• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question abour enrolment -type of spouse ID needed

Messorius

Inactive
Reaction score
I applied for the Reserves and today I got a call letting me know everything's been finalized and I should be contacted about enrollment next week(yay). I was reading through the forum tonight to get an idea of what that might be like and found a post stating that since I am married, they will want to see the originals of both our marriage certificate and my husband's birth certificate.  Problem is, my husband(who immigrated from the UK) hasn't seen his certificate in about 20 years or so, and there's no guarantee my MIL can find the original, which is buried somewhere in an attic in England. It works how it does here-he can order online, and she can mail it-but it'll add on a lot of time I wasn't expecting.  Does anyone know if a passport is an acceptable substitute?

I will call and confirm on Monday, but it would save me tearing hair and give me two days lead on ordering things. Thanks much!

Messorius said:
I applied for the Reserves and today I got a call letting me know everything's been finalized and I should be contacted about enrollment next week(yay).

If you just applied, you are not being enrolled next week. You are going to be brought in to start more steps in the selection process.

I was  Does anyone know if a passport is an acceptable substitute?

No.

CDN Aviator said:
If you just applied, you are not being enrolled next week. You are going to be brought in to start more steps in the selection process.

That's not what she said, she said she applied and just got the call saying she is going to be enrolled next week.

In answer to your question, your best bet is to continue trying to find the birth certificate and call the recruiting center first thing on Monday to advise them of your situation.

If your husband is now a Canadian citizen his Canadian passport should be acceptable. As it would be if he were the person applying to join, your best bet is of course to confirm it with your local recruiting centre.

Gizmo 421 said:
If your husband is now a Canadian citizen his Canadian passport should be acceptable. As it would be if he were the person applying to join, your best bet is of course to confirm it with your local recruiting centre.

Sadly no, he's still a permanent resident, so he only has a UK passport.  MiL has more or less confirmed his original BC is in the wind, so he'll try ordering a new one online tonight. I'll call on Monday as planned and post back what I find out for anyone who might go through this in future. 

Thanks very much for the replies.  ;D

I meant to get back to this much earlier but computer blew up, blahblah stuff nobody cares about.  ;D

Since he wasn't a Canadian citizen, just a permanent resident, the MCpl helping me through my paperwork thought it was best that we had gone ahead and gotten a new copy of his birth certificate. It only took two weeks and cost about $50 CAD with the exchange rate for the expedited process(worth it, IMO, it was about 2 months the cheaper way).

Back