• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on legal knife length in Canada

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Is this knife legally allowed to be carried in Canada?

http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-Special-Forces-Tan-G10-Handle-Tanto-AutoLAWKS-Veff-Combo

Website says the blade length is 3.5"
Box says it's 3" and measuring the actual cutting edge of the blade it's 3"

CRM16-13DSFG_xlarge_16622_large_255.jpg

there is no restriction as long as it isnt concealed and you are carrying it for a lawful purpose. Self defense isnt a lawful purpose- so a sword to cut seat belts would be confiscated.

I have this in black I believe and carry it in my kit. I know several others with this style and size.

What is considered concealed? In a sheath on your belt or something similar would be acceptable, would it not?

In my experience in several provinces is concealment is in the intent. As in it appears you are attempting to conceal its presence- not merely covering it. Lika a regular knife in your pocket would be by definition concealed but your intent is just to transport it.

My duty knife is in my pocket with the clip outside. Being on your belt in a sheath, and taking it off before entering places where it isnt allowed, or taking it out of your pocket wouldnt be considered, again in my experience, concealing a weapon. Its a tool- there are alot of legitimate uses for knives that arent killing folks. It only becomes a concealed weapon when you wear it inside your pants for self defence....

does that make sense? Its a very difficult thing to get charged for. Usually it comes about when two idiots are fighting drunk and one guys buddy produces a tanto from his waist band.

YMMV

that said- I currently work with a police officer stupid as the day is long. She would more than likely charge anyone for any knife she didnt notice right away.

Best practice is if your carrying it have it at least partially visible or in a sheath that looks like a knife sheath.

Until we figure out how to fix cops with no common sense the rest of us have to stay a step above even the accusation.

Thanks all for the replies. I've never carried a knife before, I'm going to carry it in my pocket with the clip on the outside.

Container said:
that said- I currently work with a police officer stupid as the day is long. She would more than likely charge anyone for any knife she didnt notice right away.

Best practice is if your carrying it have it at least partially visible or in a sheath that looks like a knife sheath.

Until we figure out how to fix cops with no common sense the rest of us have to stay a step above even the accusation.

I know what you mean, sorta.

I had my cities 'chief firearms officer' argue with me telling me it was legal to have a 9mm automatic with 15 round magazines but .45 because it's a special caliber, you are only allowed a magazine of 5.
The police were helping me get confiscated pistols back so it was a very polite argument on my behalf :)

Kinda weird rules around knives. A butter fly knife or 4 inch German ww2 gravity knife would be illegal, but a 9 inch hunting knife isn't.
It's too bag push daggers are illegal too.

id say the only thing "special" about your situation is the "Chief Firearms Officer"

Container,

Whats the word on assisted-openers? I couldn't get a sog trident assisted-opener from knifecenter.com because they were getting too many stopped at the border, but I know a store in Ottawa that sells them now.

Even though I think automatics should be legal, it stands to reason that since they aren't then assisted-openers would also be illegal.

I had my cities 'chief firearms officer' argue with me telling me it was legal to have a 9mm automatic with 15 round magazines but .45 because it's a special caliber, you are only allowed a magazine of 5.

Just....Just.... :facepalm:

If you mean those one hand opening knives/ assisted knives- they are legal as far as I know. I dont have my criminal code in front of me- but being legal and not having a CBSA agent tie your item up for years in red tape and appeals are two different things. 99% of those agents are fine. But I always seem to get a 1% guy.

I lost a lazer, dont ask, to CBSA that was completely legal. Body builiding supplements, firearms parts, tac gear......all to be never seen again because some guy who grew up in Toronto feels like he's doing the lords work by protecting Canada from items that resemble something thats prohibited.

I now buy my stuff in Canada if it even looks like it could confuse a city slicker so I avoid these types of situations.

Never apply reason to how things get prohibited- two basically identical items can wind up with one prohibited and one not. The people that make these calls generally dont understand the subject matter....that last part is opinion- but when two same things can have one be okay....something isnt firing correctly.

Would there be any length restrictions on sailing knives for recreational purposes? I plan on sailing in an area that's well-patroled come spring, rather be safe than sorry.

Im sorry- Im not trying to be rude and I may just be completely ignorant of sailing- but if there is a "sailing knife" the utility of which is well known for being involved in sailing safely or efficiently why would there be a restriction on it?

Ive seen some gnarly diving knives that are machete sized that are fine for using while diving. Knives in bakerys....know what I mean?

Container said:
If you mean those one hand opening knives/ assisted knives- they are legal as far as I know.

Believe the CCC says anything that is opened by the push of a button, gravity, or centrifugal force is prohibited. IE- Butterfly knife or a switchblade. I searched the "sog trident assisted-opener" on YouTube, and the one I saw opened with the push of a button, which is a no go.

Precept said:
Believe the CCC says anything that is opened by the push of a button, gravity, or centrifugal force is prohibited. IE- Butterfly knife or a switchblade. I searched the "sog trident assisted-opener" on YouTube, and the one I saw opened with the push of a button, which is a no go.

I buy Knives in the US on a regular basis and each and every one I tighten up the screws so a overzealous customs agents don't flick them open with one hand and seize it.

ballz said:
Container,

Whats the word on assisted-openers? I couldn't get a sog trident assisted-opener from knifecenter.com because they were getting too many stopped at the border, but I know a store in Ottawa that sells them now.

Check out the line of knives by CKRT in the sytle the original poster showed....

They've got a pair of teflon washers in them, and they open one handed, as fast, as smooth, and as easy as assisted opening knives, no springs to mess around with... just a pair of teflon washers, take it completely apart, clean, oil, and reassemble in a few minutes... I own several... including one very similar to the one shown by the original poster (Which, by the way, I don't recommen at all... the wide "guard" at the base of the knife doesn't serve any purpose other then looking cool... just makes it dangerous carry in a pocket... have a look at the M16 series, much better...)

RemembranceDay said:
Would there be any length restrictions on sailing knives for recreational purposes? I plan on sailing in an area that's well-patroled come spring, rather be safe than sorry.

It was always easy to tell a "new" sailor on the ships - they were the ones carrying the fancy knives with 8" blades right out of a Hollywood movie.  Most seasoned bosuns would be seen wearing a sheath with one of these and a marlin spike, and get along with just about any ropework you'd find on a ship.

RemembranceDay said:

I see by your profile you're in the cadets and I assume you are talking about sailing on a cadet ship.

Here are the rules we follow in the Navy

2118. Knives
1. Switch blades, butterfly knives, double edge blades, or similar spring-loaded knives are prohibited.
2. No one shall have onboard a knife with a blade longer than four inches, unless the knife is carried openly
and required for seamanship purposes.
3. All personnel employed on the upper deck during the normal course of their duties shall carry the approved
seaman’s knife IAW the scale of issue. These personnel include, but are not limited to:
(a) Bosns;
(b) RAS Teams;
(c) Boats crews and lowerers;
(d) Part ship hands; and
(e) Pers standing upper deck watches.
4. All remaining members of the ship’s company shall carry a knife at sea.
5. Martial Arts weapons such as Fighting Sticks, Throwing Stars and any others prohibited by law, are
prohibited.

That being said a knife like the Russell Grohmman with marlin spike would suffice. It is the same issue knife as issued on surface ships.

Precept said:

The location of the button is what would make it prohibited.

Precept said:

From Wiki, but it has citations:
Section 84(1) defines such knives as "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife".

Obviously the important part to do with the SOG Trident Folder would be "hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device" and "in or attached to the handle of the knife."

The SOG Trident Folder doesn't have a button, it has a thumbscrew, but I suppose that's really an "other device." However, the thumb screw is on the blade, not "in or attached" to the handle... which is what Container said here:

Container said:
The location of the button is what would make it prohibited.

But the spring that is having pressure applied to it (via the thumbscrew) is obviously inside the handle, but does that count?... :-S

Sounds to me that the one-handed openers that Grimaldus and A Sig Op are talking about are the safest bets WRT avoiding legal troubles since "One-handed opening knives have been designated as legal to import by Canada Border Services as long as they don't fall into one of the prohibited categories" (needs a citation).... despite the fact that there is absolutely no difference between any of them... Container said it the way I've felt about it for a while: don't try to apply any reason or logic to this stuff.

Back