• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public service employment has grown by 31 per cent

Not really posted anywhere but PSAC has the strike mandate it was looking for. I guess we’ll see if a strike actually happens or not.

I was told by a PSAC member that, before they could even access the online voting, they had to watch a video from the union President. I’m that video covered both sides of the issue…

I’ll bet PSAC got their “overwhelming strike mandate”…

If your bargaining and don’t get a strike mandate your union has a seriously weak bargaining position. Most unions have a strike mandate vote followed by a actual strike vote before a real strike happens.

It will be strategic striking, workers who impact the government revenue or work stream the most at "choke points" while keeping the rest at work, but unable to work because of those choke points.

I was told by a PSAC member that, before they could even access the online voting, they had to watch a video from the union President. I’m that video covered both sides of the issue…

I’ll bet PSAC got their “overwhelming strike mandate”…
It was a virtual presentation. Then you got a link and pin to vote. Lots of people including myself had problems accessing any of that…

I’m not sure what overwhelming either means as they haven’t resleased the actual results.

It was a virtual presentation. Then you got a link and pin to vote. Lots of people including myself had problems accessing any of that…

I’m not sure what overwhelming either means as they haven’t resleased the actual results.
It seems to be a generally a bit of a confusing mess; none of our civi employees have any concrete information on what is going on either, and the info coming out is quite confusing.

It seems to be a generally a bit of a confusing mess; none of our civi employees have any concrete information on what is going on either, and the info coming out is quite confusing.
Emails are going out about strike pay right now. 75$ a day plus whatever your local tops you up with. In my case it would be 150$ total. They said if we do strike you can arrange for direct deposit via the website or get paid on location when you show up to strike.

For months I’ve been getting emails and texts to update my info. Which I have. And I still get texts saying they don’t have my email despite me getting emails. It’s a bit of a dog’s breakfast.

@Remius thanks, that's good news I guess. Feel bad for the folks I work with, they keep getting conflicting direction, and what we're getting from the strike training is different again.

Still not really clear how that will work with Phoenix, as any payout/clawback will just be a mess. Hopefully it all gets sorted in negotiations and we don't find out, but given that no one seems to have gotten the essential worker designation on our end, may just resort to day drinking to cope with things grinding to a halt, as everything we do is safety related and we already have more work than capacity.

General enthusiasm for an actual strike seems pretty low, so hopefully this doesn't go beyond 'barganining position' as I think a lot of people will cross the picket line (especially virtually from home).

@Remius thanks, that's good news I guess. Feel bad for the folks I work with, they keep getting conflicting direction, and what we're getting from the strike training is different again.
Not sure if that’s good or bad. It wasn’t until one of my reports did some digging that we found out we get a top up for our local. Not sure if all locals are the same.
Still not really clear how that will work with Phoenix, as any payout/clawback will just be a mess. Hopefully it all gets sorted in negotiations and we don't find out, but given that no one seems to have gotten the essential worker designation on our end, may just resort to day drinking to cope with things grinding to a halt, as everything we do is safety related and we already have more work than capacity.
Management should have decided who was essential and provide a letter or official email I think. I know some have already been identified. Strike pay won’t be managed by Phoenix though. Strikers will have to go on LWOP. How that will work ie do employees submit that or management will is up in the air at my end.
General enthusiasm for an actual strike seems pretty low, so hopefully this doesn't go beyond 'barganining position' as I think a lot of people will cross the picket line (especially virtually from home).
I hear that. Pretty sure most of my team will be working.

Management should have decided who was essential and provide a letter or official email I think. I know some have already been identified. Strike pay won’t be managed by Phoenix though. Strikers will have to go on LWOP. How that will work ie do employees submit that or management will is up in the air at my end.
For sure, we're still waiting to hear who was actually designated. Apparently it was only at the section heads and not LCMMs, without even the tier 3 to call people back into our shop for emergency support, which is fun when we are 1 deep. It's weird, because the section heads are the easiest positions to fill with military people covering off critical work, where we won't have the specialized knowledge for the LCMM jobs.

Looks like négociations have moved into the weekend which is a good sign a deal is near. A press conference is set for Monday at 9am.

Not sure if that’s good or bad. It wasn’t until one of my reports did some digging that we found out we get a top up for our local. Not sure if all locals are the same.

Changes to your pay status is where Phoenix would break. Hence the reason TC stopped issuing Acting pay as when the acting term was over your pay would stop and it would take 6 months to restart if your lucky and likley not at the right rate. A spreadsheet was kept of who was owed what. Not sure if that has been fixed?

Changes to your pay status is where Phoenix would break. Hence the reason TC stopped issuing Acting pay as when the acting term was over your pay would stop and it would take 6 months to restart if your lucky and likley not at the right rate. A spreadsheet was kept of who was owed what. Not sure if that has been fixed?
My understanding is that had been stabilized. I’ve been on lwop for a few military things and acting. Never had an issue. Now at this large scale maybe.

Back