• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

torunisfun said:
First Fitness Test of BMQ:
30 Pushups, 40 situps

Express Test One year later:
62 pushups, 64 situps

Now 2 years after BMQ:
90 Pushups (actually 100 but my last 10 are always lousy), and 65 Situps.

That's a pretty good Improvement, about 3 months ago I could only do about 25-30 push-ups, right now I can do about 50-60 push-ups and haven't started BMQ yet so I'm still trying to pick it up a bit before I go, but 2 years after my BMQ, my estimate/goal will be around 150 push-ups, maybe a few more then that but we'll see.

I haven't done any fitness test or anything yet. I'm planning to apply to the CF shortly. Right now, for the past year and a half or so, I've do between one and two hundred push-ups every morning, no less than one hundred though (hungover / tired / w/e), I also do about as many squats :boring: lol. I'm looking to buy a chin up bar soon as well so I can start with those. I currently do twenty five at a time and if I just did as many as I could.... ??? I could probably do about fifty or sixty for sure, more do doubt :-\. I'm kind of surprised that so many people here said they did twenty some ::)... Once I started doing pushups daily, within two weeks I could do a hell of a lot more than twenty; it doesn't take long to get results with a little motivation  :salute:

Raezer00 said:
I haven't done any fitness test or anything yet. I'm planning to apply to the CF shortly. Right now, for the past year and a half or so, I've do between one and two hundred push-ups every morning, no less than one hundred though (hungover / tired / w/e), I also do about as many squats :boring: lol. I'm looking to buy a chin up bar soon as well so I can start with those. I currently do twenty five at a time and if I just did as many as I could.... ??? I could probably do about fifty or sixty for sure, more do doubt :-\. I'm kind of surprised that so many people here said they did twenty some ::)... Once I started doing pushups daily, within two weeks I could do a hell of a lot more than twenty; it doesn't take long to get results with a little motivation  :salute:

Where do i get the antigravitron for cheap? seriously, how big are you?

turbonium said:
Where do i get the antigravitron for cheap? seriously, how big are you?

What's in the world is an antigravitron? lol

How big am I?? I'm skinny, skinny arms and everything, always have been. I'm six feet tall and one hundred sixty five pounds. Since I started doing push ups I've gotten small pecs lol. They're small but they're still pretty cool and I'm proud of them  8)... Being a skinny guy all my life I never had and pecs what so ever lol. Doing at least one hundred push ups every morning takes me all of ten minutes and makes me feel great, not to mention does wonders and is very easy. I really want to get a chin up bar though, one of those ones that fits in your doorway. Chin ups are apparently a really great exercise and I'm sure push ups are as well but doing push ups alone isn't helping much more than my chest lol

Allie'd forces said:
Can't wait to pump out 100 or more push ups for the PSP staff...well exceeding the ladies' minimum.

Just as long as the type of push ups you are doing are acceptable for the ExPres test.

I started to do the challenge and im currently at week 1 column 3, and all i got to say is wow, this works pretty good, i was doing that last set, i was at 10 and im like,i  cant do any anymore, i continued and after each push up i was like, dang i cant do anymore, i finished at 19! Im happy because i was able to do 19 altough i was tired of doing the other, so if i wasnt tired i can probably do the 19 again but more easily!

Cheers!

Why do some have to do push ups with the thumbs almost touching and others do the shoulder width apart push ups? Is it up to the person giving the test?  or does it have something to do with the area of work they are applying for?

BillyWalker said:
Why do some have to do push ups with the thumbs almost touching and others do the shoulder width apart push ups? Is it up to the person giving the test?  or does it have something to do with the area of work they are applying for?

It's whatever the recruiting staff tells you to do, as long as there push-ups it doesn't really matter.

SoldierInTheMaking said:
It's whatever the recruiting staff tells you to do, as long as there push-ups it doesn't really matter.

When it comes to the ExPres test, it matters very much what technique you use for your push-ups.  The PSP staff will not count them if they are not done properly and some are not so "forgiving" as others regarding the amount of warnings they will give you.

Directly from the CF EXPRES Operations Manual:

The following procedures will be used for push-ups:

a. Start Position. In the start position the member lies flat on his/her stomach, legs and feet together. Hands pointing forward are positioned underneath the shoulders. To establish an acceptable hand position the evaluator may stand directly over the member being tested, if the evaluator can see the entire hand(s), then the position of the hands is too wide. Conversely, if the hands are under the chest and the evaluator cannot see any portion of the hand(s) then the position is too narrow. Elbows are comfortably back along the sides.

b. Movement/Extension Phase. Using the toes as the pivotal point, the
member pushes up from the floor/mat (if using a mat use only a very thin mat or a very firm mat so as not to effect the integrity of the push-up) by straightening the arms to full extension. During this extension movement the elbows may flare out to the side as long as the hands remain in position pointing forward (it is not required that the member maintain elbows close to the sides during the movement phase, thus performing more of a triceps push-up). The body must be kept in a straight line; including the head that should not normally be cocked to look forward as such action is contraindicated. The member descends to the down position.

c. Down Position. The down position differs from the start position in that the member does not return to lying on their stomach. During the execution of their push-ups the member uses their muscular endurance to keep their body suspended off the floor/mat throughout the evaluation. The proper down position has the back of the upper arms (triceps area) parallel to the floor/mat. The chin, chest area, stomach, thighs, or knees should not touch the floor/mat in the down position. However, incidental contact of any body part should not be used as a reason to terminate the test, or not count push-ups, unless the member through such contact is gaining clear advantage. Once the member has attained the down phase they continue with the next push-up (extension phase).

NOTE: If the member requires assistance in determining the correct down position, the evaluator may hold an object (such as a ruler) in the air under the member’s shoulder at the proper height of the down position. Each time the member descends to the down position he/she should touch the object. Using the hand in these instances is not recommended.

d. Counting. Push-ups are to be performed continuously and without a time limit. Push-ups that do not conform to the described protocol will not be counted. The test shall be discontinued as soon as the member is seen to strain forcibly to complete a push-up or is unable to maintain proper push-up technique. In many cases, lack of compliance with protocol (i.e. arching back on a push-up, not going down far enough, moving hands farther apart) can be corrected verbally and simply results in push-ups that do not count. Such situations should not result in termination of the test unless it is evident that advantage is being gained. Count the initial movement up as one and then count each subsequent repetition to full extension. Record that total in section F1 of the DND 279 form. The MPFS for this protocol are available in Tool 8. Record the MPFS score in Section F1, DND 279.

Also, if you are curious about the position, here is a link from PSP Esquimalt with pictures and info for remedial push up training.

Seeing how this is the third time I've posted this, maybe it's time for a sticky?  Mods??

I am doing both the onehundredpushups and twohundredsitups concurrently. Seems to be working....arms quivering, stomach achey after done working.

Did workout 1 of week 4 this am.

Its a plan. We'll see how well it works on the next express test.

BTW- I do CF/PSP style push ups (thumbs comfortably under shoulders when body on floor, any further towards midline causes wrist strain due to excessive ulnar deviation angle)

JBoyd said:
For those wishing to bump up your sit-ups, Steve Speirs (creator of hundredpushups.com) also has twohundredsitups.com

This challenge says to do a type of "crunch" or "curl up". Is this ok to do even though for the CF they do regular sit ups?

Also about the comment on the CF standard push up over the push up challenge push up, the person mentioned that doing the regular push up (arms wider than CF standard) works more larger mucsles and the CF push up works the triceps more.
I am wondering if doing the push up challenge push up would be better to strengthen more muscles than the CF push up?
If I can do 100 of the pushups that the site shows I could probably do about 60 CF standard pushups (which is more than enough for infantry) and I would gain muscle in shoulder and chest aswell.

Just wondering which I should work on doing.

bomber12 said:
This challenge says to do a type of "crunch" or "curl up". Is this ok to do even though for the CF they do regular sit ups?

Also about the comment on the CF standard push up over the push up challenge push up, the person mentioned that doing the regular push up (arms wider than CF standard) works more larger mucsles and the CF push up works the triceps more.
I am wondering if doing the push up challenge push up would be better to strengthen more muscles than the CF push up?
If I can do 100 of the pushups that the site shows I could probably do about 60 CF standard pushups (which is more than enough for infantry) and I would gain muscle in shoulder and chest aswell.

Just wondering which I should work on doing.

Personally I am doing the challenge using the CF style pushups and situps.

In response to bomber~

If you want to train more muscles with push ups, you could try this. His explanations of the routine at the end.

As for the sit ups,  anymore than ~30 degrees and you start using your hips muscles.
From wikipedia (which isn't always a truly reliable source of knowledge mind you):
This diversion of effort from the abdominals reduces the effectiveness of training for purposes of abdominal isolation and makes the sit-up a test of combined spinal and hip flexion rather than spinal flexion alone.

The source of this statement is a paper on the validity of the Army sit ups as a test of abdominal strenght:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3912/is_200211/ai_n9165660/pg_2

I guess training the hips too isn't bad, but if you want to improve your abdominal muscles, it says it's more effective to keep low instead of going all the way up and switching the effort to the hips.

~~~
After reading page 4 of the paper, I'd like to post the conclusion here:
The data obtained by the researchers as a whole indicated that high scores on the sit-up portion of the APFT did not necessarily correspond with abdominal endurance.

An alternative method of assessing abdominal endurance is the curl-up or crunch. If done properly, crunches mainly use abdominal musculature because no active hip flexion is required to partially curl the trunk. Because sit-ups are a required portion of the APFT, members of the army need to perform this exercise frequently to prepare for the test. Recently the Army Times, a weekly newspaper, contained an article regarding the use of the sit-up in the APFT. According to Dr. Robert A. Arciero, an orthopedic surgeon who is a retired army colonel with 24 years of service, "Almost every military orthopedic surgeon will tell you they've had many troops complain of back and diskrelated complaints, like numbness and tingling in the leg, when they do sit-ups." Other branches of the military have already switched from the sit-up to the curl or crunch. The reason the army still uses the sit-up is tradition, ease of administration and scoring, and no need of special equipment. The army also stated that there is currently insufficient research to correlate sit-ups with low back problems or that it is not a valid assessment of abdominal endurance.8 The researchers wanted to demonstrate that the sit-up is not a valid assessment of abdominal endurance. The findings of this study support that the sit-up portion of the APFT does not accurately measure abdominal endurance. Some of the researchers' suggestions for further research include the following. They suggest a correlation between scores on the sit-up test with incidence of low back problems. They also suggest a correlation between scores and levels of electrical activity of hip flexors and abdominals. They further suggest a correlation between scores and hip flexor tightness. Finally, the army should investigate the validity of alternate measures of abdominal strength.

bomber12 said:

Take it from someone who has BTDT for 20+ yrs, and has a wee bit of medical knowledge. Just do the curl ups for this program.

CF sit ups are not a good abdominal workout. The curl ups as described are much better for a workout.

Full speed CF style sit ups put strain on your back (bad if you have any lower back injury) and stimulate input from your hip flexors and quadriceps muscles. Not just your abdominals.

If you are trying out to do more than get exempt on an Express test (i.e. JTF selection) then do full sit ups without your feet held under something. Those are the next best thing, but still may cause aggravation to lumbar spine. If you can 50 proper sit ups without your feet held...you're golden for an Express test.

I have  question , should i just do those 5 sets or do some extra sets? Like let say day 1 i do all the 5 sets, then in the same day i do some triceps workout with dumbbell and maybe 3 more sets of push up, is this good or bad?

Cheers.

Dante43 said:
I have  question , should i just do those 5 sets or do some extra sets? Like let say day 1 i do all the 5 sets, then in the same day i do some triceps workout with dumbbell and maybe 3 more sets of push up, is this good or bad?

Cheers.

I personally do the 100 push up routine twice a day 5 days a week and rest on Saturday+Sunday. I have been doing it for about 2 weeks now and I feel fine plus a big improvement.

Dante43 said:
So you only do the 100 pushup challenge? and no extra training?

Oh hell ya I do more than just push ups. I run, go to the gym, do a lot of hiking, etc....
I was just referring to the push ups.

I am also doing the 200 sit ups challenge

No i meant, you dont do any extra training on your triceps. Well since you go to gym, i guess that answer my question. :p

Back