• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QOR Airborne Coy & proposed Airborne Battalion

vonGarvin said:
Hey.  No disprespect intended.
Peace

No skin off my nose, I wasn't one of them.  At the risk of speaking out of turn, I am sure they would have preferred not to have been surrounded for over a week. ;)  If you get my meaning.  Or Sean Connery's.  "Two days you said...we've been here nine!"

Michael Dorosh said:
No skin off my nose, I wasn't one of them.  At the risk of speaking out of turn, I am sure they would have preferred not to have been surrounded for over a week. ;)  If you get my meaning.  Or Sean Connery's.  "Two days you said...we've been here nine!"
For star power, that movie is not often equalled.  The Longest Day comes to mind.  Special effects aside, I think that A Bridge Too Far is an excellent movie.
Now, to keep this post on track ;-)
The CSOR is, I believe, going to have a jump capability.  I just inferred that from the prerequisite of a jump course OR willingness to take a jump course.  Also, given the entire force generation structure, I imagine that the reserves will have a "trickle down" capability.  Makes sense to have the reserve units that have held these jump positions to keep doing that (Status Quo).  I mean, why take away from QOR and give to say the HAST PER? (even though they are virtually co-located with CPC in Trenton).  Though, as a former serving Plough Jockey (once a Plough Jockey, always a Plough Jockey!), I'd like to see The Regiment get a beret at least close in colour to the scarlet berets they used to wear

PARATUS/PRO PATRIA

(unfortunately, the MPs have spoiled it for us - the Cherry berries aren't what they used to be)

MikeL said:
White Wing Training?

Once a person passes the Basic Parachutist Airborne Course they earn their wings(red maple leaf) if they go into a jump position(like in a Jump Coy) they replace the red maple leaf wings with white maple leaf wings.

Could you elaborate on "White Wing Training"?

Apparently, I've been missing out...

maybe the terminology was wrong, but the QOR jumpers do a number of different training exercises to earn their white wings, IE. LD/DZ drills (tactical), hand to hand, explosives, full equipment night winter etc, things like this, I meant to say that they dont just do bare ass jumps to keep the pilots current, they do training for airborne operations, based around 3RCR doctrine, they have to complete a number of different things before they are given their white wings.

???? oy vey!!
Explosive training?... to infantry???
have some doubts on that subject...

geo said:
???? oy vey!!
Explosive training?... to infantry???
have some doubts on that subject...

Why not? I've done basic demo in the Armoured Corps a number of times in my career. The last being about five years ago. Even used to teach it at one time, until it became pervue of the Engineers.

Razic said:
maybe the terminology was wrong, but the QOR jumpers do a number of different training exercises to earn their white wings, IE. LD/DZ drills (tactical), hand to hand, explosives, full equipment night winter etc, things like this, I meant to say that they dont just do bare *** jumps to keep the pilots current, they do training for airborne operations, based around 3RCR doctrine, they have to complete a number of different things before they are given their white wings.

Should you not as a menber of said regiment know what the proper terminology is, especially after being a member for 2 years.....

Im not a jumper yet and this info was given to me from a friend in the unit and others who told me about the all the things they had to complete before they were given their white wings.

(you should temper what "war stories" :warstory: you're told.)
There's a grain of truth BUT............

I don't understand why this is so unbelieveable. moving on, I dont think the QOR jump tasking will be affected by a new airborne battalion unless they just use them to keep the pilots current and its deemed no longer relavant for us to have the tasking.  But with CSOR coming into to play how many of you guys think this airborne idea will be scrapped anyways?

Razic, as it stands right now there is NO official word on a Airborne BN, it was mentioned by someone months ago an at the time they probably never knew about CSOR.

I highly doubt Air Force pilots need QOR jumpers to keep them current...

thats the point of the qor jump tasking to keep the pilots current for dropping dudes.

Razic,

While some military members have been guilty at some point in the past of inflating the "hardcore-ness" of their training, you have been fed a load of crap. The ONLY training that ever qualified as what could be construed as "white wing trg" was the Airborne Indoctrination course. This was a test of fitness, with a long (and fast) weighted march (and shoot?) and a test of regimental history. (I may be forgetting something)

This has'nt been done since the Airborne Regiment was disbanded, so you might find a few old dogs who could tell you about it. If you are being told that there is some sort of checklist of training that they must pass, they are just plain wrong.

As has been discussed before, you wear white wings if;

1) You are basic para qualified
2) You serve in an authorised parachute position

Once you have served in a Para role for two years, and ask to leave, you may keep them for life. If you have to leave, through no fault of your own (injury, posting etc.) you may keep them.

If you refuse to jump, you lose 'em, if you ask to leave in less than two years, ditto.

If members of your unit are feeding you this crap (hand to hand, trg with explosives etc.) ask them to show you in writing.

The other stuff (LZ/DZ, end stick rollups, DZORV drills etc.) are taught at unit level, usually in a walkthrough-talkthrough immediately before an exercise.

Hey Go!!!, as soon as possible ill talk to the para ops guy in my unit and i'll ask him what is exactly needed to be given white wings in our unit, may it be possible that because the QOR does not have a dedicated jump company (our maroon hats are slotted in with the leg platoons)that we may have different conditions for the white wings? as for the hand to hand class and explosives ive seen this first hand, and for the explosives one or two engineers come down to do a lecture or two, probably nothing too in depth, definitly not live, but we have dummy satchel charges in our QM aswell.  Now you've got me really interested because I know you're very experienced on this topic so any questions you raise I think should go and find out about.

Razic,
Hate to busrst your baloon but regulations on white leaf jump wings is not a unit "quiff" thing. Common throughout the CF.
Ahhh.... Engineers are present for lectures & your boys walk around with dummy satchel charges -  now that makes more sense..... though I am still skeptical that  Infantry types are permitted to fire charges (note - I am not trying to slag infantry - did many years as an infanteer before seeing the light).

From Geo
though I am still skeptical that  Infantry types are permitted to fire charges

Just so you are aware there is the Basic Demolition Course which quals all arms to fire non-electric charges. The course covers the basics of simple charges and using manufactured charges (Bangalores, beehives destructors).

dangerboy said:
From Geo
Just so you are aware there is the Basic Demolition Course which quals all arms to fire non-electric charges. The course covers the basics of simple charges and using manufactured charges (Bangalores, beehives destructors).

Well I hope you show me some of that this summer at my house,  I have that brush in the backyard to get rid of, remember?

dileas

tess

Back