• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP cameras with crime photos found in trees

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
I actually wanted to put this in the "Dumbest thing heard" thread.

Article Link

A B.C. man has seized two surveillance cameras he says RCMP had hidden in trees near his trailer home, and they are full of images from crime scenes and investigations.

Dion Nordick of Grand Forks told CBC News on Tuesday he found the motion-activated cameras in June, in trees overlooking the trailer he rents. They are now in his lawyer's possession.

Nordick said he took the cameras down, removed the memory cards inside, and found pictures of himself and his friends coming and going from his trailer among the 200 images on the cameras.

There were also pictures of drug busts, suicides and assaults, "and it looked like they just hadn't been erased off the card,” said Nordick.

He said he saw a photo of a dead body and images of a woman who was the apparent victim of an assault.

“That corpse that I viewed is someone's loved one. Those pictures of that woman standing in her brassiere, covered in bruises — she probably had a hard time letting the police take those pictures. She probably had a hard time going to the police,” said Nordick.

The cameras even had pictures of police installing the devices in the trees.

He said he was alerted to the cameras because they used a flash when they were filming.

“The fact that someone has committed a criminal act and stolen our cameras certainly is, I guess, a concern for RCMP and for our investigators,” said Sgt. Dan Seibel.

More at link

Stolen?  But they were just hanging in trees on private property.  Sounds like pretty shoddy work to me.

Well, at least he wasn't doing something dangerous.  You know, like handling a stapler around an RCMP officer.

One hopes the new commissioner will institute a "must have a clue" policy for all new hires in the RCMP...

Well, look at it this way, at least they didn't use their personal cameras, with glory pics of their wifey on it. 

Besides I'm sure they at least put the "This is not a camera" sticker on it, to try to distract people away from the camera flashes. 

PS the other side of the "This is not a camera" sticker says, "This is not the property of the RCMP, but if found please return to the RCMP."

I find it interesting that in spite of a 26 page thread about CBC bias, people are quite happy to take their word as gospel when it comes to bashing the RCMP.
In my long experience as a CBC listener, it has been my observation that the CBC dislikes the RCMP even more than they do the CF.

Now the good Lord knows Her Majestie's Cowboys are capable of some spectacular screw-ups -just like every other police force service in this country. But why on earth are people here -people who should know better- so quick to suddenly take the CBC at face value ?

For sure this sounds bad. It probably is bad. The statement by that sergeant sounded pretty brain-dead.
But me personally, I'll be reserving judgement until I hear both sides of this.
Because sure as hell, we're not getting the full story from the CBC.

My :2c: Dog-pile me if you deem it necessary.

Edited to correct an annoying tendency of mine to use "buzzwords" repeatedly in the same post.

Your point is well taken, Moe, but again, there are two sides to every story.
For example, this excerpt from CNEWS:

Dion Nordick says two motion-activated spy cameras were hidden in trees on his property in the town about 600 km east of Vancouver. Police say they were not, in fact, on his property but pointed at the driveway of the home he rents, to photograph vehicles coming and going.

"The RCMP is well familiar with case law with respect to privacy," Seibel said. "Certainly we would not jeopardize an investigation by putting up illegal cameras -- it would only make any evidence obtained be dismissed."

The surveillance was part of a marijuana grow-op investigation police were conducting in June. More than 200 images from other investigations were either not deleted or not properly deleted from the memory cards inside.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/11/16/18977021.html

I believe I stated in my original post that the RCMP is quite capable of screwing up. I just thought that maybe they should be given the same "innocent until proven guilty" consideration that we give everyone else. 

And your point is well taken, too. 

Actually, the reason I originally posted was that the guy was alerted to the cameras because of the flash.  I just thought it was funny.

PMedMoe said:
And your point is well taken, too. 

Actually, the reason I originally posted was that the guy was alerted to the cameras because of the flash.  I just thought it was funny.

Well...actually, you're right.
(we need one of those little yellow smiley b@stards to show "deflated"... )

Glad we are not at odds, Madam.

Bass ackwards said:
Well...actually, you're right.
(we need one of those little yellow smiley b@stards to show "deflated"... )

Glad we are not at odds, Madam.

How about this for the RCMP:  :facepalm:

And this for both of us:  :not-again:

;)

Oh very well...

But this too: :cheers:

As for the rest of youse RCMP hating, heathen, communist ba-.....oh never mind...

(disclosure compels me to admit I have a relative there -otherwise I'd have no use for the buggers either)

Bass ackwards said:
Oh very well...

But this too: :cheers:

As for the rest of youse RCMP hating, heathen, communist ba-.....oh never mind...

(disclosure compels me to admit I have a relative there -otherwise I'd have no use for the buggers either)

Uh....those weren't his/her cameras were they?  ;D

wouldn't it be more fun to check them after?  ;D

Then we would need a PPT of all highlights................er.........belay that................that's more than I want to know... ;D

GAP said:
Then we would need a PPT of all highlights................er.........belay that................that's more than I want to know... ;D

Ummm and more than I'd want to share.  :eek:

Back