• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF aircrew shortage

The last Pilot Get Well Programme (1997/1998ish) did not do so well. Depending upon experience levels, some Pilots were eligible for a $75000.00 bonus for signing on for another five years, some for $50000.00, and some for none. One-third of the money was to be paid immediately, and one-third on the first and second anniversaries of re-signing.

This caused several problems and irritations.

COs had Captains making more money than them over three years.

It created first-, second-, and third-class Pilots; guess how the latter two components felt.

It put takers into higher tax brackets, so it was not as generous as it seemed (spreading it out over five years did not occur the the grown-ups).

It came with a five-year restricted release period. That meant that those in the "treat-me-nicely" pensionable/almost pensionable segment of their careers could be posted to whatever crappy job or location that needed filling with no recourse.

It was, essentially, a big, fat, wet, juicy, wriggling worm on an enormous sharp, barbed hook.

Only a few who had already decided to stay in for that long no matter what happened swallowed it. The rest did not want to jeopardize their freedom.

I was eligible for the full amount, but did not take the hook - and was damned glad that I did not.

Somebody needs to study the irritants, take them seriously, and relieve them as much as possible. More money would likely help, but it has to be a real pay increase rather than bait, but the irritants have to be corrected.

Rolling Aircrew Allowance into pay would be one possible method of achieving that, rather than double-penalizing people who want to fly by sticking them into non-flying positions while simultaneously stripping them of part of their income.

Loachman said:
Rolling Aircrew Allowance into pay would be one possible method of achieving that, rather than double-penalizing people who want to fly by sticking them into non-flying positions while simultaneously stripping them of part of their income.

This could work.  Submarine Crewing Allowance works this way.  Submariners get two allowances, however SUBCRA ceases 3 years after a submariner is posted ashore (or out of a submarine position).

Where is this ops trade we are allegedly getting? I would settle for someone to handle some paperwork so I can actually spend some time instructing.

kev994 said:
Where is this ops trade we are allegedly getting? I would settle for someone to handle some paperwork so I can actually spend some time instructing.

You've hit the nail on the head. It seems it's not all about 'carrots and sticks'... which means we're pretty much sc$ewed because that's all we know how to do to motivate people....

Motivating Employees Is Not About Carrots or Sticks

Anticipate roadblocks to enable progress. When you ask anything significant of team members, they will undoubtedly encounter roadblocks and challenges along the path to success. Recognize that challenges can materially impact motivation. Be proactive in identifying and addressing them. What might make an employee’s work difficult or cumbersome? What can you do to ease the burden? What roadblocks might surface? How can you knock them down? How can you remain engaged just enough to see trouble coming and pave the way for success? Employees are motivated when they can make progress without unnecessary interruption and undue burdens.

The bottom line is: Don’t rely on outdated methods and tricks to motivate employees. Talk with your team about the relevance of the work they do every day. Be proactive in identifying and solving problems for your employees. Recognize employee contributions in specific, meaningful ways on a regular basis. Connect with your own motivation, and share it freely with your team. Put away the carrots and sticks and have meaningful conversations instead. You’ll be well on your way to leading a highly motivated team.

https://hbr.org/2017/06/motivating-employees-is-not-about-carrots-or-sticks

Loachman said:

I'd prefer to see the RCAF go with a Professional Aircrew career track, like the RAF does.  Folks in the PA track (the RAF guys I know called it a 'spine'), they go onto a different pay table.  PA never will go to a command level (SCWO, WCWO, etc) but they'll always stay in a flying position of some sort, whether operational and an OTU, etc. 

Because of the separate pay table, they are able to continue to get pay raises and pension benefits that are commensurate, but recognized for their operational/flying abilities, vice their MWO/CWO skills.

Best of both worlds!  Right now my only option to keep flying it to 'opt out' and hope I don't get a ground job.  If they did this with all air/flight crew trades, I think you'd greatly improve the corporate knowledge at the flying sqn's. 

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd prefer to see the RCAF go with a Professional Aircrew career track, like the RAF does.  Folks in the PA track (the RAF guys I know called it a 'spine'), they go onto a different pay table.  PA never will go to a command level (SCWO, WCWO, etc) but they'll always stay in a flying position of some sort, whether operational and an OTU, etc. 

Because of the separate pay table, they are able to continue to get pay raises and pension benefits that are commensurate, but recognized for their operational/flying abilities, vice their MWO/CWO skills.

Best of both worlds!  Right now my only option to keep flying it to 'opt out' and hope I don't get a ground job.  If they did this with all air/flight crew trades, I think you'd greatly improve the corporate knowledge at the flying sqn's.

I like the idea in theory, but does the RAF have a limit to the PA system?  It might be extreme, but what happens if all (or enough) aircrew take the PA track that no one (or very few) get promoted and posted to those leadership positions? 

If we integrate PA, it has to be competitive and only give to the best tactical experts. 

EITS:  you can be removed from the merit list without opting out.

Dimsum said:
I like the idea in theory, but does the RAF have a limit to the PA system?  It might be extreme, but what happens if all (or enough) aircrew take the PA track that no one (or very few) get promoted and posted to those leadership positions?

The way it was explained to me, there are a certain amount of positions for each trade/rank.  It is a competitive process; some are selected, some aren't and can try again later.

Now that Seedcorn is over, there are less RAF folks around but I will ask for more certainty.

SupersonicMax said:
If we integrate PA, it has to be competitive and only give to the best tactical experts.

Agreed, as some might see it as a way to increase pay/pension because they see that as 'more certain' than promotions.

EITS:  you can be removed from the merit list without opting out.

Copy that but the effect is still the same;  less pay now and reduced pension in retirement.  Our current system offers only one way for financial betterment.

The RCAF will be a great training pipeline for airliner pilots for the foreseeable future. If I was in the big 2 right now there is no reason why I’d want to make a career of flying for the Forces (postings/aircrew retention problems etc). Unless someone is really passionate about being a fighter pilot, I don’t see a justifiable enough reason(s) to stick it out long term.

The last time that that happened was around 1993 or so, just after the Force Reduction Programme kicked off.

Despite Air Command pointing out the impending disaster, higher direction was to pay people to get out anyway. Reductions in recruiting and training were also part of that deal.

The Pilot Get Well Programme followed FRP four or five years later as desperation blossomed.

Somewhere in between, a lot of airline guys lost their jobs when the industry took a downturn. A lot of Res F Pilots in 411 Squadron in Downsview were affected - Air Canada laid off everybody with less than thirteen years' seniority.

Back