• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

NFLD Sapper said:
You should be able to go down to you local Reserve Unit Armoury and talk to the unit recruiter directly.

To add to this, The Recruiting Centres actually require you to have a "Letter of Understanding" from the unit your son intends to join.

This is so that the Recruiting Centre knows that the applicant has gone to the unit for an information session, understands what a military career involves, understands the trade they are applying for, and states that the unit is willing to recruit said person and they have positions available to do so.

As NFLD_Sapper said, visit the unit(s), they'll be more than happy to have a chat.

sndr said:
There is no way to meet and talk to a  recruiter and have one's questions answered before actually applying?

Forces.ca
"To join the Reserve, start by dropping by the local armoury in your community or region."
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-careers/reserve.page

Thank you All for the responses. We'll go and visit the local unit recruiter then. Sndr.

Hello I have a few questions as it seems My only option may be to go reserves rather than full forces for the next two years. Now I am applying for the position of combat engineer and being as it would be through the reserves I am wondering what the training schedule would be like? Is it the same as regular force where I would attend basic training then bmq then occupational training before being complete with my training and returning home to the reserve forces? Or is it split up throughout the year to accommodate? I am not asking because I have a problem with doing the long haul I just want to educate my self.
Also I am wondering what the average reservist hours per week is? I know its one night a week and a weekend a month minimum however does this vary and if requested can you do more hours?

Also for you combat engineers who may be reading this I am also interested in what your favorite task and or moment is in your occupation?

Inuym said:
Hello I have a few questions as it seems My only option may be to go reserves rather than full forces for the next two years. Now I am applying for the position of combat engineer and being as it would be through the reserves I am wondering what the training schedule would be like? Is it the same as regular force where I would attend basic training then bmq then occupational training before being complete with my training and returning home to the reserve forces? Or is it split up throughout the year to accommodate? I am not asking because I have a problem with doing the long haul I just want to educate my self.
Also I am wondering what the average reservist hours per week is? I know its one night a week and a weekend a month minimum however does this vary and if requested can you do more hours?

Also for you combat engineers who may be reading this I am also interested in what your favorite task and or moment is in your occupation?

I'm not a reservist, but I did find some things for you to look at that would help you with what you're looking for perhaps. The links provided are google searches for the entire Army.ca website. That being said, typically Reserve training is done on the weekends, however depending on the unit and situation it could be a full time course for a few months (from what I've seen and heard). Hope this helps!

mariomike said:
Away from home - Reserves
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22away+from+home%22+reserves&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TbMjWPWUG8WC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl

Reserve training
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+reserve+traing&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5bMjWPvILsWC8QeLh4fYBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+reserve+training

Inuym said:

Information on Combat Engineers
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/22088.0/nowap.html
9 pages.

Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/109556.0/nowap.html

See also,

Combat Engineer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+%22Richard+Spencer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dliDWL78H8qC8Qf4oKnYDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+combat+engineer

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Inuym said:

Not an engineer, but a reservist.

It is honestly is a lot of it "depends". The majority of the training takes place in the following two time frames:
A) During the "Summer" - May -> August (Full Time)
B) On Weekends -> September -> April

That being said if you are available, you may get the option to go on a reg-f course, but there needs to be spots, and you can get bumped at any minute. Likewise random taskings/support tasking's can and do happen, but until you are trained you are more or less "useless" and will likely not be selected. Every unit is different with the PATs (Personnel Awaiting Training), some do the best they can to fully integrate them with the unit and others keep them completely separated until they are trade qualified.

Bottom the reserves is great supplementary income, unless you manage to get a class B/C Contract (full time contract). But you won't be remotely close to get one until you get your cpl's (so +/- two years), and even if you get one of those you might be  stuck in job/position completely unrelated to your trade.

Like wise full time in the summer months isn't guaranteed, there either needs to be a tasking/course for you to go on in order for you to get paid.

There is a maximum number of Class A days (I.e Part time/Day to Day days ) that you can work a year I think it is either 80 and then your CO has to approve the next 20 and then your brigade commander needs to approve another 20 and Div commander another 20. All easier said than done.

As a "fully trained" - and active member a regiment working pretty much every available weekend/training night I make about $10-$12k gross/yr. Excellent pocket money which is helping me pay back my student debt but that is about it. This year will likely be less as I'll have to use vacation days if I want to go on any week/two week exercise/taskings or try and take LWOP and loose money. 

I'm not sure of the specifics of your situation and quite frankly I love the reserves, but do not try to turn a part time job into a full-time job.

To add to what runormal said,

runormal said:
During the "Summer" - May -> August (Full Time)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+summer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N6-EWI7TEKeC8QezmISgCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+summer+BMQ

runormal said:
On Weekends -> September -> April
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Amilnet.ca+summer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=N6-EWI7TEKeC8QezmISgCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:milnet.ca+weekend+BMQ

runormal said:
There is a maximum number of Class A days (I.e Part time/Day to Day days ) that you can work a year I think it is either 80 and then your CO has to approve the next 20 and then your brigade commander needs to approve another 20 and Div commander another 20.

Maximum number of Class A days is discussed here ( and elsewhere ),

Pay - Reserves 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123906.0

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Hello,

I'm currently a grade 12 student however due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger. Long story short they set me up for an evergreen and being honest I have barely taken any real classes for my high school.

My question is this: Can I join an occupation in the Canadian military with an evergreen certificate?

I attempted to apply for the reserves and made it as far as my physical test. After that, I got a call that because I did not have the required minimal grade 10 course or the minimal 50 credits ( I was in grade 11 at the time) my application was halted until we could figure it out.

Only the recruiters will be able to figure that out with you, none of us can give a better answer or override. You're in the process, you'll have to work with them to see it through.

Heinrick Archsider said:
Hello,

I'm currently a grade 12 student however due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger. Long story short they set me up for an evergreen and being honest I have barely taken any real classes for my high school.

My question is this: Can I join an occupation in the Canadian military with an evergreen certificate?

I attempted to apply for the reserves and made it as far as my physical test. After that, I got a call that because I did not have the required minimal grade 10 course or the minimal 50 credits ( I was in grade 11 at the time) my application was halted until we could figure it out.
H.A. :  Is this for the regular force or reserve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Day,

What any recruiter will answer is as follows:

Basic entry requirements into the Canadian Armed Forces are as follows:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Age - Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except (a) Regular Officer Training Plan - Junior applicants must be 16 or older; and (b) Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.

[*]Citizenship - Must be a Canadian Citizen
[*]Education - Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec)
[/list]

If you do not meet the Entry Standards as they are written than either a PLAR and/or waiver would need to be requested.
It is not up to recruiters to decide on whether these are approved.

Best Regards

[quote author=Heinrick Archsider]  due to reasons I am not comfortable to share here I missed a lot of school when I was younger.
[/quote]

Missed 33 days in my last semester thanks to Warcraft and I still made the infantry :salute:

Hello,
I'm applying to join the Army reserves as a CE, 32 CER in Toronto. CFAT, FORCE, medical and interview have all been done (completed early December 2016) and, according to the recruiter, my med file was sent to Ottawa. I've since found out that my references have been contacted and my former high school was asked for my transcript. My last contact with the recruiter was December 12th - I was told that "a few things needed to be done before the file was done".

Normally I would wait patiently but in his last email, the recruiter mentioned that my file "should take a few more weeks due to the holiday season." As it's been 2 1/2 months since I last heard from him, should I email to ask how my file is doing? I don't want to bother him or anyone else at the CFRC and I know that some applications can take years, however I would like to find out if something's gone wrong as I've heard that files can be misplaced or bogged down for other reasons. I only ask this a) because the recruiter specifically said "a few weeks more" and b) because I went through all the sticky'd threads first.

Thanks!

:cdn:

Good Day,

You mention that you're applying to 32 CER, so based on what you've stated the CFRC would have very little involvement in your file with the current status, as such you should reach out to the recruiter for 32 CER to find out your status - with that said I believe that all the units within 32 CBG fall under the Brigade Recruiters.  There really is no harm in reaching out to find out the status, especially with it being 2.5 months. 

Honestly with joining a Reserve Unit you don't want to wait too long as most units shut down in May/June for Summer Training.

Best Regards

Buck,
Thank you for the quick reply! I didn't want to hassle the recruiting staff or act like I deserve special treatment, so I appreciate the advice.

Canuck10 said:
Buck,
Thank you for the quick reply! I didn't want to hassle the recruiting staff or act like I deserve special treatment, so I appreciate the advice.

When you say "the recruiter", are you referring to someone at 32 CER or someone at the CFRC? I ask because, while your file does go to a CFRC for a lot of the processing (I.e. Medical), your primary point of contact should be with the reserve unit recruiter. If your file is with the CFRC, the unit recruiter should be the one calling them to ask them what's up, and it never hurts to call or email the unit recruiter.

I'm actually not 100% sure. When searching the FORCES.ca site to find out how to make my first contact, I found the 32 CER info and an email address with "32 CBG" in the title. Emailing that, I was contacted by a recruiter who I've since learned is with the Governor General's Horse Guards. Am I doing the right thing, or should I find 32 CER contact info? I haven't been told anything other than to stick with the this one recruiter so far.

Canuck10 said:
I'm actually not 100% sure. When searching the FORCES.ca site to find out how to make my first contact, I found the 32 CER info and an email address with "32 CBG" in the title. Emailing that, I was contacted by a recruiter who I've since learned is with the Governor General's Horse Guards. Am I doing the right thing, or should I find 32 CER contact info? I haven't been told anything other than to stick with the this one recruiter so far.

I don't know for sure, but my bet is that 32 CER isn't large enough to have their own recruiters, so the recruiter from the Horse Guards is conducting recruiting for several units. This is a good thing, because it shouldn't be a recruiter from the CFRC who "owns" your file. The CFRC just does a lot of the processing that reserve units aren't equipped to perform (such as Medical, CFAT, Reliability Status, Interviews).

So, I would contact the Horse Guards recruiter directly, by email or phone, as ask him straight up if he knows where your file is, and if not, politely ask him if he could look into it for you.

I don't know about 32 CER, but at my unit my CO does not find it acceptable for potential recruits' files to sit in limbo with no explanation for long period of time. If you were being recruited here, it wouldn't even by YOU bugging our recruiter, it would be my CO getting regular SITREPS on recruit files and asking my recruiter "Hey, what's the deal with this Canuck10 guy? Why's his file been sitting doing nothing for 2.5 months. Get me answers. Now."

Good Luck.  :salute:

Back