• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question need some help...

That was a pretty good link, but the info for me is still hollow. I'm going to hit a recruiting thread see if they know anything more on this topic.

Thanks,

FoxTwo

Oh this question is straight out of the blue.

How do you address NCO's if you are a cadet/civilian? By Sir or Rank?

In my experience, it doesn't really matter. It's only once you get in that it matters.

Yes I understand that, but if you were a Sgt. would you rather have a 14 year-old calling you Sgt or Sir, (some would prefer being called by their ranks), but what is the written/unwritten rule if there is one?

Call him Sergeant...

Militia Co-Op is right up your alley my friend.  I once instructed on such a course and have spent time in the unit recruiting booth back when I was green.

Here's the scoop and feel free to fire any more questions my way.

Once you turn 16 you are eligible to join the Army Reserves (with parental consent) - some school boards have an agreement in the works with the CF to allow their students to attend military training during the week while still fulfilling any school requirements.  In most cases these students are still paid as soldiers in the CF (because they are).  You will gain 4 high school credits (in most cases these credits are not advanced and thus not ideal for prospective University students - keep this in mind).  Training is usually done in the second term of school (Jan-Jun) - if you school does not have two distinct terms, then you may have to change schools for that year.

End result - 4 high school credits, basic training in the Army and a good chance of getting summer employment in order to complete your more advanced courses.

Ok..... sticking my neck out here a bit as i don't have all the info like other ppl in my unit would but here it goes.....

Out here in BC (lower mainland primarily) it is a requirement to graduate high school that you have completed 40 hours of OJT at some sort of work. Now, I'm not to sure who came up with this idea whether its CFRC or local units but what has been going on out here is the units canvass the local high schools that we will fill this requirement for them. so what we have done is put together a pseudo basic package that is 1 week in length. So for 1 week a specific high school is brought in and the kids will learn drill, PT, basics of how we can survive in the field (i.e. shown IMP's and how we prepare them), how to set up hooches and personal cam and concealment, shown basic weapons and description of such ( just an intro to them to see what they look like and how they feel in their hands). we don't get into the drills to use them at all. They are also shown the "bigger picture" in how our unit fits into the overall battle so they have an understanding of how all the different components of the army work together to complete the common goal. And numerous other things to round out the week of "training". From this program they then have a better idea of what the military has to offer them in the future and many come out with a better prospective of the military in general. I'll talk to some buddies who are more closely associated with this program and try to find out more, i.e. the name of this program (which for the life of me I cannot remember)

Anyways.... you can check with recruiting and they I'm sure will know of this program and if it is offered in your area
hope this helps in some way and good luck in your search to lend a hand

Thanks for the reply Zoomie and Arty_4, I attempted to ask this question in the recruiting forum, but you guys respond much faster. This is what I posted up.

Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify a few things about Army Reserve Co-Op (High School). This is if you were to join a Combat Ready Infantry Unit (Lorne Scots).

1) When would you go?
2) Will it interfere with your summer of that year?
3) What would you exactly be doing everday?

foxtwo said:
Thanks for the reply Zoomie and Arty_4, I attempted to ask this question in the recruiting forum, but you guys respond much faster. This is what I posted up.

Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify a few things about Army Reserve Co-Op (High School). This is if you were to join a Combat Ready Infantry Unit (Lorne Scots).

1) When would you go?
2) Will it interfere with your summer of that year?
3) What would you exactly be doing everday?

foxtwo, I'm a co-op teacher, and currently have one student doing a militia co-op placement with an armoured recce unit. 

Since you're interested in the Lorne Scots, I'm going to assume that you're in the Brampton area.  I'm not 100% sure if they offer a militia co-op program or not, as not all units do.  I can tell you how the program runs at my school, but you're best to talk to the co-op department or guidance at your school for more information.  If they look at you like you're from mars, then they likely aren't running that program.  If that's the case, phone around to other schools in the area to find one that is (even try the other school boards if necessary - I know that the York Public board runs militia co-op).

In our situation, the student attends training with the unit from 0800-1630 Tuesday to Friday, and will be going out to the field with them for some longer periods as well.  They are basically doing the Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) and Soldier Qualification (SQ) courses, so that this summer, that individual can go on to advanced MOC training if he wishes.  He gets 4 credits, since it's an all day placement, and is also getting payed by the CF (most other co-op placements don't allow this).  There is no commitment to stay with the unit once they're done the semester (so, no, it won't necessarily effect your summer), however most of the students end up staying on because they've enjoyed it so much.  As for what he's doing everyday, well just find yourself a description of BMQ and SQ for your answer (first aid, drill, C-7 service rifle, map & compass, care of personal kit, etc)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Garbageman,

That's now motivated me to talk to a counselor. And yup I do live in Brampton  :D

I doubt the Lorne Scots has a Co-op, or it would have been advertised on their sight right?
If I get my school to them to look into it now, (which is still really new) is there a chance that the Lorne Scots could start a Co-op or something, or would it be too much work... I'm too scared to call the Scots, I don't know why (lol). I still have plenty of time though. I'm only in Grade 9  ;D

After talking to some other people, I've learned that the Lorne Scots did at one time offer a militia co-op program.  Just not sure if they still do or not.  Since you're getting paid to do it though, it would be easy for you to commute into a unit somewhere else if you had to (my student takes the GO train everyday).

You're right though, you've still got time to think about it.  But the application process usually starts earlier than for other co-op programs, so good to be thinking about it now.  In order to qualify, you have to meet all of the CF's standards, as well as have achieved 16 credits (usually this means done Grade 10).  Our program runs only in the second semester every year.

Since I am gone for a whole semester, Is there a way where I can get like a residence at like Trenton and do some reserve there work there or something for a few months If I do air reserve? That would be my dream :eek:  Even better if they pay for it...

16 Wing Borden JUST started taking College co-op students, and that took a lot of convincing.  Those are students taking an Aviation Management program, so it's not likely that they'd be keen on taking on high school students with no formal training.  Who knows, I could be mistaken, but essentially, your co-op placement opportunities depend entirely on how ambitious you and your co-op teacher want to be.  I doubt they'd be receptive to you doing a placement that far away from home though.  As your teachers, we are mandated to do regular visits, and obviously, this would present a bit of a problem.

I wanted to talk to the Co-op teacher guy, but he wasn't in his office afterschool. I'm going to try again.

Thanks Garbageman

Back