• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

canada94 said:
Meanwhile we have a staff of 72, 000 (wiki could be wrong of course) obsolete postal workers.. but lets cut policing.

Stupid IMHO.

- Mike

Police, and the emergency services, have enjoyed growth and job security. At, or near, the top of the civilian public sector, with the wages and benefits they deserve. 
But, as the public sector disappears, or their jobs are contracted out to privatized workers competing in the “race to the bottom,” they are riding high on a sinking ship.
Just my  :2c:

mariomike said:
Police, and the emergency services, have enjoyed growth and job security. At, or near, the top of the civilian public sector, with the wages and benefits they deserve. 
But, as the public sector disappears, or their jobs are contracted out to privatized workers competing in the “race to the bottom,” they are riding high on a sinking ship.
Just my  :2c:

Saying the RCMP has enjoyed "growth" doesn't sit well with me, when resource managers have stated they are well below optimal service numbers. I just think cutting something as essential as law and order simply isn't the best idea. Especially when we have many outdated services that should be privatized.

- Mike

canada94 said:
Saying the RCMP has enjoyed "growth" doesn't sit well with me, when resource managers have stated they are well below optimal service numbers.

I said, "Police, and the emergency services, have enjoyed growth and job security."
By "have enjoyed", I was speaking in the past tense. Sorry if any offense or misunderstanding was caused.  :)

I was remembering the growth in recruiting and call volume I observed locally over the last ( almost ) four decades as a worker, and a pensioner. I would not be surprised if RCMP recruiting and call volume has grown at a similar rate during that period of time.
From the newspapers, I understand services have fallen on hard times recently. Call volume is up, and recruiting is down. There is even talk of layoffs for the first time.

canada94 said:
I just think cutting something as essential as law and order simply isn't the best idea. Especially when we have many outdated services that should be privatized.

I hear you. I am retired, so contract negotiations no longer affect me. But, this is the local message to our firefighters from their association. Police ( regardless of employer ) may be in a similar situation:
"Our jobs are not likely to be privatized or face those types of pressure. But, as other areas of the public sector are privatized and the real wage for workers falls; as the middle class disappears even further, it will be more and more difficult to negotiate reasonable gains and maintain our position."

Highlight mine.

mariomike said:
I said, "Police, and the emergency services, have enjoyed growth and job security."
By "have enjoyed", I was speaking in the past tense. Sorry if any offense or misunderstanding was caused.  :)

I was remembering the growth in recruiting and call volume I observed locally over the last ( almost ) four decades as a worker, and a pensioner. I would not be surprised if RCMP recruiting and call volume has grown at a similar rate during that period of time.
From the newspapers, I understand services have fallen on hard times recently. Call volume is up, and recruiting is down. There is even talk of layoffs for the first time.

I hear you. I am retired, so contract negotiations no longer affect me. But, this is the local message to our firefighters from their association. Police ( regardless of employer ) may be in a similar situation:
"Our jobs are not likely to be privatized or face those types of pressure. But, as other areas of the public sector are privatized and the real wage for workers falls; as the middle class disappears even further, it will be more and more difficult to negotiate reasonable gains and maintain our position."

Highlight mine.

You didn't offend me :)

I understand that everyone has to face cuts.. both my parents are mounties so it touches home.. :( ... I just would like the pocket books to be maintained equally and fairly among everyone.. 87% is a very very very very absurd cut to me..

- Mike

So has anyone heard any news about their applications or been accepted to the force? Been awhile since anyone last posted. Thought I'd try and revive the thread.

So has anyone heard any news about their applications or been accepted to the force? Been awhile since anyone last posted. Thought I'd try and revive the thread.

This from July, 2011.
"OTTAWA—The RCMP has slashed its training of new recruits as it becomes the latest in a string of federal departments and agencies to cope with belt-tightening, the Star has learned.":
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1021452--rcmp-recruit-training-slashed-as-ottawa-grapples-with-budget-squeeze

Hello & thankyou to everyone who will be able to give me a little insight into the RCMP life!! ;D

I am very interested in joining the RCMP but how do I get started? If I apply will I be accepted? Is my training paid for by the governent or must I pay for it myself?

Do all RCMP officers get to own horses? How can I get into that? I've been riding horses much of my life and love having them around.

Also if I go into the Military for a Medical Technician and are deployed with them for a couple years, will I have an easier time transferring into the RCMP?

I know I probably sound pretty naive so feel free to give me your most honest, blunt answer about this job. I'm intrigued that there's a lot of travelling and that most of it is quite rural. By the way, Im female! :p

Thank-you again! :-*

You can start at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca

No they do not get their own horses. If you participate with the Mounted Troop/Musical Ride then you will care for one for the duration of the season.

Training is 6 months in Regina, SK. It is paid.

Before you're even hired there is a lengthy application process of interviews, security checks, polygraph testing; so no, you will not be accepted just by applying.

Last I heard, every officer did get their own horse issued, but you had to leave it at the station unless you had a valid equine PAL.

armyheart said:
Hello & thankyou to everyone who will be able to give me a little insight into the RCMP life!! ;D

I am very interested in joining the RCMP but how do I get started? If I apply will I be accepted? Is my training paid for by the government or must I pay for it myself?

Do all RCMP officers get to own horses? How can I get into that? I've been riding horses much of my life and love having them around.

Also if I go into the Military for a Medical Technician and are deployed with them for a couple years, will I have an easier time transferring into the RCMP?

I know I probably sound pretty naive so feel free to give me your most honest, blunt answer about this job. I'm intrigued that there's a lot of travelling and that most of it is quite rural. By the way, Im female! :p

Thank-you again! :-*

There is no guarantee you will be accepted. Your training is paid for.

We do not get our own horses. Only the musical ride posted to Ottawa still has equestrian duties and riding courses. You need several years in to apply- and then pass their selection. Whatever that entails.

Being in the military may help your application and it may not. There is no specific leg up it gives you.

Most of the policing is rural with the exception of BC.  And even that has its rural side. Some people move every 2 years, some people move once their whole career.

You have to talk to a recruiter for them and/or do one of their career presentations now. You can check on their recruiting website for contact numbers and presentations near you.

Also, the process can be incredibly long and drawn out (before anyone goes crazy - I have done most of it before having to quit a few years ago and just rewrote the Aptitude test last month). There are pretty well as many steps as the Military, if not more. Before you even get all worked up about it you need to write their personality test and their aptitude test (you can find study aids on their website). If you pass both you will be sent a selection package and given a certain amount of time to complete it and bring it back. You better not have touched drugs in 3 years either, they don't care as much if you have done drugs, but a certain amount of time has to have passed before you can be accepted into the recruiting process. So, that's the bare bones of how to get started.

Honestly, if you had of just checked their website, all of your questions would have already been answered for you...someone already provided it, use the link.

Good Luck

Delaney1986 said:
Honestly, if you had of just checked their website, all of your questions would have already been answered for you...someone already provided it, use the link.

All done.

Aug 24, 2016

RCMP allows Muslim women Mounties to wear hijab
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-diversity-policy-hijab-1.3733829
New policy aims to better reflect diverse communities and recruit more Muslim officers

The Mounties have adopted a new uniform policy to allow female Muslim officers to wear the hijab.

Pretty big yawn of a story. A few of the usual bigots will get riled up, but ultimately it will have no real significant impact. It's just the Sikh turban thing over again except most people are less stupid now.

Brihard said:
Pretty big yawn of a story. A few of the usual bigots will get riled up, but ultimately it will have no real significant impact. It's just the Sikh turban thing over again except most people are less stupid now.

I'm not so sure of that.

Brihard said:

Concur, we made it pass Sikhs in the legion, Sikhs in the army, Long haired natives in the army, Wiccans in the army, Muslim females in the RCMP should be easy. 

Lightguns said:
Concur, we made it pass Sikhs in the legion, Sikhs in the army, Long haired natives in the army, Wiccans in the army, Muslim females in the RCMP should be easy.

According to The Sun, Toronto Police have had the hijab since 2011,

Police uniforms include the hijab
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/19/police-uniforms-include-the-hijab

Check out the grey haired guy in the back. Is that a face palm? :)

Attachments

• tor9.png
    tor9.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 318
A few muslim women and maybe the boys will stay of their desks and keep their pants on.......I sorry I couldn't resist....

mariomike said:
Oct 6, 2016

The RCMP will announce the settlement of major harassment claims Thursday that could see hundreds of current and former female Mounties compensated tens of millions of dollars.
http://www.680news.com/2016/10/06/rcmp-to-settle-harassment-suits-in-bid-to-heal-festering-wounds-2/

I remain surprised that there is no DND equivalent going on........  Some enterprising lawyer is missing the boat on a class action.

Link no longer works. This one does,

Oct 06, 2016

$100M compensation for harassment, sexual abuse against female members
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-paulson-compensation-harassment-1.3793785

Back