• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Progressing to the CF

ouyin2000

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to start this thread for all those cadets who have been accepted to the Canadian Forces.

I myself just got my phone call, and job offer as a MSE Operator. Swearing in Ceremony is March 31st, and I get shipped out in the first week of April.

ouyin2000 said:
I would like to start this thread for all those cadets who have been accepted to the Canadian Forces.

I myself just got my phone call, and job offer as a MSE Operator. Swearing in Ceremony is March 31st, and I get shipped out in the first week of April.

wow thats fast, barely enough time to pack  :eek:

I will be sworn in March 28th and sent to basic in early may as Reg Force Cook

The swearing in process is a nice touch. Invite your parents/friends/family as it's a pretty important day. I have the bonus of being sworn in twice, the first time was at the CFRC the second time when I rejoined as a CIC officer was in a bar/grill over a plate of hot wings and many mugs of beer. 

Papke, good on you for becoming a cook. Not enough people consider that trade because they don't see the value in it or they just want the LCF of anything other than cook. Hope you enjoy it and make sure that grilled cheese is a breakfast staple. Mmmmmmm, military grilled cheese.....

Incidentally, the old career matcher that the CF had online used to tell everyone that they should be a cook. There was even a question on it that asked if you liked cooking and even if you answered, "No way in hell" the thing would still tell you to be a cook!

UPDATE!!

I am being flown to BORDEN, ONTARIO on April 1st for 9 weeks of BMQ!

To Papke, cooks are the most important staff people can have. A tip to all cadets, treat your kitchen staff well!

Military food is oh how shall I say, yum yum!

Biggins:

Its good to see they pulled out all the stops for your swearing in.  I wish all ceremonies took place over a plate of wings and beer.
I can just imagine the queen knighting someone with a spicy drumstick  ;D

ouyin2000 said:
UPDATE!!

Hey, I'm going to be in Borden on the 1st too.  :D

ouyin2000 said:
UPDATE!!

I thought BMQ was 11 weeks, or is that in St. Jean?

If you can avoid St-Jean do so. I saw the accomodations for the recruits and the're much worse than the ones for the Officer-Cadets.

bbbb said:
If you can avoid St-Jean do so. I saw the accomodations for the recruits and the're much worse than the ones for the Officer-Cadets.

Well I dont think alot of us can avoid being sent to St. Jean, as we are told where to go, and from the looks of their website the place looks fairly nice and new

Edit:
and if we are told to go to St. Jean, there is no pick and choose you can't (to my knowledge) put a preference "I would like to go to borden for basic so I will wait for BMQ in Borden because St. Jean is dirty" how well do you think that would fly?

So they don't do BMQ anywhere else (ie Cornwallis)?

Oops, sorry I just learned that Cornwallis was closed due to cutbacks. Oh well probably money best spent elsewhere.

Papke said:
I thought BMQ was 11 weeks, or is that in St. Jean?
Copy from the Joining Instructions - Basic Military Qualification

RECRUIT TRAINING AND YOU

4. The basic military qualification training is nine weeks in duration and is designed to fascilitate the development of skill-sets necessary to serve in the various roles assigned to the Canadian Forces.

It is standardized.  Believe it or not, things do change.  And the website isn't 100% accurate.

As for someone who's just recently gone through it, I can guarantee it's longer than 9 weeks for BMQ.

T

There may be differences in the way the course is being one from CFLRS Saint-Jean to CFB Borden which may result in this, or it could be an error.  You will only know for sure when you get there.

Also I believe you have little or no choice where your coursed.  Typically all Reg Force BMQ has been at CFLRS Saint-Jean, however currently they are overloaded there (apparantly they have some Pte(R) staying in the OCdt quarters), so they have started sending recruits to CFB Borden.  Go where they tell you to, as Piper said it changes little when it comes down to the course itself.

As an aside, I'll probably be up at CFB Borden on the 14th of April, I've got Easter leave from here and we have to drive my brother there to start his BMQ.

bbbb said:
So they don't do BMQ anywhere else (ie Cornwallis)?

Oops, sorry I just learned that Cornwallis was closed due to cutbacks. Oh well probably money best spent elsewhere.

Actually, I did BOTC1 in 2000 in the green sector in St-Jean then did BOTC2 in Blue Sector.  I enjoyed green sector more (barrack style)...  The platoon is closer together and there's no room for individualism.

Max

Back