• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

PMedMoe said:
but if we did push ups, it was usually at intervals during the run.  E.g.  Run 2 km, do 20 push ups, run 2 km, do 20 sit ups, etc.

Still the same idea... When people can't keep up with the run anymore the instructors give the lungs a break by doing pushups until people can't keep up with pushups anymore, then it's the lungs turn again :nod:

Honestly, it wouldn't matter if you could do 100 pushups, they will bring everybody to the point that you can't do anymore of x or anymore of y, and it's what you do then that matters to them.

Editted to fix my msn speak

To those of you above my post - who were talking about the 2009 BMQ, how did it go? Did you pass?

I can do 3 sets of 75 pushups in a row within about 10 minutes, so 225 pushups in 10 minutes.

I love doing bodyweight exercises, comes from years of brutal martial arts workouts. I know my calisthenics will pass the test if I get a chance to display them, but my lack of grade 10 physics is looking like a stumbling block for my chosen trade :eek:

Hey guys!
Private here!!! I graduated March 11th.
Just wanted to come say hi for everyone esp. people that had a hard time with push-ups

At my PTexpress I did only 8. On my second PT EXPRESS I did 19!!!
And at the end of my basic training I could do 45  ;)
And I'm a girl! So no one has no reason! Trust me, you use your arms so much during BMQ and your strength you just get stronger!!

Good luck my friends.  :salute:

This page is totally bookedmarked for me.
I'm a guy 21 and skinny with like NO upper body strength at all... I can do 20 pushups like with my arms far out not the standard ones. And when my recruiter told me that it was the standard pushups with your hands just under your shoulders I tried it that night he told me and I could only do 7... So ever since I've been working every morning and every night on my pushups and I've managed to do 13 now and that was like 5 days ago. I'll let you know how everything goes when it gets to my physical test cause I just recently applied. One more thing, I cannot stress enough for the rest of you. Don't just concentrate on push-ups a lot of people forget about the things below your waist. I suggest giving your lets a workout also.
Goodluck to everyone and thanks to 2010newbie for pointing out this thread to me. I couldn't find a thread like this for the life of me.

Steve

I don't know if it is forces wide (Navy is kind of exempt since they do Express test yearly) but the rest, after you get your test done, seem to ignore upper body strength because we do BFTs.  I seriously think that the PT test should be re-evaluated and changed for ALL to include somekind of strength test, strength endurance test, and cardio.

Also i'm sure some will agree with me, the push-ups i've seen be counted by PSP, at times have GREATLY amazed me because they were so horrible.  Generally speaking the mbr keeps doing them badly even in unit PT. I'm sure we've all seen the head-bob push-ups, or hip thrust push-ups, or the half reps.

The PSP staff have a standard in which they are supposed to follow for counting push-ups.  Some of the staff are more strict on it than others.  The push-ups that they counted for me at the beginning of DP1 were horrible, and I wouldn't have even counted them (came down with something on the flight between St. Jean and Edmonton, which wiped out any energy I had).  The staff that were counting the pushups at the end of BMQ were very strict on form.  So it just depends on who you get.

As a PSP Staff, I would have to say the worst component of fitness to evaluate is the Push-ups.  There is so much room for interpretation when it comes to proper technique.  Furthermore, those being tested really have no appropriate view of the push up while it is being conducted to accurately determine if they are performing correctly.  This can lead to a 'my word vs your word' situation if the result is unfavourable.  The best advice I can give CF mbrs is go do as low as possible.  The means go so low that your chest and/or stomach just graze the ground (Does Not rest there). It is call incidental contact and is acceptable, given that your body is nice and straight like a plank.

Also, become very familiar with the testing protocol, so you can practice all components exactly like they are to be tested. Training is highly specific.

NEVER EVER come to an EXPRES test without practicing the protocols ahead of time, especially if you are uncertain of you fitness.

See below link for the latest version of the EXPRES Ops Manual (28 May 2010)
http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/2010/09/canadian-forces-expres-operations.html

Dayclone said:
This page is totally bookedmarked for me.
I'm a guy 21 and skinny with like NO upper body strength at all... I can do 20 pushups like with my arms far out not the standard ones. And when my recruiter told me that it was the standard pushups with your hands just under your shoulders I tried it that night he told me and I could only do 7... So ever since I've been working every morning and every night on my pushups and I've managed to do 13 now and that was like 5 days ago. I'll let you know how everything goes when it gets to my physical test cause I just recently applied. One more thing, I cannot stress enough for the rest of you. Don't just concentrate on push-ups a lot of people forget about the things below your waist. I suggest giving your lets a workout also.
Goodluck to everyone and thanks to 2010newbie for pointing out this thread to me. I couldn't find a thread like this for the life of me.

Steve

Work at it!

Bench press and do Pec fly's.

Pec flys build strength, strength and endurance will help you complete pushups faster and more efficient. You'll notice strength increases quite quickly if you work at it every 2-3 days. Never every day. As a 15 year old i could only do about 20-30, so i began to work at it and now i can do about (at 16) 50 in proper form without failure. And trust me its not hard to get to.
Tell us how it goes :)!

Mike

Chilme said:
The means go so low that your chest and/or stomach just graze the ground (Does Not rest there). It is call incidental contact and is acceptable, given that your body is nice and straight like a plank.

The push up protocol has been posted here several times.  Any place I have ever done the ExPres Test (Petwawa, Kingston, Ottawa) they only require that your upper arms be at approximately a 90 degree angle, not that you almost touch the ground.

PMedMoe said:
The push up protocol has been posted here several times.  Any place I have ever done the ExPres Test (Petwawa, Kingston, Ottawa) they only require that your upper arms be at approximately a 90 degree angle, not that you almost touch the ground.

PMedMoe,

It is true that you are not required to almost touch the ground.  I know from experience, however, while doing the test and conducting push-ups it is very hard for an individual to know where the angle is.  Some mbrs can't afford to waste reps trying to find the proper range.  My advice was some insurance for those who need every push-up to count.

If you want to make sure you have zero issues when your testing time comes - just train really hard at them.  Put your nose and entire chest right to the ground during every practice pushup and you won't ever have to worry about redoing one!  If you can't go anymore - switch to girl pushups and once that's maxed out just use your arms and do mini girl pushups. It may sound sissy like to do those easy pushups but that's how you push your muscles to their limits. Personally, I'm in university now so what I do is open up my history textbook and every two pages read I get into pushup position until I can't go anymore using the above training methods. And I repeat sets of this for at least an hour, maybe two as you progress. Go until your arms are so sore that you have to use your elbows to roll yourself over to get back up. It kills but it works.

You'll find if you max out your muscles every second day doing pushups that every time you hit the floor you'll be able to do at least one or two more after every rest period (until a certain point)  Pushups are hard work, especially if you have week triceps, I'd recommend swimming to build triceps. Swimming is also great for working on your shoulders which really helps pushups.  The pulling motions of every stroke really works the triceps. I'm sure what you found was that your wrist or arms were giving out on you before your chest does.  (That was my situation)
The angle you're supposed to use is the one that works every muscle in your upper body the most and by practicing push-up sets till you can't do anouther every second day will soon allow you to discover where that spot is.

P.s. I was sorta at the same spot a year ago. Could run like a madman, super leg strength but getting 15 pushups out of me was murder, lol.

My personal advice would be to make it so that even if you screw up on your first 20, you can do anouther 20 easy. My recruiter let me keep going and didn't say stop after 19. Some apparently tell you, good 19 and try to stop you. Just say you have more in you and leave an impression.

I looked at it this way, you have to do 50 in the US just to get in, so I better be able to match those punks :p

Just saying work your ass off at pushups on your own and you won't have to worry about chance and getting a more forgiving instructor.  Good luck man - it's worth it.

I don't want to start a new thread so I decided I would ask my question here,

I just recently found out of a current medical problem in my elbows, my doctor told me that while doing pushups i should NOT go all the way down but stop at 90 degree's. I can still go all the way down but my elbows click in and out of place causing little to no pain it simply can effect me "later in life". I would just like to know how I should commence with this? During my CFAT should i tell the tester?

Thank you,

Mike

There is nothing the tester can do to accommodate you for the push ups.  They are trained not to change protocols for any reason.  the only solution would be to speak to the MO and get a medical chit for the issue.  It is possible to be medically exempt from a component for a given fiscal year.

canada94 said:
I don't want to start a new thread so I decided I would ask my question here,

I just recently found out of a current medical problem in my elbows, my doctor told me that while doing pushups i should NOT go all the way down but stop at 90 degree's. I can still go all the way down but my elbows click in and out of place causing little to no pain it simply can effect me "later in life". I would just like to know how I should commence with this? During my CFAT should i tell the tester?

Thank you,

Mike

See a sports doctor.

If anyone has ever been in the same boat, in your experience were negative push-ups alright while experiencing an over-use injury in the shoulder?  (It isn't painful in any way while doing them)

I don't want to lose strength on one side--I'm not sure how long it will take to heal. I'm just looking for ideas as to a specific exercise I can keep doing that will maintain strength as much as possible while it's healing. It's really more of a nuisance than anything else, but I don't want to aggravate it more.

Talk to your physiotherapist and/or PSP person at your local Fitness center. 

Pandora114 said:
Talk to your physiotherapist and/or PSP person at your local Fitness center. 

Unfortunately I haven't been prescribed physio. My case isnt severe enough, I suppose. I still have a full range of motion, nothing is impeding my lifestyle per se.  It really only bothers me when I apply direct pressure to the joint--a fair amount of pressure. If it starts to hurt, I stop whatever it is that I'm doing.  I'm just concerned about not being able to maintain my current workout to the same degree I was before and what can be done, if anything, to maintain the same level of strength in that area.

It doesn't seem to be a full-blown case of bursitis/tendinitis or anything that severe, but the symptoms I am experiencing lean towards a mild overuse injury. It's definitely not a sprain.

I'll try my gym...thanks!

If you are feeling pain in your shoulder doing push ups I can almost guarantee you are doing something wrong.  Either letting your elbows flare to the side, not properly setting the joint before moving, not creating enough torque via external rotation of the humerous.  I have a torn bicep tendon and torn labrum, and push ups done correctly don't bother me.  Get yourself to mobilitywod.com and search for video's on pushups and watch them.  Kelley is very good at explaining what you need to, and what things you can do to fix yourself.

Back