• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Problem with Soldier's Prescriptions Being Filled in the GTA??

Hear Hear Vern.

However, I am very interested in hearing what the Wounded Warrior's is.  I thought it was a program to provide immediate relief in the form of items to be used while bed ridden, and some social assistance for family members who travel.  It now seems they are taking an advocacy role as well.  Are their long term goals intended to right the wrongs of wounded veterans down the road?  Are they proposing to be representatives in times of need down the line?  Are they offering advice to the soldier when they encounter a challenge?  Are they going to target service providers that do not perform their duties?

Maybe a description of what the overall goal of Wounded Warrior would be in order.  I mean there should be a plan in effect, correct?  I would hate to see people across Canada donating money for this cause, and all they have in plan is where to buy DVDs.

dileas

tess

Tess,

I think your right. I'm not a lawyer, but it would seem to me that:

If your going to go into business, you should be incorporated (board of directors, corporate seal, financial statements, etc). If your going to be an organization with charitable status, I would think, you would need at least some of the above. Lacking all of this, at the minimum, a legally quantifyable corporate mandate, or 'mission statement' should be available to the public. Otherwise it's akin to the guy that walks around on friday afternoon collecting for the 50/50 with a pickle jar.

Who is Wounded Warrior accountable to? Figure that out and all the rest falls into place.

whiskey601 said:
Who is Wounded Warrior accountable to? Figure that out and all the rest falls into place.

Whiskey, if they are granted registration as a recognized charitable entity (ie get that tax #) do their records then open to public scrutiny?

Librarian:

We seem to be wandering back to the split thread.

The mission statement of the WWF is:

The Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warrior Fund supports Canadian service persons wounded on operations, at the outset of the healing process. The fund aims to improve the general morale and welfare of the soldiers and their families by working through first-line caregivers, medical staff, chaplain's and Assisting Officers.

I am not sure how the fund execs expects to identify those injured unless they are going to be contacted by families for assistance.  It would be a breach of privacy for any of the front-line pers to contact the fund on behalf of the injured.  By saying they are working through front-line personnel, it seems they want to become a major partner in the support network for the caregivers, while working external to the system.

Perhaps once the soldiers begin their rehab and convalescence back in Canada they could require some additional comforts.  That shouldn't that be after their Regiments and sub-units have had a chance to step forward. 

I agree.

But when questionned about the tax # status by me, he said that was not what was important.

Rather it was Canadians supporting their troops that was important. I realize that support is important, but if you want money donated, the onus is on your organization to ensure those monies are going where the donator's believe them to be; and the only way to do that is to have the organizations books open to public scrutiny; at least that maintains the image of 'charity in the right spot.'

That's why we always hear those warnings about watching out for charity-posers on your doorsteps....make sure they have a charitable org #, when in doubt call in the tax exempt # to confirm their validity etc.

Yet we have the Main Stream Media, pushing/advocating that Canadians do differently with their money in this case. I don't mind donating, I'd just prefer to wait until all the applicable ducks are in their neat little rows.

Gotta say that when I first used the card, walked into the local Shoppers drug mart, the pharmacist looked at prescription and cards (Med card & ID Card) and promptly filled the prescription.  I gave him my phone #, on the off chance he had a problem... none occured.

Service with a smile - well looked after

+1

I can appreciate all those concerns and as of Thursday last we have got letters of incorporation IAW the Canada Corporations Act File Number 439877-7. The next step is charitable tax status this takes time as did the letters of incorporation. I ask you to understand that this wasn't planned by me nor Mr McTeague (Spr McTeagues Father and OPP Constable) it happend as a grass roots thing that has grown.  In the event anyone doubts our intentions and what we have done thus so far I suggest you call the Snr Padre in GK Germany as he has already received cash from the fund.

"I am not sure how the fund execs expects to identify those injured unless they are going to be contacted by families for assistance.  It would be a breach of privacy for any of the front-line pers to contact the fund on behalf of the injured.  By saying they are working through front-line personnel, it seems they want to become a major partner in the support network for the caregivers, while working external to the system".

We have been in discussion with CFPSA since the new CANFORGEN has come out re how this fund can augment the CF's efforts. Please remember that when this fund was started there was no such CANFORGEN to assist the wounded. We may indeed have to re adjust our efforts and be more flexible. It is hoped that Chaplains, Medical Staff and AO's will be able to contact us and use us a resource to assist family's and the wounded.  This part of the plan was worked through Med Staff and Padres. It may be much easier for family's to contact us directly for assistance via the AO in the end. We know that like the CF there is a large learning curve here and we are willing to be flexible and fit in where needed.

Whiskey601

"Who is Wounded Warrior accountable to? Figure that out and all the rest falls into place".

As an incorporation we are accountable like any other incorporation governed by the Government of Canada. Upon gaining charitable status the same goes.

I invite anyone to please contact me via phone

CaptainJ

Tess

I am not too sure what we can do re the prescription issue. Clearly by this forum very few people have issues I can only assume mine was an isolated case. Therefore it isn't a issue. I did however as a AO go to the local drug store in his hometown yesterday with his Dad and get the store on line.

Captain J

captainj said:
Tess

I am not too sure what we can do re the prescription issue. Clearly by this forum very few people have issues I can only assume mine was an isolated case. Therefore it isn't a issue. I did however as a AO go to the local drug store in his hometown yesterday with his Dad and get the store on line.

Captain J

Captain J,

So Sir,

Do you understand now my concern?  When you make statements like the following;

captainj said:
You are so right here each soldier has unique needs. Re Reservists from small towns I am sure you are right, sadly it is also the case in the GTA. In a nutshell other than places with a large CF presence there are issue. Believe it or not for example in Toronto you have a hard time getting a DND prescription filled at other than a few pharmacies I am told this is the case in other urban areas without a large CF presence. You can imagine more complex support is like moving mountains

I would really love to speak to you re this issue as I can see you have passion and really care. If you wish I will email you off line and give you my phone number.

Captain J

Under the auspice of the Wounded Warrior Group, you make it seem that you are an advocacy group willing to right the wrongs of service provider for Soldiers that have been wounded.  This is what I was questioning.  If you are there to do such an act, I wanted to find out how your group was willing to do this.  In no way were my intentions mercenary in the fact of hurting your cause, I was only wanted you to clarify what you meant when you made and unfounded and dated statement.

We here at this site are not out to destroy honourable intentions, only to help the Soldiers of our forces find the help they need.  I sure as hell know it was not there for me, and I will not let that happen to others.

dileas

tess

Tess

Point taken and understood

'We here at this site are not out to destroy honourable intentions, only to help the Soldiers of our forces find the help they need.  I sure as hell know it was not there for me, and I will not let that happen to others".

Thank you for that. We will do our best to raise the bar.

Captain j

Back