• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Radio Control Vehicles and Aircraft

gaspasser

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All, I've searched and searched and didn't find anything on the subject. 
Is there anybody out there who operates Radio Controlled vehicles and aircraft?  I once "played" with RC tanks as a teenager {and gave it up once I became and adult} and want to get into RC helos.  I've searched the net intristically and found tons of info.  Can anyone help with a good beginner Helo?
Regards, BYTD

:army:

Hey BYT,

Great thing to get into. I've got a helicopter and am just about to finish my plane. Check out a site called http://www.rcuniverse.com/

Virtually anything and everything you R/C you could think of is on this site. I'm on it under the same handle, and I've found most people to be friendly and informative.

I've just joined a club, and am learning both the helicopter and the plane. It's such a blast geeking out like this, but it's alot of fun!!!

I'm just about finished building a Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer, with an OS .46 AX engine on it. Been easy and relaxing to build, and it's been a nice break when I have had the time to work on it. My other half bought it for me for xmas and I am just finishing it now....
There is one site which I use to search for prices and model supplies.....It's totally the way to go and has prices in Cdn $$ that are just a small bit higher than the US.... http://www.greathobbies.com/index.php

Great Hobbies has TONS of beginner info that you can download as well. Just search the site for the links, many of which are downloadable pdf documents. There's another site you can go to in the USA, I've dealt with both called Tower Hobbies http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html

Tower is good, but before you buy an R/C plane or car at all, search R/C Universe for input on the best machine for your situation.

I'm having a blast with it, and I am just very new to the hobby world. Good luck, keep me posted!!!

Cheers,

HH

Well, here I was searching for info on RC models and hit my own thread...duh!  It is now a year after I started this; I purchased an ESky Honey Bee King II helicopter while I was "overseas".  Lots of fun to fly...when I fly it.  Helos are very sensitive and hard to hover.  Mind you, I ended up getting one that is almost top of the line and I've never flown one before.  I'm relying on my "stick time" on Cessnas while I was in cadets and some Sim time {thanks to Shearwater SeaKing sim}   :salute:
Many broken parts and frustrating on the ground time.  But I'm not one to give up so easily.   ;D
Any one out there in a similiar pickle and want to swap tid bits of info??   :-[ 
I've thought about joining a club, but Niner is already p'd at me for buying the thing and spending money on parts.  Plus I don't want to look like a complete newb.   :-\ 
Right now it's mostly driveway flying and learning.

Regards BYTD

My dad and I have been into RC for about 8 years now.

We spent most of that flying helicopters. For a while there I was a Team Century Helicopter Rep.

The best RC Helicopter site is www.runryder.com

For a beginner helicopter - Everyone will recommend something different. I recommend the Century Hawk or Falcon. The hawk is a 30 or 40 size machine. The Falcon is a 50 size machine.

Both have inexpensive parts, both perform excedingly well, all the way to full 3D aerobatics. However, the 30 size hawk will bog in a funnel.

I suggest finding a club with some helicopter instructors who can help you set your machine up, then buddy box you to teach you to fly it.

The small electric helicopters may seem like a great little alternative to the larger nitro machines i mentioned above, but they have a whole new set of expenses - batteries, chargers, fans, generators, and some experience with electronics is an asset. Setting up the nitro machines is far easier than the electrics.

If you want to start fairly cheap into helicopters. Get the hawk, preferably with the 40 size motor to allow you some growing room. Then get the best transmitter you can afford. this should last you your entire RC career. I've done quite well on an older JR 7 channel.

You may also want to look into an RC flight simulator. Real Flight or XTR are both great. and free when you crash.

Cheers

Corey

Back