• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP New Firearms Required Discussion- Split From New MP Decal Thread

Booter

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

The RFI is out and there is a timeline attached for the pistol replacement and we re figuring out how the rollout and training will work.

What we’ll blame for shooting frustration then I can only wait and see.

I’ve worked with the MPs a fair amount, but it’s a little dated now. It’s a unique little niche that has duties that civilian police conduct along with their army stuff.

My anecdotal experience is they would like to be good at their tasks but they don’t have the support of experience on most types of criminal files. Several years ago Borden was considered the busy base for crimes against person- but so many MPs in the guardhouse meant that the experience was quite diluted across them.

You could say similar about a lot of small police forces in some provinces but to a lesser degree.

I happened to enjoy working with them when I had the chance. But it’s not the same job. I’m basing that off the guardhouse in a few locations, CFNIS, SOF MPU on one file years ago.

It’s security and army work with police duties attached to it. And my opinion is they organizationally overemphasize the Police portion of their work: for a reason I’m not in a position to understand as an outsider

Or perhaps rebranding to more closely resemble their civilian police counterparts? Most forces now have external carriers and jackets with large POLICE branding on them so the 'ol "I didn't know he was a Police officer" defence doesn't pass the sniff test anymore.

But more on topic about car decaling, I really hope somebody decides to refresh the RCMP cruiser look, its been the same since 1994 just like the pistol we carry (n)
Other than some striping and other minor changes, the OPP livery hasn't changed since the mid-'60s.

So, Glock?
The RFI is out and there is a timeline attached for the pistol replacement and we re figuring out how the rollout and training will work.
Can you do it in less than three decades, without any complaints about the process being lodged by suppliers who felt they were disqualified by a strictly worded RFI?
What we’ll blame for shooting frustration then I can only wait and see.
The Instructors, of course.

So, Glock?

Can you do it in less than three decades, without any complaints about the process being lodged by suppliers who felt they were disqualified by a strictly worded RFI?

I’m still rolling out something from five years ago…that’s actually where this came up. I’m going to say it’ll be in place 3 years-ish. There’s a unit where the guys this will be the project until retirement 3-5 years

On this topic- MPs are the cops on their bases so their cars and uniforms should look That way.

I did several courses with CFNIS guys and some of them out did their civi counterparts.

The everyday guys were a massive undertaking to get through their lateral quals. But it was just as much an RCMP nonsense issue.

Cops always create weird hierarchies if you suggest they aren’t the worlds busiest cop. So it’s hard to talk about without people being offended.

One file where I was planning some entries on support the corporal given to me had good ideas and planning. His NCO was a complete dingus and shut him down. So right there you had good dudes and bad ones

I was super surprised when one of our units went to glock. But I just talk shit in the smoke pit.

So, Glock?

If it looks like a Glock, sounds like a Glock and smells like a Glock, it's probably a Glock.

I was super surprised when one of our units went to glock. But I just talk shit in the smoke pit.
TANGENT ALERT: We had the Glock rep at work one pandemic ago and we tried out about a dozen different offerings in 9mm.
Please, god, no.

I'd even accept a S&W M&P9 over the CZ.
CZ owns Colt Canada. They build the P07 and P09. Both could be Canadian made duty pistols, if they want them to be. So what if they don't meet the specs of the RFP. Neither did the LSVW at first. Specs can be amended.

All we need now is fund the construction of a factory in Québec. :D

TANGENT ALERT ENDS

Last edited:
TANGENT ALERT: We had the Glock rep at work one pandemic ago and we tried out about a dozen different offerings in 9mm.

CZ owns Colt Canada. They build the P07 and P09. Both could be Canadian made duty pistols, if they want them to be. So what if they don't meet the specs of the RFP. Neither did the LSVW at first. Specs can be amended.

TANGENT ALERT ENDS
Glock has been getting aggressive. Promising all types of mods

TANGENT ALERT ENDS
If we end up with an LSVW of a pistol...

....you'll be decades ahead of the CAF.
Is a new hunk of crap that rarely if ever works better than an old, quality made device that has just worn out and been passed by the times?

Come to think of it we could probably split the new RCMP pistol discussion into its own thread starting with the RFI post

Please, god, no.

I'd even accept a S&W M&P9 over the CZ.
I have one in .40. It's not one of my main shooters and in truth, hasn't been fired in a couple of years. However, I've never had any trouble with it. It's tight, hits what it pointed at and shoots well. As far as using it as a duty pistol, I also have other preferences, but it's still a good personal plinker in my experience.

I have one in .40. It's not one of my main shooters and in truth, hasn't been fired in a couple of years. However, I've never had any trouble with it. It's tight, hits what it pointed at and shoots well. As far as using it as a duty pistol, I also have other preferences, but it's still a good personal plinker in my experience.
I don't own an M&P9 but a couple of my shooting partners own them and they fit well in my hand, I can't say I have any complaints about them.

I've heard alternately over the last couple years they will choose a Glock, Sig P320, or a M&P9.

I've also heard at different times that the Glock was a no because you have to pull the trigger to disassemble it and members might shoot themselves, that the P320 was a no due to firing when dropped/CANSOFCOM issues, and the M&P9 was a no because S&W withdrew support for our existing pistols and somebody was butthurt and wanted to stick it to them.

And before anybody says the Glock/shoot themselves thing is a joke, shortly after the C8 started its force wide rollout users were told to stop conducting function checks because too many rounds were being pounded into Detachment ceilings. That being said, I worry if they roll out red dot sights Force wide the lowest common denominator member is going to ruin a good thing for everybody else by not maintaining the thing.

CZ's are the pistol of choice for IPSC, mainly due to the lower barrel profile, but also because they are well made and seem to stand up to high round counts, a lot more than can be said of the Beretta or HP. Most higher end pistols now come with a optional base for a red dot and rails are a given. I really like shooting a red dot, but trying to maintain them for a widely dispersed force who's firearm's interest and knowledge spans from disinterested to excellent will be a tough one.

One gun I always thought the Army and the RCMP should have gone for is the Sig 2022

10996748_03_sig_sauer_sp2022_9mm_pistol_640.jpg

Honestly if it weighs a little less, has combat sights on it and a flashlight I'll be happy. Certain models and options will make me more or less happy, as the case may be.

I don't own an M&P9 but a couple of my shooting partners own them and they fit well in my hand, I can't say I have any complaints about them.

I've heard alternately over the last couple years they will choose a Glock, Sig P320, or a M&P9.

I've also heard at different times that the Glock was a no because you have to pull the trigger to disassemble it and members might shoot themselves, that the P320 was a no due to firing when dropped/CANSOFCOM issues, and the M&P9 was a no because S&W withdrew support for our existing pistols and somebody was butthurt and wanted to stick it to them.

And before anybody says the Glock/shoot themselves thing is a joke, shortly after the C8 started its force wide rollout users were told to stop conducting function checks because too many rounds were being pounded into Detachment ceilings. That being said, I worry if they roll out red dot sights Force wide the lowest common denominator member is going to ruin a good thing for everybody else by not maintaining the thing.
No… the lowest common denominator member will frig it up by using the weapon light as a flashlight.

Back