• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rations, Meal Halls ect... Merged

There is somewhere, perhaps in the real of health promotion, or food service or whereever what defines a meal, a former CC looked this up for me once and there is somewhere where it shows that a continental breakfast does not meet the minimun nutritional requirements for CF Mbrs, I'll try to dig it up as I'm sure I kept it handy for circumstances like this.

DCBA ...

Section 7: (Travel in Canada/Continental USA – Overnight stay --- page 21 ---)

7.10 Meals

(1) A member is entitled to reimbursement for the applicable meal allowance rates as set out in Appendix C of the following Treasury Board website, http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/td-dv_e.asp, for each breakfast, lunch and dinner while on TD.  Members shall only claim for those meals that they were not provided.  A member is not entitled to reimbursement with respect to a meal that is provided by a third party or other government agency.

(2) A member is entitled to reimbursement provided that:
a) for breakfast, the member must depart from home on duty travel before 0630 hrs;

b) for lunch, the member must be on travel status between 1130 hrs and 1300 hrs; and

c) for dinner, the member must arrive at home after 1800 hrs.

(3) If it is determined that no meals were provided on a flight, a member is entitled to claim the per diem meal rate without receipts.  However, where a member considers that a meal was insufficient, receipts are required for the alternate meal consumed.  Substantiation must be provided to the approving authority before the meal expense is reimbursed.  Snacks, i.e., pretzels, peanuts and chips do not constitute a meal.

(4) If a member declines a meal included in the travel or conference package and seeks reimbursement for an alternate meal, the member must provide written substantiation to the approving authority for refusal.

(5) It is the member’s personal responsibility to provide advance notice to the airlines or other appropriate service providers, to ensure that their religious beliefs or dietary requirements can be accommodated.

(6) For TD travel in the USA, the rate payable shall be in US funds.

(7) In accordance with CFAOs 28-1 and 209-4 http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/028-01_e.asp and http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/209-04_e.asp, rations shall be utilized where available.  When a member is in US military quarters without cooking facilities and access to rations the member shall receive full per diem for the first thirty (30) days.  Thereafter a member is eligible for seventy-five per cent (75%) of meals and seventy-five per cent (75%) of incidentals.  Meals claimed while a member is provided free rations and quarters must be accompanied by a receipt as well as the rationale for not utilizing the rations.

(8 ) If a member has no choice but to reside in commercial accommodations without cooking facilities for the duration of the duty travel, the member is entitled to the full per diem meal rates.  However, if the member selects to reside in private vice commercial accommodation, the member is entitled to the full per diem meal rates for the first thirty (30) days and seventy-five percent (75%) thereafter.

(9) If a member occupies US military, corporate, government or school residences, apartment hotels or similar type accommodation with cooking facilities or non-commercial accommodation, the member is entitled to the full per diem meal rate for the initial thirty (30) days.  Thereafter, a member is entitled to be paid seventy five percent (75%) of the daily meal allowance for the remainder of the TD period.

If I were you, I'd be making the argument that IAW Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating (The CF standard for meal ratio & nutrition), a muffin does NOT constitute a meal, but is realisitcly a "snack."

Much in the bit I've quoted here again:

If it is determined that no meals were provided on a flight, a member is entitled to claim the per diem meal rate without receipts. However, where a member considers that a meal was insufficient, receipts are required for the alternate meal consumed.  Substantiation must be provided to the approving authority before the meal expense is reimbursed.  Snacks, i.e., pretzels, peanuts and chips do not constitute a meal.

Change to:

If it is determined that no meals were provided on a flightin the Hotel, a member is entitled to claim the per diem meal rate without receipts.

Snacks, i.e., pretzels, peanuts and chips muffins do not constitute a meal

Ergo, you are entitled to the per diem ... without receipts.

And further:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/j4mat-dglog/dlogsvs/manual/final/A-85-269-001_FP-001/269Chapter6_e.doc

Chapter 6 from the Food Services’ Direction & Guidance Manual specificly sets out what kitchens must supply to constitute an acceptable standard of meal:

Section 1, Art 602 (page 2):

602. Food Services’ Role in Maintaining Nutritional Health

2. CF Food Svcs Operations shall provide food choices that enable diners to meet normal nutritional requirements as expressed by Health Canada in Canada Food's Guide to Healthy Eating.  CF food services personnel should also understand:

a. the standard expressed in the Food Guide to enable them to interpret it into meals/menus;

b. the role of nutrients at Annex A – Main Nutrients Contributed by Food Groups; and

c. how to preserve nutrients during food storage and preparation at Annex B – A Guide for the Retention of Nutrients.

3. Diners are responsible for choosing foods that will maintain their nutritional health.  CF food services are responsible for providing food, in the most appealing way possible, that satisfies the requirements of the Food Guide.  This means that, all four food groups must be available at every meal, there must be a variety within those food groups, and portions and/or selection must be large enough for diners to obtain the required number of servings of each food group.  In addition, choices that reflect Canada’s Guidelines for Healthy Eating must be available, including lower fat products, whole grain products, decaffeinated coffee, and lower salt in food preparation.

I  just bring receipts to my OR and let them deal with it  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
I  just bring receipts to my OR and let them deal with it   ;D

Until your OR tells you that little pot of 1/2 a cup of coffee and one meal constitutes "breakfast."

Then you'd be here wouldn't you?  >:D

If you are on Per Diem,why are you bothering with receipts ?

ArmyVern (Female type) said:
Until your OR tells you that little pot of 1/2 a cup of coffee and one meal constitutes "breakfast."

Then you'd be here wouldn't you?  >:D

True but my OR is so switched on that most time I don't even need receipts if I am traveling over a meal hour.

NFLD Sapper said:
True but my OR is so switched on that most time I don't even need receipts if I am traveling over a meal hour.

Dude ... switched on?? Most of the time you don't need receipts over the meal hour if you're travelling??

Read the below link from DCBA from me ... you'll clearly see that you never need receipts if you are travelling over the meal hour on TD. (Unless, of course, you travelled via some mode of transport which included meals as part of the price, but you found that "meal" insufficient -- then you'd need a receipt for the "meal" you did buy to supplement theirs).

Work on your OR a 'lil bit more ...  >:D

:-* 

Bring your own food...

Collect the MTEC's..

Trucker life for me....  ;D

Is there any guidance on what constitutes a meal that can be claimed versus one that can't?

I realize that there is basic criteria of provided for by the crown (Non-claimable) vice not provided for by the crown (generally claimable), but is there any amplification on this?

For example, if you are on TD and the hotel provides breakfast for all its guests, does this count as a provided for meal, and thus not claimable? What if you elected to eat the provided for meal from the hotel? Should you not claim breakfast in this case, as you were not out of pocket any additional funds?

While you are on TD, unless you are eating in a Mess, you will be entitled to three meals and incidentals per day.  The person to ask, is the person who does up you Claim and knows exactly where you are being lodged and what you will be entitled to.

maniac779 said:
Is there any guidance on what constitutes a meal that can be claimed versus one that can't?

I realize that there is basic criteria of provided for by the crown (Non-claimable) vice not provided for by the crown (generally claimable), but is there any amplification on this?

For example, if you are on TD and the hotel provides breakfast for all its guests, does this count as a provided for meal, and thus not claimable? What if you elected to eat the provided for meal from the hotel? Should you not claim breakfast in this case, as you were not out of pocket any additional funds?

In regard to the example provided, if the hotel provides breakfast then you won't get to claim or get advanced for that meal but would still get lunch and dinner claimed or advanced.

Kirsten Luomala said:
In regard to the example provided, if the hotel provides breakfast then you won't get to claim or get advanced for that meal but would still get lunch and dinner claimed or advanced.
Actually, if it doesn't show up on the hotel bill and it's not known that the hotel provides a breakfast, you can indeed claim that meal.  Is it ethical?  I'll leave that up to the individual.  Not to mention, some hotel "breakfasts" are a muffin and a coffee.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Actually, if it doesn't show up on the hotel bill and it's not known that the hotel provides a breakfast, you can indeed claim that meal.  Is it ethical?  I'll leave that up to the individual.  Not to mention, some hotel "breakfasts" are a muffin and a coffee.  ::)

That's only if any muffins or non-decaf coffee is left when you get there :p

Here's a "for instance".  When I came back from Afghanistan in December, we had an overnight in Köln, Germany.  I didn't think that breakfast was included (looking at the hotel info book in the room, it stated in was €23), so I didn't go to breakfast at the hotel but got something once we arrived at the airport.  Turns out breakfast was included.  Is it wrong of me to claim that meal??

Does DND fall under the treasury board, in this instance, with regarding travel.  I am not sure, however, this is a good link I use as a Public Service Employee;

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tbm_113/td-dv-eng.asp

In particular;

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tbm_113/td-dv01-eng.asp#Toc190491135

This is stated several times;

A meal allowance shall not be paid to a traveller with respect to a meal that is provided. In exceptional situations where a traveller has incurred out-of-pocket expenses to supplement meals provided, the actual incurred costs may be reimbursed, based on receipts, up to the applicable meal allowance.

You are best to do your due diligence, and ask at check in, because I can bet my bottom dollar there will be someone out there that will come across your claim and nail you if you lie.  Maybe not the first, or second time, but there will be a time.

No sense in burning yourself for a lousy 15 bucks.

dileas

tess

Meal and mileage rates for DND are set by the Treasury Board.  As stated above, If breakfast is provided by the hotel, you cannot claim it.  However, if you feel that the meal was insufficient, such as a muffin and coffee, you can buy more and, with receipt, claim it up to the maximum TB rate for that meal.  You may also be required to sign a statement to the fact that the provided hotel meal was not acceptable.

The claims section accepted it.  IMHO, it's better than the people who did eat breakfast and still claimed the meal.

PMedMoe said:
The claims section accepted it.  IMHO, it's better than the people who did eat breakfast and still claimed the meal.

How much were you compensated, if you do not mind me asking?

dileas

tess

Back