• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about the reserves

CanadianGuy402

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am a High School student looking at joining the reserves. I have a few questions about how they work though.
1. I am still in high school. Do the reserves require me to go to BMQ in Quebec like the regular force? (Which i wont be able to do) Or how exactly do we get our BMQ done?

2. In our home armoury, do we train like the regular force members would?

3. How long on average will the application to reserve member time take?

These were 3 things that i really couldnt figure out by searching on the web. Thanks in advance for your help!

Im going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow about joining the reserves. What should I expect when talking to him? its during a parade night at the armoury. Im 16 so im going to need to figure out how to get my parents to sign the signature on the application fourm. Is there anything I should prepare for before going? other than writing down questions I want to ask?

CanadianGuy402 said:
Hey guys.

I am a High School student looking at joining the reserves. I have a few questions about how they work though.
1. I am still in high school. Do the reserves require me to go to BMQ in Quebec like the regular force? (Which i wont be able to do) Or how exactly do we get our BMQ done?

2. In our home armoury, do we train like the regular force members would?

3. How long on average will the application to reserve member time take?

These were 3 things that i really couldnt figure out by searching on the web. Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Not in Quebec. You should have BMQ done around your unit on the weekends, usually every other weekend. There are opportunities to get full time (24ish days) in the summer. However I'd prepare for a weekend course though.

Why can't you go to Quebec? Any trades course will be done in the summer. (They will do what they can to accommodate high school students), That being said they will not by your home unit, (unless you by chance happen to live really close to where the course is run).

2. Never have been reg force so no comment really. We do some unit and individual training at my unit. I assume it is similar but can't comment.

3. Depends, FYI reserve applications are on a first come first served basis. If you don't get your application in soon enough all the spots may be filled for the Fiscal Year and then you will have to wait until next year.

Im going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow about joining the reserves. What should I expect when talking to him? its during a parade night at the armoury.

I'd imagine he would talk about the unit, the trades the unit offers and what they expect of the member, at least that is what happened to me. Google the reserve unit see if you can find out anything about their history. He will probably be expecting for you to have questions as well.

Im 16 so im going to need to figure out how to get my parents to sign the signature on the application fourm. Is there anything I should prepare for before going? other than writing down questions I want to ask?

Yeah you will have to wait until your 17, they changed the rules two years ago.

Edit: I am wrong about the age + grammar.

Are you sure about 17? the recruiters that came to our school pointed out, that 16 year olds can join the reserves, but not the regular force. And for BMQ, yea I can do it during summer. I just was meaning during the school year, as I was not sure when BMQ dates were.

CanadianGuy402 said:
Are you sure about 17? the recruiters that came to our school pointed out, that 16 year olds can join the reserves, but not the regular force. And for BMQ, yea I can do it during summer. I just was meaning during the school year, as I was not sure when BMQ dates were.

You can join the Reserves at the age of 16 if you're a full time student in high school, and completed grade 10.

Tape said:
You can join the Reserves at the age of 16 if you're a full time student in high school, and completed grade 10.

Ok I was wrong, I thought it was 17 with the exception of ROTP, sorry to have misled you.

runormal said:
Ok I was wrong, I thought it was 17 with the exception of ROTP, sorry to have misled you.
Its no problem. I was wondering why the members of the regiment would say that though. Maybe its different in Quebec? Im in Saskatchewan. I would be joining the North Saskatchewan Regiment.

CanadianGuy402 said:
Its no problem. I was wondering why the members of the regiment would say that though. Maybe its different in Quebec? Im in Saskatchewan. I would be joining the North Saskatchewan Regiment.

No, the minimum age to apply for the Reserves stays the same regardless of where you live in Canada.

Back