• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Putin to re-station Russian nukes/military in Cuba?

You are referring to the concept of MAD... The anti-missile missile based from what I've read on the Standard-2er or an enhanced Patriot doesn't have the range to take out any Russian - based system save anything in Kaliningrad - and there the reaction time is too minimal - not to mention that the ground-based monitoring/guidance systems are located some distance south. In any-case the effective Russian ballistic missile retaliatory components of MAD are submarine-based. It's a straw argument - tempest in the teapot.

armyca08 said:
Actually I have a regular log in to many websites - the reason for using that login is due to the simplicity of the name.

I think one would need to research the missle sheild system a little before making comments about how it is only usable for defensive purposes. Part of the issue is that if the US is able to freely strike and no counter attack is possible, it removes the deterent capacity of the weapons to some strategic degree.

Agreed, that's a fair assumption.

On the sign in, you do know I was joking (dark and sinester), but easy, designate and 08 does fit your description also.

Cheers.

JasonSkald said:
I can't really see this happening - Raúl Castro is much less ideological than Fidel. He's been introducing some liberal reforms, with more apparently to come. Russia may seek to reestablish influence in Cuba, but I can't see Raúl throwing away the recent progress in order to help a country that essentially abandoned Cuba in its time of need. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Period

I'm inclined to agree, while I wouldn't put it past Putin to attempt a move like this I don't see Raul going along with it.

Has Cuba published a statement on this yet?  Seems like noone has asked their opinion yet on the subject, or whether they will even consider the idea...

If Russia threatens to put missiles back in Cuba, then it seems pretty important to find out if Cuba would go along with the idea dont you think? 

I would imagine the Cuban government values its friendship with Canada more than that of Russia -as Canada is a major trade partner - and Cuba is a major tourist destination for Canada and Europe (and it's got oil). I doubt they would jeopardize all this for Mr. Putin's rhetoric... It would be nice if someone asked....  Trade relations courtesy of the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456978/html/nn3page1.stm

Back