• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Wesley Oscar Alguire, SD&G Highlanders

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
From a member of our regimental association:

“While at the s ́hertogenbosch Tattoo in Holland, 2005, Bucky, Chris Chiarot and I visited the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery. We came across this letter (along with a lock of hair), that had been left by a family member of this little girl on the grave of Pte. Wesley Oscar Alguire, SD&G Highlanders, killed on Feb. 24, 1945.

August 16, 2004

Dear Wesley Alguire,
I am 7 years old. You may wonder who I am. I am Tommy Moore’s daughter, Wesley Moore’s grand-daughter, Yvonne Alquire Moore Willard’s great grand-daughter and your great great grand-daughter. There is something I want to tell you.

Dear Poppy,

As you can see from this lock of hair, its fire red just like yours. I’m told I have your adventure spirit. I want you to know we have your medal and picture. I’ve never been to Holland Poppy, but I hear it is very beautiful. I would like to visit you some day. I live about 10 miles from your childhood home, the village of Mille Roches, Canada. Thank you great great grandpa. You gave your life so the world would be free. Poppy… I am free.
Thank you
Andrea Shannon Marie”

Attachments

• Holland.jpg
    Holland.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 233
A moving sentiment.

While the common perception is that the fallen were young men who had gave their last full measure far too young, Pte Alguire was 39 years old when he died, but still too young.
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/2662518

2662518_1.jpg

Back