• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quick Navy Tradition question...

Sheerin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, don't ask me why this question popped into my head last night....

I was wondering, when our ships have an air detachment, and if one or more of the members of the detachment are captains are they referred to as Major's by the crew since a ship can only have one captain? 

No, they are usually referred to as "Bob" or "Joe"  ;D

Seriously though, there is no issue with referring to someone by their rank because there is a difference between "Captain" and "The Captain" (who usually isn't a "Captain" by rank but rather a Commander [three ring] - only the 280's have a Captain(Navy) as a "Captain").

No, I've sailed on a few ships with Air Dets, and if a member of that det who happens to be a Capt is piped, they just ensure that the pipes is made correctly like "Capt Bloggins, Requested, ADR".

The Commanding Officer is always piped as "Commanding Officer, Requested, Bridge"

Everyone in the CF realizes that they are around members of different elements and that the rank structure is different in some of them. We are all cognisant of this and ensure personnel are addressed accordingly.

Just to throw another Navy Tradition in
On all "Pipes" (announcements over the ships public address system)

Officers are "Requested"

PO2 to CPO1 are "Required"

MS and below "Rank and name"

thanks guys...

Oh one other little question, during unification was the navy forced to adopt the army's rank system?

Despite shifting into green the navy did refuse to adopt the army rank structure. Hard to imagine a wardroom full of captains and ships being commanded by Lt.Col's isn't it?
Also imagine a squadron of ships becoming a brigade, etc. etc.

Hoowever, at unification the NDHQ navy staff all switched, if not unofficially, to army ranks. They put a stop to that though and thankfully the navy ranks are the same all over (with the exception of the (N) after Capt. And Lt.)

Sheerin said:
thanks guys...

Oh one other little question, during unification was the navy forced to adopt the army's rank system?

That went on for about a year, then NDHQ did a fighting retreat and let the Navy keep its ranks. But there are still remnants, some message traffic from certain areas in Ottawa still use Capt for Lt(N).

Che said:
Despite shifting into green the navy did refuse to adopt the army rank structure. Hard to imagine a wardroom full of captains and ships being commanded by Lt.Col's isn't it?

I don't think it is any harder to imagine than it was in 1968 for the old RCAF boys to imagine a Lt Col commanding an "Air Force" squadron.

"Don't talk to me about 'Naval Tradition' it is nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."  (popularly attibuted, albeit incorrrectly, to Winston Churchill)

Sam

Ah touche, perhaps the navy tradition was too deeply set to change.

Having completed two sea tours as a member of an air det I can agree with SAM69 that they are called "Bob" or Joe". After all, it is the airforce. Rank is not an issue. We fix'm they fly'm.

Many sections do work on a first name basis, including those in the Navy, but when an Officer or Chief is in hearing distance, then the appropriate marks of respect are utilized.

At the end of the day, you are in the Military not a civie job. Some of the newer crowd don't seem to see it that way this day in age.

Personally I think It's time to put the discipline back in!!

Sheerin said:
Hey, don't ask me why this question popped into my head last night....

I was wondering, when our ships have an air detachment, and if one or more of the members of the detachment are captains are they referred to as Major's by the crew since a ship can only have one captain?  

Well, what about in French. The short form for a Lieutenant Commander (capitaine de corvette), Commander (capitaine de frégate) and Captain(N) (capitaine de vaisseau) are all the same.... capitaine.

Back