• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Problems with Canadian Military I.D.?

Jimmy C

Inactive
Reaction score
I am on leave at the moment in Ontario and I was at The Beer Store yesterday to purchase some beer and I was asked to provide some I.D. The only piece of identification I had on me at the time was my military I.D. I handed it over to the cashier and he looked puzzled then pulled out a booklet with all different forms of I.D. in it. To my surprise there was no information on my card in the booklet and then he handed the I.D. back to me and said "sorry sir I cannot serve you" and that really frustrated me. I left the store embarrassed and ended up having my mother buy me the beer I desired. I was wondering if there is anyone else that has had a similar experience regarding people not acknowledging military I.D. as a valid form of identification. How much humiliation does a guy have to take? :-[

You should have called over the Manager of the store at informed him that the Military ID is a FEDERAL ID I think perhaps he would have allowed you to buy the beer.

Also you may wish to contact The Beer Store and express your confusion as to why this happened perhaps they can enlighten you

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/AboutUs/contact_us.asp

EDIT: Added link to Beer Store and follow on text

Yeah I thought about that but the manager was not there. However I think I will go in again tomorrow and inform him that it is a federal piece of identification.

You can't blame the clerk for obeying the procedure he was required to follow.  The problem lies with the Liquor Commission not updating the information they provide to employees.

You can declare all you want that it's "Federal ID", they're not legally required to recognize it until their own 'ID identification' reference includes it.  In fact, I would expect they are legally required to refuse it, as they did.

was this a tempary military id? ive had the same problem in the past not a biggy just that maybe the beer store needs to update their booklets. plus half the time the people who work there dont even look at the age on those id's anyways.

Heck I had no problem returning to Canada from Europe I just showed my Military ID to the Custom Agent and was waved through.

That was one thing I found frustrating was that the booklet was a 2007 copy so I thought that the military I.D. would have been in there.

No it was not one of those laminated temporary I.D.'s it was the hard plastic one.

I know I have tried to use my retirement card in the past and I get the old "Deer in the headlights" stare and a "sorry this will not do for picture ID!!!!!!"

I used to use my Military ID all the time and never had a problem, but most places prefer to use my drivers license.

Rusty_Poth said:
I know I have tried to use my retirement card in the past and I get the old "Deer in the headlights" stare and a "sorry this will not do for picture ID!!!!!!"

You're retired and still get carded when buying beer?  What's your secret?

retiredgrunt45 said:
Damn I never get asked for ID anymore, makes you feel old.

It's even more frustrating when the young fools offer you "Seniors discount" and you're not there yet!!

Kind of makes me giggle actually.

While your NDI20 is not apparently good enough to get you a beer at the Beer Store ...

That and a letter (all in Arabic I might add) managed to get me out of the Gulf, to Zagreb, to Frankfurt, to Pearson in 03 during the height of the dropping of the "mothers of all bombs". (since outdone by the Ruskies I hear)

Interesting part was when I landed at Pearson (thinking why the heck do all these people have their faces covered in surgical masks) and walked up to the counter ... the chick (about 20, blonde & blue-eyed -- you mostly think she was hot, but obviously not Arabic) asked for my passport. I have none says I. Why not says she? They wouldn't give it back says I. Who wouldn't? Can't tell you that, but I can show you this ...

Vern flops the Arabic hallway pass onto the counter, she glances over it & asks me what it says. I don't know says I -- I speak not Arabic. She picks up the phone ... makes a call ... Vern's thinking here comes immigration or whoever it is to throw me in some tiny dark room to strip-search me.

Golf cart pulls up. This the girl?? Yes, says she. Jump on says buddy ... I'll take you out back to get your luggage if you have any. Yep I do. Off we go ... whipping through the bowels that are Pearson. Find luggage (not yet loaded onto conveyor). Vern's thinking (yes, I know -- hard to believe) -- what could be next??

Takes me back out to arrivals in the terminal and drives me right to the exit door on the little golf cart, and says have a great day.

Vern wanders to luggage arrival section ... and walks up behind her family (who are now beginning to watch for her arriving through the gate with the others from the plane -- still without their luggage coming down the conveyor) and scares the shit out of them when she says "hi everyone, I'm home ..."

The next week, phone rings ... 2 AMU ... hey we've got this passport in on the last Airbus that belongs to you ...

Dammit all to hell, that means I have to go back when my leave is done. Frankfurt, was the ONLY spot I was given any hassle but I managed to charm my way through there too. That's a scary thought.

True story.

Edited to add: And I still have that little Arabic hallway pass, framed and hanging in my office. One day I'll even have it translated.

The Beer Store/LCBO are Ontario Government , at least at arms length, are they not? 

I had difficulty getting my Ontario Driver's Licence using my Military ID, when I moved from Manitoba.  You need 1) your other province's DL - check; 2) proof of citizenship/residency - my Birth certificate (in maiden name, though) - check; 3) and proof that you are who you say you are, if the names on the first two are different.  I didn't have a passport at the time (expired).  My military ID, with photo and signature was not sufficient.  I tried to explain that a permanent military ID is as good a piece of ID as a passport or citizenship card to prove my identity, no dice.  They would have accepted an Ontario government employee ID, but not a military ID.  The only other acceptable way of proving my identity was with my marriage certificate.  OK, so I came back with my marriage certificate.  Unfortunately, I have only ever had the one issued by the church, not the official provincial one, and the church one wasn't good enough.  (In 15 years of marriage, the Ontario government was the only organization that didn't accept it as proof of name change, BTW).  So I had to order an official marriage certificate from Manitoba, wait for that to come in.

In the meantime, I went on the MTO website and wrote a (very polite) suggestion in their "ask a question, feedback" section that they consider military ID as a valid proof of identity, in addition to passports, citizenship cards, and Ontario Gov't employee ID.  Included my contact information and asked someone to get back to me.  Never heard a word from them.

Most places - "Government Issued Photo ID" is the norm.  Why is a military ID not automatically on that list in Ontario?

Are not the Beer Stores in Ontario independently owned and operated??

The one I went to when posted up there, had a poster on the wall behind the cashiers ... and the NDI20 was on it; so was the temp ID (one with a pic & one with a fingerprint).

I also had no problem switching my drivers license over. Nor obtaining OHIP cards for my kids. My ID worked fine along with my NB provincial license for both (+ I had to show my mortgage paperwork -- to prove Ontario residential address -- to obtain the OHIP cards).

Perhaps the issue is smaller than it seems and is rather a problem relegated to a few local, uniformed, unupdated employees. IE, the Beer Store involved in this first incident was obviously guilty of not providing their employees with the latest up-to-date copy of authorized identification for use in Ontario. I think he said their copy was from a few years before (then the old-style mil ID would have been pictured in it ... guaranteed). That's not the employees fault, he was just doing his job; that's the management's screw up.

Walk into any corner store up there in Ontario and ask to see the booklet showing authorized IDs (they have them...if they sell smokes); I'll guarantee you that our IDs are in there (both permanent & temp). Unfortunately, the onus is on the management of the business to obtain up-to-date versions of these; obviously some management needs to be shot.

Rusty_Poth said:

I used to use my Military ID all the time and never had a problem, but most places prefer to use my drivers license.

Yea that makes two of us. Moved to Toronto a few years ago from Kingston and as per habit pulled out my Can Force retired ID. I might as well have pulled out my membership in the Mickey Mouse club for all the impact it had. After a few experiences of glazed eyeballs I now use my Ontario drivers license and the new picture health card.

Also remember when we (NATO) were bombing Serbia ? Around that time, 1999, while having a chest x-ray I mentioned to the nurse that I was retired air Force. She replied that she was from Serbia. Next topic. !!

Regarding Drivers Licences, they changed the rules in Jan 06, and I was trying to change mine in February.  If I had tried to do it in early Jan, my MB Drivers Licence would have been enough, but not after the new rules. 

Sounds like some things in Ont have not got any better with respect to the military

Many, many moons I go I ran into this in of all the places the Legion in North Bay
I went on New Year's morning as newly minted gunner me in unifrom to join my uncle C (a WW II veteran) to bring in the new year proper.
But big bubba at the door asked for an age of majority card or proper ID, when I proudly produced my military ID, his response was (and it still burns me): "I don't feckin care if you're in da Harmy, I just asked for some proper ID, got anything else? No? Blow!"
Never did bother going back to that Legion 

What?? I've met you!! And you still don't look a day over 21. How could this have happened years ago??  ;)

Funny, my ID card worked for me in Ontario when I was way younger. The last time I was asked, I was 27 and the drinking age was 21. Let me be an example to you all, especially you, Edward, of the benefits of clean living.

Not only that, in 2005 I was asked for proof of age in Texas when I purchased a case of beer. In this case I am assuming that the computor kicked out a randon 'check proof of age message.' Mind you, it might be another testimony to clean living, or a defective gene pool.

Old Sweat said:
Funny, my ID card worked for me in Ontario when I was way younger. The last time I was asked, I was 27 and the drinking age was 21. Let me be an example to you all, especially you, Edward, of the benefits of clean living.

Not only that, in 2005 I was asked for proof of age in Texas when I purchased a case of beer. In this case I am assuming that the computor kicked out a randon 'check proof of age message.' Mind you, it might be another testimony to clean living, or a defective gene pool.

or lots of makeup and kidee's clothes..hmmmm......

Back