• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

question about Army rank slip-ons

greener

Inactive
Reaction score
I was looking at this site: http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dglepm/badges-insignia/cadpat_e.htm

How do the Army rank thingies fit on the uniform? Do they need to be sewn closed or is it a velcro thing? I know the blue (purple on this particular site) Air Force ones are shoulder slip ons. Just curious, decided I'd post this here since anywhere else this info would be considered basic knowledge.

They're all slip-ons... the two army ranks are what the slip on epaulettes look like before they're sewn together... why that's what they're displayed like on the site, no one knows...

Also, if you look at the two air force epaulettes, they've got the titles embroidered directly on to the epualette... whereas the army epaulettes have the embroidered tablets that are sewn on (Or not sewn on in this case).

I have no idea if this is the norm for the air force epaulettes, as I've only ever seen the new airforce uniforms once, and to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention. I have however also seen army type cadpat epaulettes with the titles embroidered directly on the epaulette. Looked rather silly.

To my knowledge, the TacHel sqns are the only ones with a unit tab on their slip ons, ie 427 THS or 430 ETAH (Tactical Helicopter Squadron and the equivalent in French).  The rest of us have Canada on our slip ons, so it's embroidered on them.  The OD ones that we wear on our flight suits have a Canada tab sewn on.

Cheers

Some individuals have been known to embroider the unit designation directly onto the slip on; this was a bit of a fad in our unit in the OD combats and was done on a private purchase individual level - and tolerated.  I've seen at least one person has started the practice again with the CADPAT and never saw the point of spending money to do it....to each his own, I reckon.

Anyone else having fun trying to see the rank of those passing by and can't because the CAMO is soo good? Not cool when you pass by a senior officer and he asked himself, why aren't any people saluting me? ..even worst with the Air Force slip ons.... I think we should use cadpat slip-ons with CF Gold stripes when we wear the red and white flag and switch to the ones we have now when we wear the green flag.. what do you guys think?

I agree with staud, its tough in Borden, alot of people in the airforce now have CADPAT. I think they look stupid, no offense. They are in CADPAT, with the blue stiching on their name tapes/slip ons, a blue t-shirt, and the blue gortex jacket. I just plain dont like it.

I was surprised to find out today that I've been classified in the Navy .. no CADPAT for me :)

correction:

I imagine I'll be wearing CADPAT during BMQ.

Calssified to the Navy, must be nice, I was trasnfered from teh Navy to the Army.... ahhhhhh

Hey, the US Navy are going to a urban cadpat soon... CBTs at sea???? silly americans... but hey it looks like a cool 80's army flick

The USAF came up with a blue tiger stripe uniform for garrison wear, while the US Navy came up with a blue digital pattern for work dress.

I too agree with Staud. We want to be able to pay officers their proper respects in garrison, yet we have subdued ranks. I for one have seen people miss officers of all ranks, whether it be second lieutenant right up to brigadier general. Its quite difficult to pick out these officers, especially for those of us with poor eyesight. lol

ToRN said:
is it AF or Navy in those pics?

appears to be navy to me.

Those are AF, Navy doesn't have specific CADPAT epaulettes .. not that I know of.

Yeah, greener, you're right. There are no Navy specific CADPAT epaulettes, yet at least. I've heard mutterings that such a thing might come to exist in the future, but nothing right now.

Navy doesn't use CADPAT b/c the Navy got rid of its Garrison dress when they brought in the new Sea Combats. With the intro of hte new Sea Combats, they were made 'walking out' dress. As per the dress intructions the Navy is supposed to wear their Sea CBTs so as to remind everybody of the different environments. Hey they took away the Navy's uniform once and you can bet that the Navy won't let 'them' take it away again... (Not that there is any 'us' and 'them' in the CF) Ha Ha

I agree that the Airforce CADPAT is indeed difficult to see, and something should be done about it.  There are many options available, to alleviate this problem.  As for the colour scheme, I've heard many positive remarks when I wear mine. 

Those that wear the blue Goretex with the CADPAT, are usually given permission on a base to base/unit to unit consideration.  Under the CEMS program, all Airforce personnel will eventually be sized and fitted with the proper CADPAT (everything from fleece to gloves).  In the meantime, they have to wear something with the uniform, and a blue Gabardine jacket looks even more foolish ::)  This is why you see them with the blue/green combo.

Finally, I have also heard rumours (from a Cdr, actually...doesn't make it official, but gives it a little more credibility), that the Navy will be following in the Airforce's footsteps.  Instead of the blue nametape, slip-ons and t-shirt, they will have black.  It's understood that the Navy has their own combat dress, but the NCD's aren't practical when closed up for security force ops at the main gate.  These will only be issued on an individual requirement basis, at least initially.  The Boarding Party Coveralls were looked at, but were considered too expensive, and it didn't have a whole set of accoutrement's (ie, cold weather/wet weather articles), as do the current combats.  More to follow, I'm sure.

Chimo!

Since the AF blue (which is, ironically, very close to navy blue) embroidery is damned hard to see, why in God's name is the navy opting for black?  Are we also going to wear white tshirts (perhaps with square necks) so at least the people not saluting will know they're not saluting an admiral rather than a general?

Mind you, I like the CADPATS: less ironing, less saluting.

Back