• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about leave

SELC

Inactive
Reaction score
I have two Questions about leave and I have read the current Canadian Forces leave manual and I do not know how to approach these situations.

My Father just recently passed away (January) and I have been named as the executor.  One of my responsibilities will be the closing of his home after it has sold. This will entail me having to travel to the home and then selling or transporting the material within it to a different location. 

This leads to the first question, what type of leave should i be asking for ?  should I ask for compassionate or is there another type I should look for?

The second situation involves my daughter who is age 4 and she requires an operation to correct her eye, for this time period I want to be off with her during her recovery period which will be a week or so, plus and appointments during this time.  Again i do not know how to approach this situation either since it is not really covered by the leave manual.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

This is clearly a chain of command question.  I would figure out how much time you really need and approach your supervisor with your intent and see if there is a reasonable solution. 

I'd say the first one may still fall under Compassionate leave.  From the leave manual: "The purpose of compassionate leave is to provide CF members with sufficient time away from their place of duty when such absence is appropriate as a result of urgent and exceptional personal reasons."

For the other, you can request compassionate, but just remember that it may not get approved.  Then, you'd have to use annual.

Also, don't forget about Short leave: time away from duties to "conduct urgent personal business".

This will all be at the recommendation of your CO.  You might want to speak with your immediate supervisor.  They may ask you to submit a memo.

Spring_bok said:
This is clearly a chain of command question.  I would figure out how much time you really need and approach your supervisor with your intent and see if there is a reasonable solution. 

Yep.  :nod:

I agree with the dealing with the estate should still fall within the definitions of the Compassionate Leave.

But for my daughter's operation, the shorts will assist with the days with the appointments but for the time after the operation it just falls shot.

I did ask my chain and they said to look into it myself and then bring back recommendations with what I think I will need.  Posting here is just an additional little reality check.

SELC said:
I did ask my chain and they said to look into it myself and then bring back recommendations with what I think I will need.  Posting here is just an additional little reality check.

Your chain of command needs a swift kick in the nuts and then release if they are jerking you around like this in a compassionate situation.

AmmoTech90 said:
Your chain of command needs a swift kick in the nuts and then release if they are jerking you around like this in a compassionate situation.

I'd like to agree but this pretty much boils down to just how "accommodating" the CoC is willing to be, given the circumstances, which we really aren't privi to.

The CF Leave Manual I believe does give "examples" for compassionate situations but the examples given are sometimes taken literally  as "gospel".  Compassionate Leave is accountable and should be managed accordingly.

I don't believe that dealing with the after effects (estate) would fall into this category but I will surely check and edit my post if required.

DAA said:
I'd like to agree but this pretty much boils down to just how "accommodating" the CoC is willing to be, given the circumstances, which we really aren't privi to.

The CF Leave Manual I believe does give "examples" for compassionate situations but the examples given are sometimes taken literally  as "gospel".  Compassionate Leave is accountable and should be managed accordingly.

I don't believe that dealing with the after effects (estate) would fall into this category but I will surely check and edit my post if required.

I had somewhat of the same issues pop up with one of my NCOs last year - he was the executor of a family member's estate and was given the appropriate initial amount of compassionate leave to deal with what needed immediate attention, with the understanding more "could" be granted if it was absolutely required.

WRT doing your own research - I concur with the PD aspect of it, however there is a time and place for everything, and this isn't it. The CoC should be taking this issue to either the Adj or Padre (or both) and the CO will decide what he would like to give (if anything) based on their recommendations (or not). Telling a troop to go back and figure it out for themselves definitely doesn't smell right.  :facepalm:

WRT the operation time off, it would be totally up to the CO, however I have seen combinations of short, special, compassionate and buckshee leave given depending on the location of the surgery and recovery. There are ways to get the OP the time he / she needs to be with their daughter without using annual leave - but again, the CoC needs to be engaged - not the member figuring it out on their own.... :facepalm:

thanks all for the replies

I do believe that my CoC meant it as a PD item, when my sister, grand mother and now father have passed in the last 3 year they have been really supportive with giving me the time I needed to be with family..  personally I am running out of family so.....   

I think my next step will be to talk to my Chief Clerk and see what he thinks and then pass a tentative plan to my warrent and see what he thinks.

I appreciate all the comment

Cheers

Coops

Have to shake my head over this one, telling the troop to figure it out themselves? I would have thought that the member's supervisor and superiors would have been all over this. Crap a few years ago while I was on leave I had a family member pass and discovered after returning from said leave that a portion of my time had been changed to compassionate, and all I had done was notify my supervisor of the death.
On second thought perhaps the chain only wants to know how much total time and dates he requires so they can figure out from there what they can do for him, if I remember correctly short and special are time limited by the month so if the time periods stretch over month's end more time can be arranged in the same period. Maybe clarification from the chain is warranted before anger, I would take it as an opportunity to develop your own "admin fu" to enable you to better look after your own people.

PD doesn't necessarily mean figure it out on your own. Detailed explanations and being given the appropriate ref also counts as PD.

I don't think it unreasonable that his CoC asked for some information from him. It's OK to say I have a problem, it's not OK to just dump it in your supervisor's lap without any suggestion of how to resolve the issue. Members have as much of a role in the solution as the supervisor does.

Of course we only know one side. The instruction may have simply been figure out how much leave you will need, and how you intend to manage each issue, and get back to us. That being said, the member should not be on the hook for figuring out the entire solution. Provide the supervisor with the problem and some suggestions, and then it's their turn to act.

New leave year in less than a month - annual leave isn't just for taking vacations... 

That being said...

Compassionate leave is appropriate for your loss (I'm sorry for you loss BTW) - take the full amount that your CO can authorize, hopefully that helps WRT handling the estate. 

Your daughter's eye surgery doesn't meet the requirements for compassionate leave - so you're stuck with using your annual and any short that your CO authorizes.  Your immediate COC can also provide solutions on the day-to-day, late show to work followed by early release from work comes to mind.

Thanks for all the help i will keep you posted as to what happens

alot is dependent on the dates of which these events fall and how things can be made to work.

Cheers

Coops

Back