• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-Loading Rounds

Right, nothing inherently wrong with interchanging 7.62 and .308. The FN is a strong design, and could well handle pressures generated by the .308 case as well as heavier bullet.

Like the differences between .223 and 5.56mm. They‘re there, but not always dangerous or even noticable.

The biggest point I‘d want to make though, it that as often as you hear that experience counts, with firearms that‘s not the whole story. Evidence along the lines of "I did it once" "My buddy did it once" is not really compelling... Knowledge is key here if you‘re reloading and don‘t want to eventually get hurt. Maybe it didn‘t fail that time, but fatigue in weapons is not only cumulative, but dependent on hundreds of factors. Knowledge keeps you safe. Read, learn, then do.

Just so everyone knows. Civilians are allowed to use DND ranges providing they belong to a Gun Club recognized by DND and have made arrangements to use a particular range. That they must have an RSO present that has been appointed by the gun club as competent in running a range. Also they have to abide by any range standing orders proscribed by range control. This is just a note for Dixon. Get rid of your IVI brass. You may have bought it legally but it is still IVI and not to be taken off the range. Who is to know that you bought it instead of taking it off the range. Personally I stay away from any brass with military markings on it so as not to cause any questions of where I got it or if I should have it. But then that is solely up to you.

Well as Dixon‘s neighbor, so to speak, but not defending him

Yes IVI is a prob. But good ole DND in someone’s infinite wisdom packaged up spent casings and declared them SURPLUS SCRAP METAL, MUNITIONS.

But instead of them being picked up by a smelter or what not for recycling. They found themselves sold as a bulk item (mixed metal-general)(as an example).

So our lad Dixon may have got a deal, but Hayrick is partially right. It isn‘t worth the hassle to get picked up with reloads.

IVI is a mil ball round and under the great ITAR rules and other restrictive laws, rules and regulations a gray area looking for a test case. Being a young man, Dixon, it really isn‘t worth it.

I consulted for a couple of big and small businesses last year concerning ITAR items. Regardless of the fact DND sold the stuff as bulk scrap, the actual original kit was listed as controlled. What a nightmare.

And yes I know what reloading is all about, try explaining how you reloaded a spent cartridge to a guy who has no concept of what you are talking about. All he will see is the IVI on the bottom (you may at that time note a slight saliva trail on the corner of his mouth as he prepares for the kill, which would be you...

In my opinion and mine only. Reload all you want, but expect one day some clown in a suit from Hull to knock on your door, seize your ammo and threaten you with a baseball bat called ITAR.

Oh yeah you will also get a CPIC entry, flagged and tagged by the Controlled Goods clown patrol and pretty much disgusted by most anything government there after. All without court time or ever being afforded your rights as guaranteed by the nefarious Constitution this government has gone out of their way to subvert.

This is one mans opinion. :rocket:

Well if what Harry says is true then
:eek: That could mean i could be of having quiiiite a hard time joining the Army next year, double :eek: Thanks for the Info Harry. BTW does anybody want to buy 100 rounds of Brass...hehe joking , im just going to take it to Wholesale Sports in Edmonton and sell it to them, they can deal with it there, Because i dont want any cogs in the gears come August.
FYI if anyone wants to try something just to see how powerful a Rifle primer is, when you reload just load primer, no charge no bullet and fire that and see how big it actualy is :rocket:

Great advice!  The reason you do not reload .303 brass for the SMLE is simple. Loose head spacing & loose breeches.  Also the SMLE's were designed around the Cordite charge.  The brass is also usually thin just above the head and will separate.  It is possible to reload for this round but I have found that even the reload manuals are too generous with the powders.  I did reload for awhile, until a batch I was working with did some thing even a .50 couldn't.  It spun me & sat me on my can.  I had already accurised the Rifle I was using.  So be very careful!!!  Also make sure the SMLE is a later version or better yet have an armourer you trust check it out carefully.  There is examples of these on walls with a split from breach to muzzle.  BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CH1 said:
The brass is also usually thin just above the head and will separate.  

This past Oct, I was an RSO for a Target / F Class competition for the local rifle association. There was a person shooting a LE # 4 re-barrelled to .308 (originally it was .303). Anyways, he was re-loading civi brass with a proven load. This was the second time he had reloaded this lot of brass and the casing did separate.  

The result was this:

XRay_front_xsm.jpg

That's a piece of the casing that was extracted through the bolt assembly and into my arm where I was standing 12 feet away.

If you are going to re-load, read up on it and be exact in your measurements.

That's my 2 cents! ;)

Oh joy!  If that #4 SMLE has been re barreled to .308, I would be retthinking & checking it closely.  Something is amiss.  My long range is a P14 Redone & rebarrelled to 7.62x51 Nato by the Brit Arsenal with an S & L 30 in bull barrel.  With the standard 147 gr Cdn rnd it cloverleafs out to 500 yds with out too much sweat.  Absolutely no problem with mil or civie brass.  shoots sweet.

Back