• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Push ups

Renwick

Inactive
Reaction score
I leave for CFLRS in 30 days... i have been training and am confident with my fitness level so far with the exception of push ups.  Due to a shoulder surgery i had three years ago i am limited when it comes to push ups.  i have tried and tried to get better results but am having very little luck... does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Your best bet is to remember if it hurts, don't do it. The mantra no pain no gain is not the way to go. Continue to do as many pushups as you can while adhering to correct form and stopping when it becomes painful. In the same workout do exercises like lateral and front raises and shoulder press with light weights to strengthen the shoulder. Also remember that good core strength plays a big part in pushup ability. And be sure to always warmup and stretch thoroughly.

Not sure how you hurt your shoulder, but it might be a good idea to start doing negatives anyway.

Once you're to the point that you can't do anymore pushups, start in the "up" position and lower yourself down as slowly as possible. Reset in the "up" position, and lower yourself down.

Even if you hadn't hurt your shoulder, this is a great way to end any kind of bodyweight exercise if your goal is do be able to do extra reps the next day. But if you damaged tendons and/or ligaments, eccentric contractions (negatives) would most likely have been what a physiotherapist would have had you doing anyway.

Renwick said:
I leave for CFLRS in 30 days... i have been training and am confident with my fitness level so far with the exception of push ups.  Due to a shoulder surgery i had three years ago i am limited when it comes to push ups.  i have tried and tried to get better results but am having very little luck... does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
I'm not sure how much you hope to accomplish in 30 days. You have to be more specific as to what you actually injured, if it was your rotator cuff start doing internal/external rotations. Have you ever contacted a sport specific physician/personal trainer/doctor about this problem? This is something you should have been concerned about a long time ago.

Thanks for the response.  i was in a car accident and injured my shoulder.  I had a Pec Major transfer and it has successfully fixed my dislocation issue however has left me limited.  overall strength isnt necessarily the issue it's just that particular movement..... im concerned that it's going to be big problem when im there.  Can i get booted for not being able to do a lot of push ups?  I max out at about 8.

Romanmaz said:
I'm not sure how much you hope to accomplish in 30 days. You have to be more specific as to what you actually injured, if it was your rotator cuff start doing internal/external rotations. Have you ever contacted a sport specific physician/personal trainer/doctor about this problem? This is something you should have been concerned about a long time ago.

I have spoken to my surgeon and my trainer...they both said that same thing.... strength training and conditioning and you will get there.  I have been working at this for quite some time and just not seeing the results i would like.. was just fishing for some suggestions that i may not have thought of.

Renwick said:
Thanks for the response.  i was in a car accident and injured my shoulder.  I had a Pec Major transfer and it has successfully fixed my dislocation issue however has left me limited.  overall strength isnt necessarily the issue it's just that particular movement..... im concerned that it's going to be big problem when im there. Can i get booted for not being able to do a lot of push ups?  I max out at about 8.
Yes. You have to look at it from their perspective, as "unfair" as it may seem to you, why would they make an exception for you (they won't, so don't even get that idea into your head) when there are thousands of other applicants that are able to meet the requirements.
Good luck though, hopefully it works out!

Romanmaz said:
Yes. You have to look at it from their perspective, as "unfair" as it may seem to you, why would they make an exception for you (they won't, so don't even get that idea into your head) when there are thousands of other applicants that are able to meet the requirements.
Good luck though, hopefully it works out!

Thanks Roman,  Not looking to have exceptions made.  Just looking for ideas to get past this bump in the road.  Alternative ideas are always welcome.

Just out of curiosity, while undergoing the medical portion of your application did you inform the staff of the surgery, what your surgeon/trainer told you, and your physical limitation since the surgery?

If so, what did they tell you?

If not, and you are unable to meet the physical standards due to a medical limitation that you did not identify, you very much can be "booted".

Beadwindow 7 said:
Just out of curiosity, while undergoing the medical portion of your application did you inform the staff of the surgery, what your surgeon/trainer told you, and your physical limitation since the surgery?

If so, what did they tell you?

If not, and you are unable to meet the physical standards due to a medical limitation that you did not identify, you very much can be "booted".

My surgeon examined me and signed off on the paperwork provided by the CFRC.  He told me to keep at it, strength train and it would be fine.

Renwick said:
Thanks for the response.  i was in a car accident and injured my shoulder.  I had a Pec Major transfer and it has successfully fixed my dislocation issue however has left me limited.  overall strength isnt necessarily the issue it's just that particular movement..... im concerned that it's going to be big problem when im there.  Can i get booted for not being able to do a lot of push ups?  I max out at about 8.

From the BMQ Physical Fitness Guide on the Forces site, if you meet the minimum threshold of 4 push-ups on the Expres test, but don't completely pass it, you will be sent to the Warrior Preparation Company for additional PT and the chance to pass the test after 30, 60 and 90 days. If you don't pass after 90 days, you will be released from the CF.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I am still going to work hard to exceed the minimum of course and i do feel a lot better having more info..  Appreciate it.

a.schamb said:
From the BMQ Physical Fitness Guide on the Forces site, if you meet the minimum threshold of 4 push-ups on the Expres test, but don't completely pass it, you will be sent to the Warrior Preparation Company for additional PT and the chance to pass the test after 30, 60 and 90 days. If you don't pass after 90 days, you will be released from the CF.

Since the OP is attending RMC and not BMQ,

Renwick said:
Hi there,

I have been accepted to RMC and am attending this fall.  I have been told that i am to go to St Jean for two weeks prior to getting to RMC.

the fitness requirements may be a bit more stringent:

RMCC Physical Performance Test

CFPSA - Fitness Tasks

I will get there come hell or high water.  I honestly feel like a wimp at the moment because i cant do the required 14 push ups yet in order to pass.  Just going to keep on doing them.  It has to get better.
Thanks for the link Moe.

Renwick said:
I am 29 and 3 years Post op.

Just wondering, as older folks don't heal as fast and also was wondering if this was reallly recent, but it's not...sounds like you've got to knuckle down and do the conditioning exercises and do the pushups.

MM

Weight training will do wonders for you.  A lot of people in the military shun weight training but if you get yourself on a weight training regimen you will see massive gains in areas such as pushups, chin ups, pullups etc...

medicineman said:
Just wondering, as older folks don't heal as fast and also was wondering if this was reallly recent, but it's not...sounds like you've got to knuckle down and do the conditioning exercises and do the pushups.

MM

LOL.  Does that mean that im an "older folk"?

Not yet -you have a few years til you body stops forgiving you for what you to to it  ;).

MM

Back