• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCA Mess Kit specifications

RCA_UBIQUE

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, so I'm looking at the possibility of getting a mess kit from another trade, so I'm looking for the mess kit specifications that are specific to the Artillery, in order to see what alterations need to be done to it (and if it's actually worth doing). So far internet research has been without results. Does anyone know where I can find the details on the ARTY mess kit?

thanks
John

I suppose you plunked "Mess Kit" into the SEARCH box and came up with seven pages of topics on it, just as I did?

In any case, Army Mess Kit is the same for the whole Army.  Your pants will have a stripe coloured to match that of your Corps.  Your Tunic will have facings coloured to match your Corps.  Those colours and such can be found on this site, the internet, and in A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CF Dress Manual. 

5.    The following are standard options for the
universal pattern army mess dress.  Members of
branches/regiments with no authorized differences
from the universal pattern and standard options shall
wear that pattern and these options:

a.  Jacket.  Scarlet Jacket.  The environmental
    facing colour of midnight blue on collar,
    shoulder-straps/boards and cuffs.  Shoulder-
    straps.  Infantry cuff.  Gold officers' cuff
    embellishment.  For males, plain jacket front
    without buttons or button-holes.  For females,
    plain jacket front with single link buttons.

b.  Waistcoat/Cummerbund.  Midnight blue
    waistcoat, with four button-holes, for senior
    officers and above only.  During summer dress
    period, only cummerbund  (in branch/regimental
    colours) is worn.

c. Trousers/Overalls/Skirt.  Midnight blue.  For
    males, highcut trousers; overalls optional. 
    Scarlet troueser/overall/skirt stripe, 1-3/4 inches
    wide along trouser seam and around (half on
    each side) skirt vent.

d.  Footwear.  For males, black socks; black
    shoes or wellington boots; wellingtons with
    overalls; no spurs.  For females, beige or black
    plain-pattern nylons; black leather/patent
    leather pumps.

e.  White Gloves.

AUTHORIZED BRANCH DIFFERENCES

9.    Artillery Branch.    Waistcoat for all ranks.  White
jacket (No. 2A) optional for all officers and CWOs only. 
Trouser/skirt stripe 1-1/2 inches.  Overalls optional, with
optional spurs.

also:
CUMMERBUNDS

Artillery Branch  Red zig zag stripes on dark blue

George Wallace said:
I suppose you plunked "Mess Kit" into the SEARCH box and came up with seven pages of topics on it, just as I did?

In any case, Army Mess Kit is the same for the whole Army.  Your pants will have a stripe coloured to match that of your Corps.  Your Tunic will have facings coloured to match your Corps.  Those colours and such can be found on this site, the internet, and in A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CF Dress Manual. 

also:

You may want to dig deeper I called NDHQ last year for info on mess kits and was sent a nice package with compleat plans to take to a Tailor and have a kit made. included is a nice note telling me that waist coats or vests are now for all ranks.

DSSPM 2-5C2
613-994-9472

Actually I knew a lot of M/Bdr's who looked just like that....... :-*

Doesn't the Arty Mess Kit have an additional pocket for hearing-aid batteries?  ;)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Actually I knew a lot of M/Bdr's who looked just like that....... :-*
That have lost their head?.... Oh my!!!!!

Excluding buttons and collar badges, Arty & Engineers have identical mess kit.

When buying the mess kit, you should consider having a slightly longer wasitcoat..... have seen too many Offrs & NCOs wearing a vest that is riding high on the gut.... makes em look like a bag of S#!t.... the longer one is more comfortable anyway.

Also - Doeskin or Barathea (AKA Wool blend) A personal choice - the Doeskin is heavier and much warmer - I had mine done in Barathea (from tailor who does work for the RCMP) and it looks great :)

Back