but how?

Since day one we are told that you need to take the grenade for the group. It's embeded in us to don't give a dang about worked hour. It will not stop easily.

Yes and no but how?

Since day one we are told that you need to take the grenade for the group. It's embeded in us to don't give a dang about worked hour. It will not stop easily.
I’ve never been told to take a grenade for the group lol.

The issue I think is that people do step up and do want to do the stuff that is needed. But the moment the need something or that maybe someone else can do it the institution could care less.

Case in point. I had an infantry type come to the CFRC some years ago. Guy had 12 years in, 3 tours almost back to back. Had enough. Wanted to remuster to Vtech or something like that. Wanted a change. Was tired. Wanted to stay in. The system said no despite the trade he wanted being in demand. So he quit. And reapplied after he quit because the system wouldn’t do it internally for “reasons”.

That guy did everything that was asked of him.

there are tons of stories like this.

Saying something is harder, is a pretty common way to imply that it's better, so it's not a stretch to read that into what you wrote. Now that you have clarified your intent I see what you are saying in the way it was intended.

Until you get tired of being pushed around by a system that doesn't take your personal life into account and you get out. Leaving the CAfF short yet another member...

Maybe people from occupations that don't get posted around much don't understand, but being told to move from one side of the continent to the other, on the whim of a few people at the top who don't care about your personal life, gets old real fast. My occupation routinely loses people due to postings/taskings decided upon by people two or three levels removed from the members being moved around.
I get it, its a hard life style choice. I have nothing but respect for those that make it work. My family has done 5 generations serving. Most of us don’t stick around more than 6-12 years in, only one made it a full time career until retirement.

Personally I decided I had enough and left the Regs, got a good civvy job, and started a family. The CAF isn’t conducive to that type of lifestyle and due to the nature of the work it can’t be, much in the same way fly in camp work, fishing, etc. isn’t conducive to having a strong family. I am of the opinion that the more we try to entertain that type of lifestyle the worse off the CAF shall actually be longterm.

Those divorced alcoholics which made up a lot of the more sr NCMs a couple decades ago were fairly devoted because they don’t have much else going for them. Once you get family involved it becomes messy and people aren’t as willing to go and fight. Or stay late to get work done. Or give up a weekend here or there.

Getting rid of shacks, drinking culture, and the camaraderie we once had was a mistake. Those things kept people in. Families actively encourage members to leave for more stability. The demands of the organization are too large to be another 9-5 job, its just a harsh reality.

What does a military summer look like, from both individual and institutional perspectives? From June -Aug how many weeks is the average individual off on leave, and what percentage of a given unit is off on leave at any given time?

I’ve known nothing but “take leave freely from April-Dec but you can’t carry more than 5 days into Jan, unless you have a good reason”. Long stretches of leave in July-Aug are generally encouraged.

toilet GIF

I’ve never been told to take a grenade for the group lol.

The issue I think is that people do step up and do want to do the stuff that is needed. But the moment the need something or that maybe someone else can do it the institution could care less.

Case in point. I had an infantry type come to the CFRC some years ago. Guy had 12 years in, 3 tours almost back to back. Had enough. Wanted to remuster to Vtech or something like that. Wanted a change. Was tired. Wanted to stay in. The system said no despite the trade he wanted being in demand. So he quit. And reapplied after he quit because the system wouldn’t do it internally for “reasons”.

That guy did everything that was asked of him.

there are tons of stories like this.
Those stories and there was too many are completely stupid and disgusting. I would like to know who and why it was done. I'm 100% with you.

The grenade was a figure of speech or was it :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Here’s what I’ve realized after just shy of 34 years in both Reg and Res, in tan, green and blue DEU

- leave is leave. Don’t give up the part of your work life that is away from your work life. The week after your leave is over, no one will care in the CAF you worked 4 days over
Christmas leave. Your family might.

- working 96 hours a week to “make it work” just results in no more resources being dedicated to whatever it is you’re doing. You’re actually fucking your replacement over…

- during operations, do what needs to be done whenever it needs to be done. Canada relies on us for that. If a life isn’t at stake or something like that, remember you have a family or friends or something someone else who wants part of your life too. It might be you and you’re just not listening to yourself.

- in the CAF you’re replaceable. In your own life and family, you’re probably not. Remember to give a f$$k about yourself. The CAF will forget about you less than a week after you release.

The arguments about Reg vs Res are old, circular and I don’t feel like jumping on that Merry go around tonight. I’ll just say we will all bleed red blood when it counts. And no one will care about cap badges and Sqn numbers then.

This threads gone dark while I've been off line.

Let me just say that nothing that I've said says anyone has to give up their summer leave. I'm dead set against that.

Yes, I'm calling for a paradigm shift in the system. For the ResF as much as the RegF.

Let's look at the fundamental problem Canada has right now. A force that has shrunk over the last several decades while its administrative overhead has expanded almost exponentially.

Any military has two fundamental function: first, to have a war fighting capability and second, to be able to administer itself. By administration I mean everything from recruiting to training to career development to equipment management to infrastructure management and so on. The reason for this is simple; the first is its raison d'etre and the second is the way that it meet the primary function. When allocating resources, senior leadership has to make a judgement call as to how to divide them amongst the two functions. There's a simple truth here. One can defer war fighting capabilities in the hope that a war will never happen while we can't defer administration because if we do then the whole house of cards will collapse while we are still living in it.

This is basically why the Class A reservist is a problem for the system. He contributes nothing to the day to day administration and in fact adds to its burden. His sole purpose is to be available for some future undefined combat capability that may or may not ever be needed.

On the other hand the system is enamoured with the Class B reservist because she does contribute to dealing with the day-to-day administrative burden. In fact, the only reason the RegF tolerates the ResF is because it is an inelegant way of developing and accessing Class Bs.

My problem is that I think that deterrence requires a credible military capability and, once deterrence fails, a credible fighting force. I'm not slagging individual people or units here, we have elements that do work and work well, but as a total force, Canada's military is far from credible.

The RegF always sees the solution to the problem as being to provide more funding for more RegF members and equipment for the RegF. If it doesn't get that it cuts out the least necessary capabilities of the day. If there's anything that living with the various Canadian governments should teach us it's that, for the Army, additional funding will not be forthcoming in the way that it would like. This is primarily because the Army is a hard sell in the first place and, in the second place, the Army's leadership is made up of particulalry bad salesmen.

That leaves us tied to our current resources and tweaking what we do have. One thing the Army has that's underperforming massively is the 16,000 or more ARes members that the government does pay for. The reserve force is legislatively designed specifically to be a stand by force. It's not a force that is designed to bulk out continuing, full-time positions in peacetime. It's a blatant misuse of the ResF to swamp the system with Class Bs for anything other than temporary training. I'd go so far as to say its against the law.

The problem--yup, another problem--is that because of a half century of misuse and abuse, the current ARes, and especially its dysfunctional leadership, makes it very difficult to fix. In a perfect world we could just buy them some kit and let them turn themselves into a northern National Guard. We all know that this COA would meet with limited success at best.

The only way that I can see creating a more credible Army is through a system of hybrid units and real integrated leadership and force management which would not only make various RegF officers responsible for developing the ResF into credible elements with the RegF personnel and equipment assigned to them, but to also making them accountable for that. That such a change requires a major adjustment in attitudes as well as the implementation of a host of enabling resources and policies goes without saying. This isn't just a solution that will be effected by having some RegF guys here or there give up their summer leave to train reservists. It's an entirely different way for the RegF and the ResF to do business.

The question one really has to answer is what other options are there?

🍻

why? Because it highlights how badly the reg force can’t staff and manage their positions and staffing levels? It’s actually nuts. I’m not exaggerating. When I worked at the CFRC 80% of the staff were reserves. No clue what it is now. People move from other areas for class b work in those areas draining other more remote areas.

It also has the highest concentration of units as well in that brigade. Montreal is no better as they support St Jean immensely. Also high density reserve units there.

So I agree with you. We barely get reg force support on training to begin with. Let them have their summers. Or whatever. But I am all in favour of pulling any ARES full time class B types to support ARES training and reconstitution.

Because its easier to turn the Div H&A position, example, into a class B than force someone out of their home and uproot their family. And leave a unit, that actually had work to do day to day, with out that experience. And Ottawa/Kingston has a butt load of those low pri but necessary positions.

When I did my 3s for supply, there was supposed to be 3 fully manned courses that summer but because they couldn’t find two MCpls in the CAF they cancelled one of the courses.

The CAF needs troops trained. I really don’t care where they get the instructors from but they need to grab them from somewhere, Regs or Reserves, and make it happen.

The reserves have the tools to fix this. @FJAG has expressed this many times. If the ARes wont use its own regulations to fix what ails it, it shouldn't be the RegF that has to back stop that.

What you fail to understand is that the Reg Force MCpl Sup Tech has a job too. Its where their posted too.

Good observation.

@FJAG has shown us, the tools are there.

I will tell you exactly what I said to my 9-9 at the time when he ask me for more sgt. for the summer under the almost threat not to train the unit member because we had not a lot of sgt.

1-Free up all those tens of Mcpl - WO ARes at CFLRS for the summer so they can train ARes instead of RegF Sure.
2-It's also part of the RegF job to train the reserve. (Remember what I told you earlier, ARes can do a bit but not everything. The RegF can't even train itself) So if we cant even get our own people pumped though the system, why would we take on the ARes ?
3- Sir, you really want me to tell all my working sgt to drop their job for the summer? Service before self, or so I am told.

Those white tower of me pissing farther then you as killed us. I haven't got a sweet clue what this is about, or what you're trying to say.

By the way, I understand that the battalions are empty. We can do by dropping those barrier and helping each other but why do that, hey!?

Getting rid of shacks, drinking culture, and the camaraderie we once had was a mistake. Those things kept people in. Families actively encourage members to leave for more stability.

Camaraderie doesn't need to come from a drinking culture. Yes, alcohol is a social lubricant and I like the occasional drink. But partying like you're 20 when you're 40 isn't helping anyone.

I'm not really sure that actively discouraging military folks to have families (should they choose to) is a really good COA.

Camaraderie doesn't need to come from a drinking culture. Yes, alcohol is a social lubricant and I like the occasional drink. But partying like you're 20 when you're 40 isn't helping anyone.

I'm not really sure that actively discouraging military folks to have families (should they choose to) is a really good COA.
Why you gotta attack me like that!? 😎

Back