• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick question

4drian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about my future military career, tired searching for this topic but i couldn't find any.

So, i graduated from Centennial college with a Police foundation diploma... but the trades that i applied for are Traffic tech, AVN tech and Vehicle techs because they were offered to me, i was able to do extensive amounts of research about those trades and i actually like the idea of it BUT! My question is lets say i finish my contract doing any of those three is it possible to transfer my career path to either Military police or any of the Combat arms trade since i studied for it?

PS i already passed my CFAT and interview process just waiting on my medical apt

Thanks in advance :salute:

II'm having no luck finding the References at the moment. Hers a few threads to help. Short answer is yes you can apply to transfer throughout your contract. However I'm not sure how it works if you wait until your contract is over.

I'm sure someone will come along with more info!

http://army.ca/forums/threads/113764.0

http://army.ca/forums/threads/111850.0

Occupation Transfers (OT) are possible during your career.  HOWEVER, the process can be lengthy and difficult.  Your current occupation heirarchy must agree to let you go and your propose occupation heirarchy must agree to take you on.  You will not be allowed to transfer out of an occupation that is understrength (even if you're proposing to go to another one that is also understrength).  Nor will you be allowed into one that is overstrength.  Your entire CF career up to the point of your request for OT will be closely scrutinized, sometimes seemingly more so than your initial recruiting process.  This means that in order to get into a new occupation, you had better have done well in your current one (no occupation is willing to take on someone else's deadweight).

I don't want to sound too negative on this because it is possible not infrequent.  However, it is difficult.  I would never recommend joining the CF in any occupation in which you're not willing to complete a career.  I have met many unhappy people who joined in one occupation with the expectation of being able to OT, but found out later that it was not possible in their cases.

4drian said:
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about my future military career, tired searching for this topic but i couldn't find any.

So, i graduated from Centennial college with a Police foundation diploma... but the trades that i applied for are Traffic tech, AVN tech and Vehicle techs because they were offered to me, i was able to do extensive amounts of research about those trades and i actually like the idea of it BUT! My question is lets say i finish my contract doing any of those three is it possible to transfer my career path to either Military police or any of the Combat arms trade since i studied for it?

PS i already passed my CFAT and interview process just waiting on my medical apt

So if you graduated from Centennial College with a Police Foundations Diploma, then why are you not applying for MP?

DAA said:
So if you graduated from Centennial College with a Police Foundations Diploma, then why are you not applying for MP?

Thanks for the reply guys. Now don't get me wrong its not like i don't like the trades that they offer me, but i just want to be able to learn as much as possible in my military career. I originally applied for MP but they disregarded it and said that they're not hiring and that's why they reoriented me to the technician trades.

Again, i want to be able to experience different trades that would be suitable for me in the long run. I'm not the type of guy to OT in the middle of a course lol

4drian said:
Thanks for the reply guys. Now don't get me wrong its not like i don't like the trades that they offer me, but i just want to be able to learn as much as possible in my military career. I originally applied for MP but they disregarded it and said that they're not hiring and that's why they reoriented me to the technician trades.

Again, i want to be able to experience different trades that would be suitable for me in the long run. I'm not the type of guy to OT in the middle of a course lol

Okay, makes sense then.  If you want to try for MP again, it has recently re-OPENED.

DAA said:
Okay, makes sense then.  If you want to try for MP again, it has recently re-OPENED.

Sweet, but i still want to be able to learn and master the technician trades, lets just say down the road i finished my contract and i want to go to MP after like 5 years of AVN, Vehicle, or Traffic tech... what should i do to apply for MP or any trades?

Do i have to re-write the aptitude? Interview? the whole process?

Thanks

4drian said:
Sweet, but i still want to be able to learn and master the technician trades, lets just say down the road i finished my contract and i want to go to MP after like 5 years of AVN, Vehicle, or Traffic tech... what should i do to apply for MP or any trades?

Do i have to re-write the aptitude? Interview? the whole process?

You would have to apply for an Occupational Transfer and like they say, nothing is a given.  Internal transfer #'s are much lower than off the street recruiting #'s, so it's kind of a "crap shoot" trying the OT route later on in your career.

Back