• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about the hearing test in the medical exam

arthfader

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thank you all for your service to this country and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I have been contemplating joining the Forces for awhile. I am an Aircraft Mechanic by trade and would like to offer my services to the Air Force in a related field (Aviation Systems Technician, Avionics Systems Technician, Aircraft Structures Technician etc.). However I do have a concern as to how my hearing can affect my chances of being recruited.

My right ear hears things fine however I do have hearing problems with my left. I understand that a hearing category is assigned once the test is complete. Is this an average result of both ears? 

If you actually look at the link provided, it is all explained.

Your worse ear is the one that will decide your category, however they do look at both ears. Each trade in the military has different standards. Some trades may accept someone with H3 while others only H2 will do.

I have copied and pasted the info from PMedMoe for you:
H1
- the member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 8000 Hz
  frequency range.

H2
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 30 dB in each ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H3
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to hear sounds of less than or equal to 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

H4
- The member has the necessary auditory acuity to only hear sounds greater than 50 dB in either ear in the 500 to 3000 Hz
  frequency range.

Aviation Systems Technician  43335
Avionic Systems Technician  43335
Aircraft Structures Technician 43335

I have noticed that most are H3 (although the is a smattering of H2s...) Fun fact - officers don't need to hear so well!!

paleomedic said:
Your worse ear is the one that will decide your category, however they do look at both ears. Each trade in the military has different standards. Some trades may accept someone with H3 while others only H2 will do.

Thank you for the information paleomedic, this is what I was looking for. And thank you all for the feedback!

I'll note the following for interest's sake.  My enrollment medical 6 years ago classified my hearing at the H3 level.  I recently completed another medical for a component transfer, and was pleased to find my hearing has improved? to an H1.  Not sure how that happened.

shootemup604 said:
I'll note the following for interest's sake.  My enrollment medical 6 years ago classified my hearing at the H3 level.  I recently completed another medical for a component transfer, and was pleased to find my hearing has improved? to an H1.  Not sure how that happened.

Did they inspect your ear canal for wax? Had you had a recent infection? Did you have a head cold with Eustachian tube involvement?  There are many things that can skew a hearing test....

PMedMoe said:
Did they inspect your ear canal for wax? Had you had a recent infection? Did you have a head cold with Eustachian tube involvement?  There are many things that can skew a hearing test....

He CFRd to officer!

Back