• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recommendations on new boots

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
My 4 year old Lowa's have just about seen the end of their life and I have decided to shop around for a new pair of boots.  I have been thinking of replacing them with another pair of Lowa Combat GTX, but since I am now living in Canada, I thought that I would throw open the doors, and see what everyone else had to say here.  I am not playing Marine day to day any more, just hiking and observing the occasional exercise.  But I do want a great boot for you never know what the future might bring.  I still have a couple of pairs of boots in  the closet, but they are more of reserve boots.

So let's hear what advice everyone has.  Thanks in advance.

I have heard great things about the Hanwag boots, and if I get the chance that is what I will get. Unfortunately I haven't got any experience with them.

However, I've been wearing Asolo Fusion 85 (I think they might be 95s) for a few years and they are a really comfortable but light boot.

Bates Assault M9 line, best boot for the buck, kind of like all the Original SWAT, and Magnum's, but built better, with Vibram soles, and last longer.  Still feels like running shoes though.

Just to let everyone know, I chose to buy a pair of Danner Acadia after recommendations of some friends here in Ottawa.

acadias are a fine choice. I have the ft lewis ones which have the same sole as the acadias. extremely comfortable.

Just thought id give a quick review.

went on an ex this weekend, got almost 50-60km in on a day and a half of movement through ankle deep mud and swamp. Feet were completely dry and not sore. No blisters or hot spots, and feet werent overly damp from sweat. I wore the ft lewis danners(non insulated) and a guy in my det wore the acadias(insulated). Both of us were more than happy with them. Amazing boots, they were the only boots ive ever had that havnet given me foot pain, blisters, or hot spots. Danner gets 2 thumbs up ;) fourninerzero can back me up on this :salute:

I have a pair of the Lewis' with about 4 years on 'em and the Vibrams are nearly worn off and need to be replaced - I swear by the things.

Im thinking of using my ft lewis only in the field. I want a SWAT type boot for garrison use. any recommendations on LIGHT comfortable boots?

han wags all the way, wearing them when I go to holland for the Nijhmegen march.

Bomber said:
Bates Assault M9 line, best boot for the buck, kind of like all the Original SWAT, and Magnum's, but built better, with Vibram soles, and last longer.  Still feels like running shoes though.

+1 on these, I have had a pair of the side-zip ones (full GTX even with the zips) for 2 weeks now and I love them.  I haven't worn the Danner Ft Lewis yet so no comments on them BUT these Bates are the best boots I can get thru the system (orthodic's for me now).

Other than that, the only pair of boots I bought in '95 were Matterhorns while in Fort Knox.  You couldn't get me to take them off.  Loved them.

Back