• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about the armored...

Coldplay

Inactive
Reaction score
I just looked through all 20 pages on the armored section here and read about 5 topics that might have been related to what I was wondering, but turns out they weren't.

Anyway, I was wondering if the armored guys ever fight as Infantry? Like on foot? I am trying to make my three choices and one of them is Infantry, but the armored is also one of them. My grandfather, who served 34 years in the CF asked why I picked Infantry over Armored and I pretty much said that I felt that Infantry was the main fighting force and that they are doing most of the fighting. To which he responded "Trust me those armored guys probably get attacked and fight a lot too since they are a big target."

ArmoUred soldiers have been known to foot patrol, yes.

Every soldier is an infantryman first and basics are taught to everyone.

To further Bzzliteyr,

Yes Armour does do dismounted work.

Armoured reconnaissance would not be possible without dismounted work.  Ask and Recce (Armour) guy about their contextual job, and it will involve a lot of dismounted drills, and performing watered down (or full blown) clover leaf searches of TAI's (Targets of Interest) and NAI's (Named Area's of Interest). 

We can also get into discussions about dismounted mud OP's and various other tasks that are doctrinal Armoured Recce tasks.

In a nutshell, yes as a crewman you will find yourself on the ground alot if you are Armoured Recce.  The old adage "Death before Dismount" really is not in play anymore (although some oldtimers may disagree ;D).

Cheers,

Quag

There's good info here, but I'm going to pass on the best advice I was given.

Don't be armoured if you want to be infantry. Decide what you want to 'be', and do that trade. There's no use of being a crewman, when you're interested in the 20% of infantry work they do. Considering 80% is still armoured.

I cant speak for all tours I got back from the desert in Sept.  We try not to dismount as the our tanks are somewhat ineffective.  We always had infantry and engineers with us and we work together very well.  We had crewman, man the Ops in the FOBs.  I will not speak on the Recce aspect as they were on there own the most part.  Now your choice between armour and Infantry.  thats a tough choice to make.  We were HUGE tarkets but better protected.. From What I saw the Infantry had a better comarade then we did, not saying we didnt but theres were a stronger bond.  The tanks are very very very HOT. Did Isay they were hoT.  What ever I did there was a Infantry section there with me.  If you have any other questions dont hesitate to contact me.

As others said every member is an infantry soldier first, but if having a role as infantry is the deciding factor for joining the armoured you might be better off just joining the infantry. Though I would like to be a combat engineer because they have been known for infantry work but it isn't their main role so I'm being a little hypocritical.

I am going on my 5th tour, this is my second as "Infantry". I am an Armoured Officer (Now, formerly from the ranks) I did a tour in 97 with the LdSH(RC) as an infanteer when we did a Regimental tour. I am now going as a LAV Capt for 1 PPCLI.
The best advice I have seen on here is "if you want to go Infantry, don't go Armoured" as even the dismounted stuff we do really isn't what the Infantry does. As for the "camaraderie" thing, I have seen both sides (see above) and I don't see any difference. Sometimes people just don't get along, and as Frank pointed out the heat can make you cranky!
Good luck with YOUR choice, make it for you and not your family!

Here's some Dragoon's training in the light recce role..... note the ease with which they can dismount quickly and go from a mounted recce to a foot patrol....  :blotto:

When you become a Armoured Soldier do you get to pick where you are posted in Canada?

You do get asked where you would like to go but that is just for niceties.  I know if there are potential administrative problems then the NCO in charge of sorting out who goes where might take those into account.  The Armour School section taking care of DP1s is very efficient.  The thing to remember is that the Army's needs take precendence over those of the new soldier.

I have seen english soldiers posted to french units and vice versa, people from the West posted East and vice versa.  You have a chance of getting "home" but I always recommended to new soldiers to get out and see the country they can be proud to call theirs. It is beautiful and getting back to mommy shouldn't be your number one priority.

Quag said:
Actually, yes you do.  However, you will not always get your choice.

So the answer is "Nope".

I want Elmira, Ste Michael, Hinton.......what? I can't pick "anywhere"?

Why blow smoke up a potential new recruits ass?

Besides, that job belongs to the CFRC's. :nod:

I will elaborate a bit on my reply and say that a potential new crewman (woman) will most likely get to ask for any one of the three regiments as a posting (RCD in Petawawa, 12RBC in Valcartier or Ldsh(RC) in Edmonton) I think there may even be the possibility of getting posted to Wainwright or Gagetown right off the bat as well but don't quote me on that.

Once you progress career-wise, you'll find more openings in more "exotic" locations.  For instance, I have managed to get a posting to a little town in Quebec... you may have heard of it, Montreal.  Keep an eye on their hockey team, they may be going places this year.. (fingers crossed)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
So the answer is "Nope".

I want Elmira, Ste Michael, Hinton.......what? I can't pick "anywhere"?

Why blow smoke up a potential new recruits ***?

Besides, that job belongs to the CFRC's. :nod:

OK, I see where you are going with this Bruce, but still a little inaccurate.

Bzz had it right but I will just clarify it a little further.

You will do your BMQ, and DP1 (which incorporates SQ now) and near the end of your DP1 you will be given the choice between 3 Regiments (RCD, LdSH (RC), 12e).  You make the choice, but you will not always be given your choice.  I would say that about 70% of people are accommodated in terms of their Regimental choice.

In terms of who chooses where you will go, it is not CFRC.

It is the RSM and CO of the Regiments who choose as well as the NCM Armour Career Manager that makes the manning slates.

Hope this clears it up a little.

Bzzliteyr said:
Once you progress career-wise, you'll find more openings in more "exotic" locations. 

Yup. Could end up at the Recruiting Centre in Windsor. ;D

Are those even classified as "towns"?  Villages maybe?  Do they have a hockey team?

Auto capital of Canada. And yes, the #1 ranked team in the CHL. Go Spits!

Back