• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enrollment to the CF Questions

Returning to the Military

• recruting

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • update

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
mdh, were you on SHR/SRR when you went back?  Your post sounds like a good realistic assessment of the challenges of "getting back in".
Perhaps there needs to be some sort  of "retreading" to bring in people who have been out for awhile, such what as existed 50+ years ago to bring back WW2 veterans and their experience for use in the Korean War.

Hi redleafjumper,

No I wasn't SRR and my military skills were too "degraded" for much in the way of equivalencies (with maybe the exception of drill which was burned into my consciousness, probably forever :p).

I think you raise a good point about "retreading" folks who want to comeback.

How this would work I don't know (there probably could be a more compressed approach to BMQ with a refresher, for example, rather than a total re-do of stuff that most former military guys already know too well) - but despite quite a bit of "evangelizing" on behalf of the militia for potential "older" recruits (some with military experience some without) among friends, colleagues and family who are initially interested, once they find out what training commitments are required, they usually pass. (Generally speaking they can commit to evenings, some weekends, and even a couple of weeks in the summer - but beyond that it gets tricky especially with MOC courses which can run several weeks.)

However, the truth is that there has been zero interest in even looking at this issue in our neck of the woods (despite lots of rhetoric about "community footprint" and the importance of getting established members of the community into the primary reserves), and I suspect the real reason is that it's too complicated administratively to undertake such an initiative - students are just an easier target market and the infrastructure already exists to get them into the system.

cheers, mdh  ;)

Even if I was able to get back in, I would have a problem with getting on courses.

Getting on a 4 - 6 week course in the summer would be next to impossible for me.  My best bet would be night/weekend warrior courses, but they wouldn't be as good of quality as those run at Battle School.

:(

Getting on a 4 - 6 week course in the summer would be next to impossible for me.  My best bet would be night/weekend warrior courses, but they wouldn't be as good of quality as those run at Battle School.

My point exactly, Rangerray, and we lose a great potential asset for the reserve world.

The quick and dirty solution? Do the night/weekend warrior courses (if they existed) designed for guys like us - and if you need to deploy - do a workup and fix the training delta so that you're ready to rock in the real world.... 8)

cheers, mdh

Well it can be done....trust me went thru Cornwallis in `86 (Basic Training) did my 3`s in Borden and then was posted to NDMC...spent 4 glorious years in the military then poof along came the Rug Rat. So a choice had to be made 2 medics both posted to field units what is a Mom to do. So i got out and started raising my child...then it hit me I missed the military way too much so in `91 i headed to the Recruiting office and poof they were ready to take me again. Went thru all the bells and whistles just to find out on my Part 2 medical that i was Preggers again...So military life for me was on hold figured it was a sign to raise my children....So now my kids are 16 and 14 and well lets just say Im at it again....Left for Basic in St Jean on Aug 27th 2005....its a long hard road but worth every step of the way.
I would be reaching my 20 yr on May 14th 2006.....regretting getting out but not for the reasons i got out...Have 2 great kids that are supporting their Mom`s decision to pursure a military career again...Thanks Boys...and a great hubby who is learning what its like to be a Single Parent at times....So dont put off the decision any longer trust me get ur arse into gear and reach for the stars...If this old lady can do it anyone can....

Lead Follow or get the Hell outta the way.... :salute: :cdn:

Well done Shannon!
Like you I joined the regs in 85 ..spent almost 10 years in the armd corps....didnt get pregnant but got pi$$ed off...no courses/ no promotions. Mid 90's were a crappy time to be in. Joined the reserves when I got out, and did it part time till 1.5 years ago....now I realize it was the only job I loved and that I left the regs for the wrong reasons. So I am currently in the process of getting back in the regs...cant wait. I was a sergeant when I got out of the resevres so I'll probably go in as a cpl....Cant wait. Able to buy back pension...I can do 12 years and retire or even another 20 as I am only 38...Life is looking better already.  you have alot of guts and i applaud you. :salute:

Interesting topic for me. I did three years as a trained Private in the Reserves and got out in 2002. I transferred to the SHR/SRR (forget which is which...). I've been thinking of getting back in, maybe sometime over the next year or two.  My impression is that I could get back in without having to be re-trained or go through the full recruiting process. I wonder, is there a particular length of time that has to pass before you have to be re-trained?

I know there have been some changes (ie. I left just before I would have gotten CADPAT) but nothing I couldn't see being able to pick up quickly. I'm pretty determined to get back as soon as I am physically ready. Anyone have any thoughts on any obstacles I might face or the length of time it might take once I re-apply? I notice an earlier poster mentioned it was relatively quick but he was an officer I think. Maybe there are differences with a former Private.

Infantry_wannabe said:
Interesting topic for me. I did three years as a trained Private in the Reserves and got out in 2002. I transferred to the SHR/SRR (forget which is which...). I've been thinking of getting back in, maybe sometime over the next year or two.  My impression is that I could get back in without having to be re-trained or go through the full recruiting process. I wonder, is there a particular length of time that has to pass before you have to be re-trained?

I know there have been some changes (ie. I left just before I would have gotten CADPAT) but nothing I couldn't see being able to pick up quickly. I'm pretty determined to get back as soon as I am physically ready. Anyone have any thoughts on any obstacles I might face or the length of time it might take once I re-apply? I notice an earlier poster mentioned it was relatively quick but he was an officer I think. Maybe there are differences with a former Private.

Back into the reserves?  No involvement on the part of the CFRC/D if you are still on the SRR/SHR.  Just contact the unit you want to join and they will take it from there.  They will even give a better deal when it comes to previous qualifications.

Kincanucks, what is the process if you are still on SHR/SRR, would be changing MOC, and you have been out for a long time (over ten years)? 

redleafjumper said:
Kincanucks, what is the process if you are still on SHR/SRR, would be changing MOC, and you have been out for a long time (over ten years)? 

For the reserves or Reg F?

redleafjumper said:
Sorry, I should have said.  It would be old reserve service and going to PRes.

Well getting any credit for previous trade courses would be out of the question and the reserves don't put the same 10 year cap on basic training as the Regs do so you may get credit for that.  Visit your local reserve unit and start the procress.

Kincanucks,

A follow up to my original post on this subject.

Before I was released in Dec. I was considering a transfer to NCM. I met with the BPSO and none of the trades I was interested in were open (getting near the end of the fiscal year) so I had to take my release. The only restriction on my file is for leadership (obviously since I failed the small party tasking). From the new fiscal year #'s you posted I see those NCM trades are now open. So a couple of questions for you.

1. Is it still a six month waiting period regardless of the reason for release.
2. Would I still be granted a BMQ exemption upon re-enrollment (I was told I would have been granted this in Dec. if I would have transferred to NCM).

Thank-you

1. Is it still a six month waiting period regardless of the reason for release.  Six months to apply and if the reason for release requires investigation than a longer wait after applying.

2. Would I still be granted a BMQ exemption upon re-enrollment (I was told I would have been granted this in Dec. if I would have transferred to NCM). Don't see why not.

I suppose that this is as good a place as any to submit this response (I don't know how long it's been since I've posted something) and it may even have some relevance to the topic.

The history of my particular plight is well documented in the murky corners of this site, so not much point going over that terrain. I've had some frustrations and I found it a bit theraputic to express myself from time to time. Bottom line: I regretfully parted ways in 1998 w/ the RCR thinking that I'd be out for 6 months for a bit of rehab, then I figured* I'd return once I sorted myself out a bit eh.

*First lesson kids, NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. That one's a bit self explanatory.

Needless to say, life didn't work out as I planned. The 90s.... well, not the best time for the CF was it?

So, here's where it is. I've finally been sorted. Meds/Phys/Sec Clr, etc... I've been offered a position within the CF and I'm awaiting the results of my PLAR. No idea as to when the results will be in or where I'll end up. Seems things have changed a bit in the past 8 years and I'm expecting some retraining of course. Wonder if I'll remember how to lace m'boots eh?

And I suppose thats that. 8 years out, just over 7 enduring the process to return. My little bit of advice, if you're thinking of leaving, be absolutely certain. If you do and may one day want to return, cover yourself completely. Take the time to ensure that your options aren't closed to you. Maybe it'll be easier with the proposed changes. I'd like to believe that.

Dunno if that'll be of any use, but it is what it is.

kincanucks said:
1. Is it still a six month waiting period regardless of the reason for release.  Six months to apply and if the reason for release requires investigation than a longer wait after applying.

2. Would I still be granted a BMQ exemption upon re-enrollment (I was told I would have been granted this in Dec. if I would have transferred to NCM). Don't see why not.

Follow up questions :

Reference your answer #1 above - Assuming I apply for NCM and the fact I was released because of a leadership issue will I still have to go through this "investigation" before my application can proceed.

Reference your answer #2 above - Would this exemption require going through the PLAR process.

Thank-you,

Reference your answer #1 above - Assuming I apply for NCM and the fact I was released because of a leadership issue will I still have to go through this "investigation" before my application can proceed.  Yes

Reference your answer #2 above - Would this exemption require going through the PLAR process. Yes

I can tell you about my experience. I joined in 1993 as a Rad Op/Signal Reserve. I left in 1997 and went on the SHR. About three years ago I started the process of going back in, after learning that my chosen career is in demand. I was in the process for almost three years before finally getting back in. The big stumbling block was my allergy to bee stings, even though I had the same allergy the last time I was in it wasn't documented properly on my file.

Two and a half years later I am finally back in, they have given me credit for my BMQ but as I am now an officer cadet iI will have to do that training (which is just fine). The only problem is that things have changed over the past few years, my reliable babysitter is having health issues and my husband may need to travel a bit for his job, so CAP may be a problem.  To be fair my unit and G1 officer are being very flexible and trying damn hard to make it work, pursuing every avenue possible.

Wow I feel I have found some kindred spirits here. I thought I was going to be the oldest one on course but reading through this forum I may have a couple of colleagues who saw Seinfeld the first time around there with me :). The 90’s were a brutal time for the CF and that is when I got out of the reserves. We would often start the training year with two full rifles companies only to loose a third of our strength by the spring. My former unit lost 5 excellent NCO’s one year who just through up their arms and walked away because they had had it with all the nonsense. Like someone else has mentioned many of the reasons I left still exist but they don't outweigh the benefits for me as I see it today. I don’t regret leaving but I always missed it and want to do some more before I get too many more gray hairs.

I am going back now as an officer and it has been 10 years, so I am starting from scratch which I don’t mind at all. One of the campaign promises of the new government was to open garrisons in major cities. I really hope this is one they keep because I know that the isolation is a big reason why many are turned-off by the CF. At the same time having shacks and classrooms in urban centres might relieve some of the family concerns that we mature boomerang reservists have about getting courses. For the reserves I think it is vital to have more attention on the social aspects of the unit as well and I don’t just mean getting faced with your buddies in the mess. There should be more events where you can bring your family, let your hair down a bit and get to see your colleagues out of uniform. I think that these are some ways to bring about that “community foot-print” that was mentioned and help with some of the retention issues.

Hi everyone..  I am new to this board (and French speaking from Montreal).  I was a Naval Reserve Officer (MARSS) for 1 year only may 1994 to may 1995.  I did BOTC with officers from Regforce in Chilliwack (back then).  I decided to re-enlist as a marine engineer mechanic (Non-commissionned) last october (2005).  I am just about to get a phone call to sign the contract of enrollement.  It is already sure that I DO NOT have to go through the BMQ all over again, Borden already said I am BMQ qualifyed as well as MQ3 qualifyed (I have a degree in marine engineering).  So I go back as fully qualifyed, ready for emplyment.  I am still waiting to see what rank the :skull:y will give me (I assum Leading seaman).  I was surprised I don't have to do BMQ all over again since I did the officers one (BOTC) in 1994 (12 years ago!!).  Anyways, no complains here. 

What can I expect for a rank?  Leading seaman seems logical, right? 

Thanks for the answers

Stoker34    :salute:

Welcome back.

Rank will depend on what the career manglers are willing to give you for equivalencies.

After 12 years, am surprised they have waived BMQ cause I know of several who have been sent back to the start line - cause a lot has changed in the last 12 years.

Back