• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RAN Patrol Boats and Canadian Moving to Australia

Klinkaroo

Inactive
Reaction score
I had two questions. I was wondering if anyone here has moved to Australia with the intention of joining the Autralian Defence Force, if so how did it go? Was it hard? Did it take alot of time? If you don't mind the full story would be welcome.

Second is about the Patrol Boats. If you join the navy can you go directly to patrol boats or do you have to spend time on the heavies first? All information would be helpful.

Thanks
Klink

1st question.

I did (Army).

EDITed to add this: ----- Yes it was hard and costly, both financially and emotionally, as when you get a chance to start a new life, it is that, and Canada takes the backseat, loyalties must change.  That 'romance' of serving under a different nation's flag dies in the arse pretty bloody fast. -----

Being direct unless your serious, don't waste ADF time and your own.

It took about 12 months, and that was Mar 1994. I enlisted at Sydney in Mar 1995 as P/SGT, keeping my rank by taking promotion courses within 12 months.

This was 15 yrs back now, and the ADF is always keen to  'poach' mature (how I got in, who knows  :nod:) experienced pre-trained highly motivated personnel. Lots of Canucks here, with at least three attending a welcome home from Iraq parade in Jun 08. Although we marched in our own deployed units, Canada was well represented  :cdn: . These three had previous CF service, and I have ran into some Canucks who are serving without any CF service.

There is also many Poms and Kiwis, South Africans and the rest. US personnel that I knew (former USMC and GW1 Vet) had to start from stratch. Seems a part of the BCW has its advantages.

Personally, I beleive things have changed for the better, with positive changes allowing Allied military personnel into the madness of the ADF more streamlined and effective recruitment carrots to dangle in one's face.

They now call it a lateral transfer, and when I came across, it was classed  as a re-enlistment

Best to try www.defencejobs.gov.au and make some queries.

2nd question - Don't know.

Good luck.

OWDU

Klinkaroo:

According to your profile, you are a Leading Seaman.  If you are a Reservist, there is a program which may be able to assist you to train with the Royal Australian Navy Reserve for a couple of years. 

See Reserve Forces Foreign Service Agreement.

Thanks both for the replies appreciate that.

Heard a little about that program before but kind of forgot about it. But it looks more for someone going to study at university there for a few years or that has a job there. Being a full-time reservist though I wouldn't have a reason to go there other then to work for the military and don't have enough training to do any civie job yet. Anyhow doesn't hurt to see if there is a work around.

Back