• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

I posted a recipe to see that someone already had my beer butt idea :) It's neat eh!

HL , you have some amazing recipes ( wish I was a relative ). I'd say it's because your an East Coaster , and boy I tell yah... they cook best! I miss family reunions for that reason exactly. Im printing off the recipes as we speak . You definetly inspired me to be crackin' on the cookin'. And the Army.ca Cookbook idea sounds like it could fly.. Support the Troops fundraiser  :)

JESSO

Ribs my style,
Ingredients:

2 rack of beef ribs
1/2 bottle Tabasco sauce
5 tbs Worcestershire
5 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs ginger/garlic paste
2 tbs chilly powder
2 tbs honey
1 tsp soy sauce
1 small grated onion
2 stalks celery grated
3 tbs terriyaki sauce
some rosemary
salt/pepper to taste

preparation:

marinate the ribs in all the ingredients in a ziplock bag for 48 hours, grill to perfection, serve with spinach salad and smashers. Recipes below for spinach salad and smashers, again my style.

spinach salad:

1 bag baby spinach
1/2 tomato diced
3 stalks celery diced
1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
1/2 cup red pepper diced
1/2 cup carrots diced
1 orange peeled and cubed
1/2 cup cubed chedder cheese
salt/pepper to taste
5 tbs low fat raspberry vinaigrette ( you can get it at safeway)

mix all the above in a big bowl, when ready to serve pour in the vinaigrette and mix.

Smashers:

4 large potatoes (boiled and peeled)
2 tbs sour cream
1 tsp milk
1/4 cup green onions (leave some for garnishing)
2 stalks celery finely diced
1 clove garlic
1 cup grated cheese (leave some for garnishing)

mash the potatoes, mix all the ingredients together, scoop using an ice-cream scooper, place on plate, garnish with green onions and the grated cheese.

Now the presentation part:

Place the grilled BBQ ribs on plate, spoon the salad on one side garnish with coriander, spoon the smashers on the other side, drizzle some "EVOO" (extra virgin olive oil) on everthing. Enjoy with a glass of red wine.

well the above recipe is created by me, so if anyone tries it please let me know if you like it or not.
personally i love to cook and i never copy a recipe, just cook without a recipe so all the recipes i have given are my inventions, so enjoy and your welcome(if you like them).

cheers snowy :)

I read the recipes to hubby and kids and many were a must try for my family.
Figured I would get one of my own in 

BBQ SAUCE
1/4 C Ketchup
4 TBSP Molasses
2 TSP Soya Sauce
2 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
1/2 TSP Celery Salt
1/4 TSP Turmeric
1/4 TSP Thyme
1/4 TSP Curry Powder
Mix ingredients together (can be altered to taste) works well on all meats

Fav of mine, though I guess you have to like mincemeat:

Look in any recipe book for date squares, delete the date filling and add one jar or can of mincemeat-I suspect oats, brown sugar etc are better for you than pie pastry in any event.

Ever tried the fries (or nachos, same spices) at Montana's or Kelsey's and wondered what made them so good?

Montana's fry spice:
2 parts Onion salt
2 parts Garlic powder
1 part Table salt
1 part Black pepper

It's simple, but works wonders (especially if re-heating stale fries)

OK, since the Holidays are rolling around here is a favorite at my house.
KENTUCKY EGGNOG-WOODSON BEND COOKBOOK
24 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 Jamaican Rum
1 qt Vanilla Ice Cream
2 Bottles (fifths) of 101 Proof Kentucky Bourbon
1 qt heavy cream, Whipped.

Beat sugar into egg yolks until light and well aerated. Stir in rum and let mixture stand one hour until rum flavor has cooked the eggs. Add Bourbon. Just before serving stir in whipped cream and softened ice cream.
Pour into well chilled punch bowl, or keep half in fridge and refill as needed.

BUMP

BEER BATTERED ONION RINGS

2 Cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 12 ounce can of beer
Onions (Dummy) ones that are sweet and form good rings... ::)
Oil for deep frying

Mix the salt, flour, pepper, oil and eggs together in a large bowl. Pour in the beer and whisk until smooth.

Cut onions into rings of consistent thickness, about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch or they are tougher to cook.

Fry the buggers! You will need oil at a temperature of about 375. Cook 'em until they are golden brown then season with salt (I prefer sea salt)

I serve my rings with the Hot Mustard Jack Sauce from page one. Good combo.

BBQ SPUDS

Large Baking potatoes
Kosher Salt
Olive oil
Ziplock bag

Fire some salt and oil in the bag, drop in the spud then shake, hard. I like using coarse salt for this...

Fire onto a BBQ that is sitting at about 350 and bake the bastards. You'll have to be careful you don't scorch them, turn often and enjoy.

BACHELOR SANDWICH

2 Slices of Texas toast wonderbread
3-5 Table spoons of extra crunchy peanut butter
1 table spoon of strawberry jam (with real fruit!)

Apply copious amounts of peanut butter to bread using knife (or alternatively finger if no untensils are clean).
Then scrape remains of strawberry jam from the bottom of the container onto second peice of bread. Don't worry about the expiry date, you have been eating food like this for some time, and you have built up quite an immunity.
Apply peanut buttered side of bread to jammed side of second slice, close.
If you have a clean plate, this would be an exception opportunity to dirty it. If you have been so lucky as to still have the knife handy, or perhapse a spatula, crush or cut the sandwich widthwise, or for an extra fancy step, cut the sandwich at an angle.
By no means, remove the crust.... Mostly because there is no other food in the house, and you will probbably appreciate the extra nutrients.

*sorry all... had to add my own favorite *

I don't have a recipe book on hand but here is one of my favourites I like to make, and it's a fairly easy one I can think of off the top of my head. Just a regular grilled cheese sandwich, but put some garlic powder on the butter before pan frying it.

I'll have to hunt around for a few recipie's to share, as I do have quite a few. Sounds like a fun project! Thanks everyone for sharing.

~Rebecca~

Here is another one! This is one of my favourite things to make, the sauce also goes a long way and the leftovers freeze nicely. Feel free to use any kind of pasta, it's a heavier sauce so I prefer Fettuchini Noodles to go with it (and don't forget garlic bread and a cesar salad)  :)

Spaghetti

1 lb ground beef (or more depending on how many people will be eating)
1 clove garlic
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can (or fresh) mushrooms *if using the fresh ones, sautee them a bit first in garlic and butter
1 can tomato paste *adds nice thickness
1 can of your favourite sauce
1 can zucchini
1 green pepper *sautee with a bit of butter too, so it's not as crunchy

~Spices~
All depending on what your taste is, oregano, italian seasoning, CHILI POWDER (about a teaspoon or more if you like it spicy/this is the secret ingredient!)
garlic powder (but not too much as you'll be using the clove in the ground beef)

Brown ground beef with garlic clove, in a large saucepan, add your sautee'd green peppers and mushrooms. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, and your fave can or jar of sauce. Add ground beef when it's done browning. Add your spices, bring to a slow boil, then simmer for at least one hour.

Boil your pasta, set the table and enjoy!

~Rebecca~

proudnurse said:
I don't have a recipe book on hand but here is one of my favourites I like to make, and it's a fairly easy one I can think of off the top of my head. Just a regular grilled cheese sandwich, but put some garlic powder on the butter before pan frying it.

Thanks to you I have been eating way too many grilled cheese sandwiches.  :D

:D 9nr!

Ah! The staple food of winter time, grilled cheese sandwich to warm your tummy. Don't forget to add some bacon next time!  ;)

~Rebecca~

proudnurse said:
:D 9nr!

Ah! The staple food of winter time, grilled cheese sandwich to warm your tummy. Don't forget to add some bacon next time!  ;)

~Rebecca~

And some tomato soup! Yumm! That's what I had for lunch today.  ;D

Thanks for the idea Pea! Now I know what I want for lunch tomorrow  ;D

~Rebecca~

Flank Steak. After cooking make sure to let the meat rest a few minutes.

Marinade in Worcestershire sauce for several hours.
Very hot grill.Grill for 3 minutes a side to medium rare.
Take off grill and put it in a pan add butter/pepper
finish in oven for several minutes

JagerMeister drinks...  ;D

JagerBomb

1 Shot Jagermeister 1/2 can of Reb Bull (can be done with rocks too...)

Jagersour

Jägermeister 1/2 oz.
Sour Raspberry Pucker (Sour Puss) 1/2 oz.

Pour equal amounts of chilled Sourpuss and Jägermeister into a shot glass.

Jaggerbaby

Irish Cream (Bailey's) 1 part
Jägermeister 1 part

Just half of each. No layering required.

German Chocolate Cake... yum yum

1/2 parts Jagermeister
1/2 part chocolate liqueur
splash of coconut rum
splash of butterscotch schnapps

Dr Jager

2 parts Jagermeister
Cherry Soda... aka Dr Pepper..

May be I should quit my day job?

jagermeister.jpg

I think many CFs  will find this recipe a god send. I present to you, DONAIRS WITH SWEET SAUCE. Just like greco! (taken from Allrecipes.com Search dashs donair)

INGREDIENTS:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black
pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound ground beef

1 (12 fluid ounce) can
evaporated milk
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons white vinegar, or
as needed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a cup or small bowl, mix together the salt, oregano, flour, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
2. Place the ground beef in a large bowl, and use your hands to blend in the spice mixture. If you want the smooth texture of meat that you see in a real donair shop, you must do this in a steel mixing bowl and on a sturdy surface. Pick up the meat, and throw it down with force about 20 times, kneading it after each throw. This also helps the meat hold together better when you slice it.
3. Form the meat into a loaf, and place it on a broiler pan. If you do not have one, a baking sheet will do.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, turning the loaf over about half way through. This will ensure even cooking. This cuts better if you chill the meat overnight before slicing.
5. To make the donair sauce, mix together the evaporated milk, sugar and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the white vinegar, adding 1 teaspoon at a time, until thickened to your desired consistency.

That Donair recipe sounds awesome! I love them alot... I never would have thought to try and find a recipe for them, because I usually only order them when I go out sometimes, but now that I see the recipe here, I will have to try making them. My favourite thing to order with them, is that cucumber sauce! Thank you!

Rebecca

Back