• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Put Leopards in Afghanistan stuff HERE

Since this came up I tried to find pic´s of Leo2´s with demining equipment, but with out much luck.
Self with the help of an german mil forum only this 4 pic´s showing the MCC 2000 system from MaK/Rheinmetall (3 pics) or the MIPAG from KMW (attachment) came up.
But all are pre A5:
- http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76598_Copy_of_79hv_122_564lo.jpg
- http://img172.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76608_Copy_of_leopard_061_122_1106lo.jpg
- http://img215.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=76607_Copy_of_leopard_014_122_226lo.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

Pre A5 & a surface mine plough, so it can be defeated by an enemy with a shovel. 

I kind of thought that the various pictures of the PSO showed a wimpy blade.

Maybe we will have to keep some C2's (gun tanks) running for specialty roles.  I understand that we're not buying replacements for the Biber and Badger, which means that we will keep buying parts for the Leopard 1 fleet anyway. So having a modified (no main gun?) Leopard C2 can be done. 

Heck, for that matter, we can upgrade our Leopard C2 with the 120 for commonality.

From what I know the PSO is nothing more than a mockup....and it's not a functioning one either.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
From what I know the PSO is nothing more than a mockup....and it's not a functioning one either.

Regards

As you can see in this part of an german documentation (which I posted some time ago) the PSO blade is functioning.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul1gwNppuRc

Regards,
ironduke57

As an outsider, to me the blade on the PSO video appears to similar to the spade (correct term?) used on the ARV.

My 2 cents take it for what its worth.

NFLD Sapper said:
As an outsider, to me the blade on the PSO video appears to similar to the spade (correct term?) used on the ARV.

My 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Nope.
Look's similar to the "16"dozerblade.The ARV blade look's nothing like it.

This video shows the blade pivoting as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6w-iRamyY&feature=related

ironduke57 said:
As you can see in this part of an german documentation (which I posted some time ago) the PSO blade is functioning.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul1gwNppuRc
Do you believe everything you see in video?  Does it function?  Maybe.  Does it fully function? Maybe not.

All I saw was that the PSO blade can do what I might expect of a medium sized snow clearing blade.

MCG said:
Do you believe everything you see in video?  Does it function?  Maybe.  Does it fully function? Maybe not.

All I saw was that the PSO blade can do what I might expect of a medium sized snow clearing blade.

I'll take a video over rumint from some guy off the internet! ;D

I guess the mockup works...but it is not anywhere near as robust as a tank dozer blade.

That thing (once I saw it swivel) is way too flimsy to dig, back scrape, knock down grape huts.

It would snap on the first try. Imagine what it would look like if they had to entrench a whole tanks sqn.

The current dozer blade can actually lift the front end of the tank. I highly doubt the PSO blade could do the same.

Regards

The blade on the PSO was just a modified snowblade.  The vehicle that they moved in the video, had no engine in it, because KMW was afraid that the vehicle would not move.  The Leo2 is too heavy for implements, with the mine package the vehicle is close to it's max weight however; there is a trial going on for rollers in theatre.

Maverick894 said:
The Leo2 is too heavy for implements, with the mine package the vehicle is close to it's max weight however; there is a trial going on for rollers in theatre.

I know.    ;)

Regards

Are we using the same cam net on our Leopard2's as the Danes?

See this thread for a picture. (Decent milblog)

http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/2009/04/more_canadians_1.html

Colin,
not sure if it is us using Danish nets or the Danes using german nets.... since we borrowed our current batch of 20 Leo2A6s from the Germans, it is quite possible that the nets came via that route.  Note the MG 3 up on the turret

geo said:
Colin,
not sure if it is us using Danish nets or the Danes using german nets.... since we borrowed our current batch of 20 Leo2A6s from the Germans, it is quite possible that the nets came via that route.  Note the MG 3 up on the turret

You are correct. The Danes main supplier for their military is Germany (note: Leopards in arsenal) thus, Canadians and Danes are actually using the same cam nets as the Germans.

And just some additional info: The reason why there are MG3's mounted even in our 2A6M rentals is because our pathetic differently designed weaponry does not fit the mounts on a spectacularly, perfectly designed god-king of tanks German tanks. I don't know if this is true but, I remember vaguely a friend of my dad mentioned that one point the G-Wagen also used German weaponry for the same reason, until Canada managed to adapt it to fit our machine guns.

Big Beef,
Slandering the C6 machine gun only draws attention to your ignorance and inexperience.  I would not suggest the .50 cal that was on the G Wagon is "pathetic" either.

MCG said:
Big Beef,
Slandering the C6 machine gun only draws attention to your ignorance and inexperience.  I would not suggest the .50 cal that was on the G Wagon is "pathetic" either.

Someone turned off their Sense of Humour this morning.

Although it is kinda ironic, sitting around with family members who are former service members (and one who is currently serving) and they all complain about the .50 CAL:

TDV -  featuring something about Weaponry, display of .50 CAL power appears on screen
Dad: "There's no way that it's a Canadian .50. There are clearly not enough stoppages."

Family Barbeque - Step-Uncle announced he's being deployed to Afghanistan again, topics about military stuff bounces around.

Uncle: "...and that .50 is a pain in the ass..."

Maybe they had bad luck?

What I did in my response is something called literary Humour. I said that whatever it was of ours was "pathetic" and balanced it out by giving the Germans kudos for outstanding engineering that became the Leopard tanks.

Do you really think that if I ACTUALLY thought that the C6 or Browning .50 was pathetic, that I'd still be pursuing the military career that I am? No. It was never meant to be taken seriously, that's why it's been STRIKETHROUGH'd. If I truly felt the way that you have assumed I feel, I wouldn't have posted the words that I did and kept it to myself.

Sounds like a "Head Spacing and Timing problem" to me................and I am not referring to the guns.    >:D

Depending on their years of Service, and which wpns they used, combined with their overall knowledge, experience and expertise with the wpns can have an indication of what kind of comments they may put forward.  Lack of experience and knowledge of any weapon can have an (poor) operator make comments derogatory towards that weapon. 

The M2 was a very effective weapon when properly maintained, Head Spaced, Timed and lubricated.  If not, then it could be a very dangerous piece of kit for the operator.  The .50 Cal QB was a totally different experience and offered different problems for the inexperienced.  In the end, it was the operator (experience, knowledge, etc.), not the MG, that was most often the problem.

George Wallace said:
Sounds like a "Head Spacing and Timing problem" to me................and I am not refering to the guns.    >:D

;D Most likely.

Back