• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

question on preparing for basic (intelectually)

Vladimer

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys, just a quick question, im planning to get into the reserves next summer, planning to take the one month basic training instead of the weekend deal, question is, besides doing the physical training and all, is there anything i could start trying to learn or practise before joining up?  or is it all pretty much physical work

from what ive been told its 90% mental 10% physical.. if you believe you can do it. you can.. you get pushed to succed not fail

they dont want you to flunk out.. just work to your potential.. and we as canadians have a HIGH potential..
:p

Well, it's a LOT of physical work, but the key is, as tomas said, your mentality.  Your physical limits are controlled by your mind, so if you can get it in your head that you can keep going, you will.  Of course, the other half is knowing your limits so you don't injure yourself.

For the physical side, running, push ups, sit ups, chin ups. Do those, and do them often. Get yourself into a routine (there are a few threads featuring some people's routines, and there are some links to various fitness websites).  You could also check out the book "The Complete Guide To Navy SEAL Fitness" by Stewart Smith. I've got it after hearing a few reviews from here and the other Army board (which is gone).

"and we as canadians have a HIGH potential.."

That may be the reason why the brass in the French Foriegn Legion likes us so much....

As for the training, I forget the persons quote exactly but it is along these lines... "Train hard, fight easy. Train easy, fight hard, lose, die."
And it is that simple. When ever it is raining or looking nasty outside I grab my pack and find the biggest puddle to do push-ups in, because if I am harder on myself then the drill master, then it should be a walk in the park, with mere details to get in the way.

Joe.

alright, thanks for the advice guys, what i ment more though was like in basic do you have to distinguish between friendly and foe from pictures for example, or study anything from books?

Not in Basic. All you have to memorize is the rank structure and you'll also cover military law and what you're responsibilities are.

Is reserve basic really only a month long? You may want to verify that.

I go to reserve BMQ in chilliwack on august 2nd until september 2nd.  only a month.

I am also in the process of applying and I have been reading through field manuals and various publications, found here:

http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/

It can be dry reading, but I found some manuals to be very interesting.

super, thanks alot guys, and yes, its about a month or so long, or you can take i belive its the weekend option which takes about 6 months to complete but your only going weekends and i think some wensdays or something along those lines, figured if your going to get a experience out of it, you might as well be at the base for at least a month :)

Back