• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question for a Recruiter

kcdist

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.....

I thought I'd reach out here as we've hit a brick wall and I'm looking for a 2nd opinion. I'm the father here posting about my son's situation, as he's currently working on a remote construction project in N. Sask. and has almost (but not quite) written off his CF application due to the inflexible bureaucracy that he's encountered.

The scenario -

Very smart kid. A- average in online High School. Completed SAT in the US and scored in top 5%. Then decided College wasn't for him, and dropped out of high school with literally two courses to go. He's been working construction for the past 6 years, however, he's finally determined that it's a hard life without security and started looking for other options. Younger brother is in RMC, and, with both parents having served, the CF seemed like a strong option.

He applied for the 'in-demand' trade of VehTech and wrote his CFAT. Feedback was positive, and his file was placed in the queue.

Problem - His High School was taken outside of Canada, both at a physical school for grades 8-10 and then online through University of Nebraska for his senior grades. In accordance with CF policy, he was required to seek an 'equivalency' through an official assessment company. Through the private company that was recommended, World Education Services (WES), he was given a Grade 11 equivalency, however, the company would not list his specific courses. For VehTech, there is a requirement for a Math and a Science course, both of which he completed and are documented on his high school transcript. The first process with WES took 2 months.

In an effort to get the two courses acknowledged, he applied to the second recommended company, the Gov't of Alberta IQAS (International Qualification Assessment Service). This process took 3 months, and in the end, he receive a one sentence email advising that they also would not list individual High School Courses.

In Summary, after 5 months and $350+, he has an official "Grade 11 Equivalency", but his courses are not listed. However, he does have the official University of Nebraska transcript on which his equivalency was based, and that clearly lists all his courses and grades, including a total of 3 Math and Science courses.

Frustratingly, the Recruiting Center will not acknowledge the official transcript, and will only acknowledge the required courses if they are on the official assessment, which we now know is a dead end.

Son's opinion is "Why would I pursue this any further if this is the type of bureaucratic BS I'll have to deal with"

My opinion is that he would actually be a perfect fit in the CF and both my son and the CF would lose out if there is no solution. Son is pretty darn smart, a hard charger, very fit, and not afraid of hard work and getting his hands dirty.

Can a recruiter provide any advice on another avenue to pursue?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
kcdist, I understand the frustration with the process of having out-of-country transcripts assessed for specific high school courses. The issue with the original transcripts is that the recruiters are not able (allowed) to assess if the courses taken are equivalent to the "Grade 10 Applied Math" course that is required on the Entry Standard for Vehicle Tech (the grade achieved does not matter, only that the course was successfully completed)... and American high school math courses are not always taught at the same level as in Canada, which varies greatly across each of the 50 states. The personnel selection branch strictly enforces its policies, whether they make sense or not, and a trade being "In Demand" does not mean that its entry standard is flexible (a waiver would not be entertained in this scenario).

I have certainly seen IQAS/WES reports that detail the equivalency, although I am unsure of the process to request such results, unfortunately... while not a great solution, it is always possible to pay for the required course through correspondence (in Saskatchewan or Alberta) and challenge the exam. Another available option is to change his application to an occupation that does not have specific course requirements.

Back