• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen Elizabeth II, 1926-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who is generally not a fan of the Monarchy, saddened by this more then I was expecting, as I always respected what Queen Elizabeth did with the job and her sense of service.

Will be weird not to see her face on our money, maybe we can keep it for a while in tribute (perhaps indefinitely).

And in an interesting twist to the events and changing circumstances of today.

New Canadian citizens reportedly swore allegiance on Thursday afternoon to 'His Majesty King Charles III, King of Canada'

Those taking their oaths of citizenship on Thursday got the honour of becoming the first round of new Canadians to swear allegiance to a new monarch, King Charles III, the first people to do so in seven decades, according to a viral Twitter thread.

Following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, who reigned for 70 years, citizenship ceremonies were ongoing in Canada, a solemn ritual in which participants swear allegiance to the monarch.

Roberto Rocha, a reporter with the Investigative Journalism Foundation described, in a series of tweets, the scene at a citizenship ceremony not long after the Queen’s death was announced.

I foresee gg.ca getting flooded with requests in the not-too-far future.

Honorary positions and military appointments​

Her Majesty’s honorary positions and military appointments do not automatically transfer to the new Sovereign.

All enquiries pertaining to honorary appointments or the use of the word “Royal” should be sent to:

View attachment 73429
I was given this photo of the approved art work for the Queen's Colours of the Regiment. Something that will be repeated or flown again as the regiment went Arty. Strange to see a world without that smile. God Bless Our Queen, Long Live the King.
I wish I would of proof read it better, this will never be flown or repeated as the Regiment went Arty. Always better proof reader the next day after send was hit

This has hit me harder than I ever suspected it would. The Queen is like the ravens at The Tower, The white cliffs of Dover, and the Houses of Parliament, Guy Fawkes' efforts notwithstanding. A constant, always been there and always will be. There is a void that, His Majesty the King, no matter how competent he turns out to be, will never entirely fill. RIP Mum, God Save The King.

For a lot of people the passing of HM seems like a personal loss. And as I reflect back on her visits to Canada what naturally comes to mind is the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton. The scene was something like this.

84251306_2847194608671859_8356715058918588416_n.jpg

I found that picture by happenstance yesterday while browsing on-line here. I'm pretty sure that's not my ambulance, but I do believe I was in the vicinity (if I'm correct in assuming it's at the Commonwealth Stadium) on that day. And it's definitely not me in the background near the front of the amb (I wasn't that fat husky back in the day, nor would I wear a beret in that manner). I wasn't that close to the Queen on that day but my opportunity came about at another event.

On the day that my ambulance was providing coverage at the Kinsman Aquatic Centre, the Queen (I don't remember Philip being there) attended some of the swimming events. We were parked near a service entrance on the far side of the facility as it made access into the building easier in case of an emergency. We had been there a while, sitting outside in the vehicle, when a Med O Colonel came up to us, introduced himself as being with Her Majesty's entourage and said that the Queen would be entering the Aquatic Centre by this door instead of the main entrance. He wanted our cooperation in providing a raised platform for a cameraman. In other words, he asked us to move our amb and let a TV camera on top of the box so that they could get better coverage. He very much stressed that it wasn't an order, it was left to us as long as it didn't interfere with our duty. He sweetened his proposal by offering to have us stand by the door (with him) as Her Majesty entered and that he would introduce us to her and explain what we doing there. How could we not refuse.

We reset our position, helped the cameraman up unto the box, warned him about safety and that if we had to go in an emergency then he better get off quick and his camera be damned. We didn't have long to wait for the official party to arrive. By this time a small crowd and security had gathered to watch the Queen's arrival, but the Colonel was true to his word and we were standing at the door with him anticipating our "royal audience". Her car arrived, she got out and started down the walk to the door, she made a couple of interactions with people lining the walkway, she got near the door, Donnelly (my MSE Op crewmate) and I saluted, she smiled and at that moment someone in her party said something to her and they entered the building. The Colonel said "sorry guys" and followed them. That's my royal memory.

Rumours are that the funeral is expected to take place Monday, the 19th.

Long live the King.

What a stabilizing presence she has been through an increasingly screwed up and disruptive world. And the institution that is the crown has helped to protect us from some of the ideological and political excesses that other nations have struggled with. Her successor will struggle to properly take that up.

I'm not a big 'FOX news guy', but this was good:

I like the defense of the Empire and such. It's not told in history class anymore. Even if you don't believe in it or hold the other view it's nice to hear an opposing side.
The proper study of history is forensic. It's takes all view points and accounts, gives a voice to all involved, and neither glorifies nor chastises those involved. It is simply stated as fact.

Anything else is propaganda.

The proper study of history is forensic. It's takes all view points and accounts, gives a voice to all involved, and neither glorifies nor chastises those involved. It is simply stated as fact.

Anything else is propaganda.
I'm just going by what my kids tell me when they come home from school. And it's as basic as British Empire bad. They did nothing good. The irony is lost that they are learning in English and are benefit by many of the things in modern world.

I'm just going by what my kids tell me when they come home from school. And it's as basic as British Empire bad. They did nothing good. The irony is lost that they are learning in English and are benefit by many of the things in modern world.
Oh I wouldn't expect anything else. I was merely stating my belief that the apologetic/guilty conscience teaching of Canadian and Empirical history is just as immoral to teach as the "we brought civility and the word of God to those ungrateful savages" glorification history.

Does anyone find it odd that our commonwealth defence force allies have all made official announcements of the passing of their Commander in Chief and our military has still said nothing? At least on SM I have seen nothing, can folks please prove me wrong?

DWAN email spam from PCO at noon the day after is the only thing I've seen, and it's shameful.

DWAN email spam from PCO at noon the day after is the only thing I've seen, and it's shameful.
I'm going to state this again, the message control from the PMO is making this nation look more and more foolish on the Commonwealth stage. That the government organization most closely aligned to the crown cannot make a statement of our Commander in Chief passing is distressing to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back