• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Punching Bags

benl

Inactive
Reaction score
I searched the forum and didn't come up with any hits so I figured I just outright ask.
I am starting BMQ in Gagetown may 7th and am trimming my possessions to the bare minimum for packing purposes.  I was just Wondering if there's a heavy bag in the gym there, or should I leave the gloves at home.
Also I'll be PPCLI (Edmonton) once done at Gage, do they have one there???
thanks

Last time I was in Gagetown there was a bag in the gym (2005).  Go into the main weight room, all the way to the end and there's a small room there with a heavy bag and a speed bag I think.

Edit on further thinking-  On basic you probably wont be in the gym much on your own unless you're recoursed.

Do you get any time for personal PT during basic?  Cause if not I guess there's no sense in me bringing my gloves or swim fins.

luckystrike said:
Do you get any time for personal PT during basic?  Cause if not I guess there's no sense in me bringing my gloves or swim fins.

No you probably won't get any personal PT time, you days will be full of lectures and foot/rifle drill and other things.

I'd recommend bringing the gloves.  Basic is stressful.  Boxing releases stress (at least for me).  You'll have some time on weekends for other things.  It's always preferable to hit a punching bag instead of a course-mate.

You'll have the weekends off after the end of week 4 if you earn them.  Some you will, some you won't.  Don't bring too much stuff, there isn't much room for it and you have to lock it up in a room that other recruits in your platoon will have access to.

The gym in Edmonton has 2 heavy bags and 2 speed bags, so you'll probably want to bring your equipment.

NFLD SAPPER:  Depending on your course and staff you may very well have time to do personal PT, a general statement like that doesnt cover everyone/.

I made an effort to try and make it to the gym when i could, I was tired of getting way out of shape on courses so was more proactive when i went to st jean.  But not all staff will let you hit the gym even if you have free time, there are still staff that think you should be held captive in your room. My platoon was very lucky we asked if we could go to the gym and they said yes and encouraged it. Of course if your inspections start to slip well....

If your driving bring everything and the kitchen sink and leave it in the car. Then as the days and weeks go by you get a feeling for what you can and cant do and you go get what you want. I wasnt sure if i would be allowed to have a portable dvd player and ipod and all those kinda things so thats what i did.

Back