• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PSAC Strike Actions and Some Reactions- Merged Thread

yea the strike was really a pain in the arse..my bus was ove an hour late for school and the construction on the main raod into borden wasnt helping at all.. and a little warning to anyone coming to borden that the strike MAYBE again on tuesday its not for sure yet but just a heads up.

MY two cents /bits is that if you dont want to work get out of my way . im  not anti union but if i  want to work why should someone who doenst because he / she feels they need more money / benifits to work why am i being held up .

I'm going to play Devils Advocate. >:D

Is this not why we joined the Forces too protect these rights to improve ones life as our for fathers did before us.
Should the average worker just roll over and let big Government and the Multi Nationals put every one back to the age of the Industrial Revolution of slavery and slave wages while they get richer and more powerful?

Over the last 5 yrs our M.P.'s have recieved nearly a 38% pay increase yet are offering the Union only 2.5% a year,so what should be done then?

Kings Town Jimmy said:
That's the one we're waiting for. Hopefully we get it shortly after the strike is over.

I was in Borden yesterday for the first time in 8 years! There was a lot of changes and I can't beleive how much the town of Alliston has grown!

My uncle is a contractor doing plumping in bordon and he's on strike. 

You were in alliston?!  DUDE I WAS BORN THERE!  I havn't been there since '97, god damn do I miss it.

Spr.Earl said:
I'm going to play Devils Advocate. >:D

Is this not why we joined the Forces too protect these rights to improve ones life as our for fathers did before us.
Should the average worker just roll over and let big Government and the Multi Nationals put every one back to the age of the Industrial Revolution of slavery and slave wages while they get richer and more powerful?

Over the last 5 yrs our M.P.'s have recieved nearly a 38% pay increase yet are offering the Union only 2.5% a year,so what should be done then?

I'm still waiting for a retort pro or con.

Should we be protecting Unions that, in turn, protect the incompetent, the lazy, the ones that use government jobs as welfare?

My goodness, big mean government?  Treading all over the downtrodden?  Gimme a break!  Nobody is forced to work for the government.  But all government employees are forced to belong to a union, and pay union dues, whether they want to or not.  Then they have to go on strike, whether they want to or not. 

Thankfully, as a contractor, I do not have to put up with the union nonsense.  But I have to put up with their B/S.

"... civilian staff at military bases in Western Canada walked out ... "?

PSAC workers hit picket line

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/10/11/665270-cp.html

OTTAWA (CP) - Tens of thousands of civil servants were on strike across the country Tuesday as bleary eyed negotiators for the federal government and union continued their marathon talks.

Nearly 125,000 Public Service Alliance of Canada members started strike action as the midnight deadline passed, the union said early Tuesday. PSAC president Nycole Turmel said the union had set a deadline "either to reach settlements or to strike." While talks continued overnight, 100,000 general workers and 25,000 members with the Canada Revenue Agency "are taking strike action," she said in a release.

However, just before the deadline there was a tentative deal reached with 5,000 employees of Parks Canada.

There were pockets of strike action across the country early Tuesday. Government centres in Atlantic Canada and Ontario were hit and civilian staff at military bases in Western Canada walked out, said another union spokeswoman who would not be named.

Other government services that could be hit by strike action include:

-applications for EI, Old Age Security, Canada Pension and veterans pensions.

-weather gathering data and reports.

-payments from Revenue Canada.

-Security clearances and record searches from the RCMP, parole board hearings.

Turmel had been hopeful on Sunday that a deal could be reached.

"I am still optimistic that we will get a settlement, but I believe that government has to show more willingness to settle this," Turmel had said.

The talks are complex because they encompass bargaining with six different PSAC groups covering 26 occupational groups.

Talks between the Treasury Board, which represents the government, and PSAC have been going on around the clock since last Thursday.

The major obstacle to a settlement is salaries.

The government had offered a six-per-cent raise over three years, but the union wanted a nine-per-cent increase, which had been recommended by the conciliation board.

Rotating strikes by government workers have been hitting Canadians throughout the summer.

Parks Canada workers first hit the picket lines in the summer. Rotating strikes hampered campers at national parks and boaters were temporarily stranded as canal lock operators walked off the job.

More than 25,000 Canada Revenue Agency workers have also been on rotating strikes, closing tax centres across the country.

The other groups at the negotiating table include program and administrative service workers, operational service workers, technical service workers, and educational and library science employees.

There are 80,000 program and administrative staff. They include customs officials, immigration officers, parole officers, Employment Insurance and Canada Pension representatives. Some of the people in these services are designated and their jobs would continue whether there would be a strike or not.

The 10,000 operational service employees are labourers, trades people, search and rescue workers, firefighters, and coast guard workers, among others.

There are another 10,000 technical service workers, whose jobs include working in government labs and inspectors.

The educational and library science employees are not on a strike path. They were headed to arbitration, but negotiators decided to bring them to the table at these discussions to see if they could work out a new deal.

The union says there is a 20-per-cent wage gap between 11,000 electricians, cleaners and heating plant operators and people in similar positions in the private sector.

The last major PSAC strike hit in 1991, when 100,000 striking clerical workers and secretaries paralysed the public sector.

Union members were legislated back by the Mulroney government with a three-per-cent raise over three years. The Chretien government then controlled all PSAC wage increases for the next six years.

My two civilian employees are on strike today.  They are not picketing here at the gates - they were off to Revenue Canada I think.  They are Table 1. 

Are there many civilian employees in Army units?  It has been awhile since I last served in a true Army unit but it seems to me that there were few civilians around.

Anybody have any thoughts about civilian employees?  Strikes?  ???

I say good for them and good luck to them!

The wage disparity really is out of line between public and private sectors..

And the government really has done nothing to address this since legislating them back to work in '91.

Hopefully it is a quick end to the strike, as my wife isn't a big fan of waking up at 4:30 am (she's management) for picket line monitoring...

I agree that there needs to be a reconciliation here.  The last collective agreement was two years ago I believe.  That is unsat.  I guess what I was going for is:  are strikes productive for unions these days?

I keep thinking (dangerous) that any deal the union receives will be negated by what the individual members have lost in salaries during the strike.  The cynic in me wonders if the govt isn't just encouraging the strike and will settle for an already decided upon amount, when the amount saved in salaries = the cost of the new agreement.

What is in it for my single-income employee with a mortgage, bills, etc?  Life is expensive.  I hope she doesn't win the battle but lose the war. (I had to get an army analogy in there!) 

There can be quite a few civies working on a base.  Everything from cleaners to working in the ammo depot.

You will probably find that the amount of Civilians on a Military Base will number about one fifth of the Base's population.   There are a large number of Administrative jobs in Base Headquarters, Base CE, Base Supply, Base Transport, PSP, Base Maintainance, Base Heating Plants, Base Fire Halls and in other locations such as Learning Centers, Newspapers, Language Schools and Social Services.

GW

Canada has to be the only country that would allow a civilian org to block access to military Bases.  I think that it is degrading to the military, being held hostage by a bunch of people that rely on the military for their salary.

I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be some way to stop them from blocking the Base, and causing such traffic mahem that schools and businesses are affected.  The soldiers on the Base can't help them, for the life of me I have no idea why they aren't picketing federal MP offices and such.

Lance Wiebe said:
Canada has to be the only country that would allow a civilian org to block access to military Bases....

I can't speak for all the bases but I know in Kingston they cannot stop military pers, so they are only stopping people out of uniform.   As for those dressed in civvies they have been asking them for ID.   Interesting idea, but I have a problem being ID'd by anyone but an MP or commissionaire.   Correct me if I'm wrong but an item that shows your name and S/N together is a protected item and I believe a civi has no right to try and identify you as a military member.   In most other countries that wouldn't fly.

...and people think we should send these folks on Operational deployments?

They aren't allowed to block access but they can make your advance through the gate as slow as molasses.  That's what they did during the '91 strike.  They would walk back and forth in front of every 2-3 vehicle very slowly.  They were allowed to do this but not to stand in front of the gate.  Same difference to me, still made us over 1/2 hour late for work most days.  One thing though, our platoon WO's were very good about it and we didn't have any problems if we happened to be late.  We all tried to leave home early but it didn't work most of the time.

brin11 said:
They aren't allowed to block access but they can make your advance through the gate as slow as molasses.   That's what they did during the '91 strike.   They would walk back and forth in front of every 2-3 vehicle very slowly.   They were allowed to do this but not to stand in front of the gate.   Same difference to me, still made us over 1/2 hour late for work most days.   One thing though, our platoon WO's were very good about it and we didn't have any problems if we happened to be late.   We all tried to leave home early but it didn't work most of the time.

a little side note...the strike is going to be all week everyday from what ive herd...anyways ya here in borden they walk for 15mins on the road and than 5mins to let the cars pass by...my bus always arrives there when they close it up and im getting quite pissed  because i barly have enough time to get off my bus and into my class

This is an irritating time for everyone, but (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) our pay rates are based off the public service. This ongoing strike is the reason why we have not recieved our readjusted pay rates this April, as we have no rate to adjust them to yet.

Indirectly, they're out there for us as well. It's annoying, but it will benefit us in the end.

I believe your right.  Either way when they get an increase so do we.  Of course the PMQ rates just happen to go up as well.

Give the reserves some clas B contracts to fill in while their striking.

Back