• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP to city...or vice versa

ds86

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

This is my first post on this site. I was referred to it by a friend already in the process of RCMP recruitment. I'm from the Vancouver area (Abbotsford), but recently moved to Calgary. Im beginning my stages of recruitment, as Im pulling together things for my application.
My general plan was to join with the Calgary City Police. Now I am going to persue the RCMP for various reasons. I was wondering (not planning on it, just curious) if people from city police can transfer to the RCMP after a certain amount of time (or vice versa) and what the process would be.

ds86,

Yes, you can transfer from a municipal police force to the RCMP, here is a link for a little more info,  http://rcmp.ca/recruiting/other_police_e.htm .  I know some officers who have left my department and gone to the Mounties, some had to go to Regina for a condensed version at the Depot. I don't know what was covered or how long.  A couple of others stayed locally in the GTA for their "in house" training and once completed they were posted to the Pearson International Airport.

There may be somebody else on the forum who has done this transfer who may be able to shed a little more light.

mpitts

These are called Lateral Transfers you might also see advertisements looking for Experienced Applicants.

As has been mentioned previously it's an applicants market...that goes for experienced police officers as well. If you look at the costs to put someone through the recruiting process and then 6 months of training at a training school thats big bucks. So if you can entice already trained folks from another agency then you save big time. Not only that but they bring other skill sets and training with them that someone else paid for!

The only drawback to this whole issue is pension. I can only speak about BC, but if you are going from Federal (RCMP) to Municipal Police you will not be able to transfer your pension. However I have heard that a change to this may be in the works.

There are many reasons why folks make the "Big" move, these may be that they seek a different work environment or location, They may want to work in a particular field or section that their present employer doesn't have, It may be for economoic reasons such as pay and benefits or they may just be looking for a change.

It is my opinion that there will be even more movement between police agencies throughout the country, especially if the pension issue gets sorted out.

Cheers
Noneck

Back