• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Reserve - Capability-Based Recruiting

Maj Michael Begin is a cyber expert who brings a vast practical knowledge, specialized education and leadership in the civilian cyber world to the RCAF. The CBR recruitment model allows the RCAF Reserve to enroll and employ individuals immediately in their areas of expertise.

Wondering what skills an instant major brings to the table led to googling "michael begin cyber security". A top response was https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-begin-cd-b3770424/ which listed his initial work experience as . . .

Department of National Defence 21 yrs

IT Security Analyst
Jan 2004 - May 2012 · 8 yrs 5 mos CFB Kingston, Ontario

Sergeant
Jun 1991 - May 2012 · 21 yrs Canada

If the same person, not quite a military neophyte.

Wondering what skills an instant major brings to the table led to googling "michael begin cyber security". A top response was https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-begin-cd-b3770424/ which listed his initial work experience as . . .

If the same person, not quite a military neophyte.
Never heard of this or the person. Curious. Because PLARs in cyber are rare (as someone who came from 15+ years in the private sector, I know), and there are no cyber officers. So he would have to be Sig O or CELE. I can ask around. (EDIT) Most likely CELE.

Because PLARs in cyber are rare (as someone who came from 15+ years in the private sector, I know), and there are no cyber officers.
The PLAR system needs a massive overhaul. Especially if we are looking at CBR.

The "CAF way of doing business" is not always the best way. Even more so is the fact CAF training is starting to become more and more tied to industry standards for in demand trades.

I have no idea why on God's green earth the CAF would not recognize your experience, but I definitely would like to shake the sense into whoever reviewed the PLAR and said "hey, let's spent MORE time and money training someone who has skills and experience in the field..."

The PLAR system needs a massive overhaul. Especially if we are looking at CBR.

The "CAF way of doing business" is not always the best way. Even more so is the fact CAF training is starting to become more and more tied to industry standards for in demand trades.

I have no idea why on God's green earth the CAF would not recognize your experience, but I definitely would like to shake the sense into whoever reviewed the PLAR and said "hey, let's spent MORE time and money training someone who has skills and experience in the field..."
Funny you said about training tied to industry. I was told my certs, or civvie work had no value in the CAF. Basically if you have a couple of college level courses and that is it, you will have a better chance at PLAR than a veteran in the space with years and years of experience. Which I wonder will be more useful? Don't want to get more specific than I have.... though I get offers daily for 3-4x the money, yet the CAF. Nah, we don't care.

Then again I know a few officers with PhDs and work experience who didn't get higher rank either because, well, same issue. Seems like magic fairy dust and some luck whether you get PLAR. I am not too far off from calling it quits. Better money, benefits and I get to go back to being a senior/lead engineer with respect.

Funny you said about training tied to industry. I was told my certs, or civvie work had no value in the CAF. Basically if you have a couple of college level courses and that is it, you will have a better chance at PLAR than a veteran in the space with years and years of experience. Which I wonder will be more useful? Don't want to get more specific than I have.... though I get offers daily for 3-4x the money, yet the CAF. Nah, we don't care.

Then again I know a few officers with PhDs and work experience who didn't get higher rank either because, well, same issue. Seems like magic fairy dust and some luck whether you get PLAR. I am not too far off from calling it quits. Better money, benefits and I get to go back to being a senior/lead engineer with respect.

Screw ‘em. Do it. CAF/TBS have decided not to take measures to retain people with your experience and skill set. All you owe them is a properly formatted release memo. Canada will only take this stuff seriously once forced to.

My occupation has had a couple of Ptes with PhDs, they didn't stay past the first contract in the occupation.

Our PLAR system is risk averse, meaning that if your course description doesn't perfectly match up with the EOs and POs of our courses, you get no credit. My understanding is that there is push from higher to fix that, and start accepting more "risk" that those entering with civilian qualifications might not quite match what the military teaches, but they can learn on the job.

PLAR system is risk averse, meaning that if your course description doesn't perfectly match up with the EOs and POs of our courses, you get no credit. My understanding is that there is push from higher to fix that, and start accepting more "risk" that those entering with civilian qualifications might not quite match what the military teaches, but they can learn on the job.
You hit the nail on the head for the most part. A lot of the PLAR process seems to be a CYA for the CAF so that they don't let anyone through without proper training.

Here's the thing:

A lot of the training comes down to specific systems we as the CAF employ. We base a lot of our training models on those specific systems and making sure a member is able to "push button, get banana." Trying to PLAR a QSTP that is written as such is extremely difficult when our systems are unique to the CAF.

What would be better is changing our qualification/training standards is to make them based on concepts. Cyber fundamentals are the same across the industry. HR management is the same, platforms just are just different. If you can do supply chain management for Amazon, DRMIS should be a cake walk. Most of what we learn in the training army is supplimented by learning your job for the first 3 months anyway based on the role you're filling. Its the same every APS cycle.

To make someone with the conceptual knowledge go through the training system based on platform specific training is wasteful of resources and time. It certainly does not help with recruitment or retention.

I would hope some very smart folks in the training world are looking at this as an option. I also hope CMP is looking into lateral recruitment as an option for certain trades. If you're an HR Manager in civil land, absolutely no reason to have that person start out on the ground floor as an OR clerk to "learn the job"

I also hope CMP is looking into lateral recruitment as an option for certain trades.
Based on the CMP CCWO's talking points a couple of months back, I believe they are looking at it. That said, it's unlikely a manager will come across directly as a Sgt/WO, but as a Cpl, with quals PLAR'd to fast track them once they learn the CAF. There is more to running a section than just the trade knowledge.

Based on the CMP CCWO's talking points a couple of months back, I believe they are looking at it. That said, it's unlikely a manager will come across directly as a Sgt/WO, but as a Cpl, with quals PLAR'd to fast track them once they learn the CAF. There is more to running a section than just the trade knowledge.
I agree. That said, I feel we often forget how quickly folks can adapt to CAF life when they already are coming from a corporate environment.

Being a supervisor isn't rocket appliances. Being a CAF Leader on the other hand takes time and mentorship.

So the RCAF and the RCN have got innovative staffing plans. What is the Total Force Army up to?

So the RCAF and the RCN have got innovative staffing plans. What is the Total Force Army up to?
CMP (Chief of Military Personnel) is a CAF organization, not RCN or RCAF. If CMP changes how the CAF looks at PLARs, it will apply to all parts of the CAF.

Being a supervisor isn't rocket appliances.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

I agree. That said, I feel we often forget how quickly folks can adapt to CAF life when they already are coming from a corporate environment.

Being a supervisor isn't rocket appliances. Being a CAF Leader on the other hand takes time and mentorship.
Gee, I need to listen to higher ups and I need to do my job well. I would make the argument corporate transfers are better off. In the private sector, many of the members I have run across would be axed in the private sector. The appathy for doing anything with urgency and well seems to go out the door after basic. I don't know how many times I have been told, why do you care how long x takes, you are getting paid? That attitude would not get you vary far on the other side. Probably why many ex members receive a shock going to the private sector.

Gee, I need to listen to higher ups and I need to do my job well. I would make the argument corporate transfers are better off. In the private sector, many of the members I have run across would be axed in the private sector. The appathy for doing anything with urgency and well seems to go out the door after basic. I don't know how many times I have been told, why do you care how long x takes, you are getting paid? That attitude would not get you vary far on the other side. Probably why many ex members receive a shock going to the private sector.
How many ex members receive a shock, vs. the stories people tell about how much a "shock" they'll get?

I've been lots of places in the CAF where getting things done promptly is the name of the game. It's always important to remember that the CAF is far larger thana couple of units.

The appathy for doing anything with urgency and well seems to go out the door after basic. I don't know how many times I have been told, why do you care how long x takes, you are getting paid? That attitude would not get you vary far on the other side. Probably why many ex members receive a shock going to the private sector.
YMMV.

The trades/postings I was in definitely did not work that way. If anything, quite the opposite.

Back