• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

A couple questions on PLARs:

1. When outlining how I've met the requirements of a qual or course, is it better to use the performance objectives listed in the TP or QS for that course, or the performance requirements listed in the qual specification?

2. If a member of the Army wants to PLAR a CF qual that is not controlled by the Army, how will that affect the PLAR process? Do they still go through LFDTS?

(Searched a lot of threads on PLARs, but most are in the recruiting section, and that's not the kind of PLAR I'm interested in).

Eowyn said:
Here is the DIN link.

http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/botp-eng.asp

Does CDA also process the waivers for CAP? What I stated in my post above is still accurate according to my unit, but I'm trying to find the references if needed.

I don't believe so; that would be DAT/LFDTS for a CA 'owned' course.  There is a LFCO (24-20?) that should confirm/give details.  I can't remember the exact LFCO and am home prepping for my pack/load.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't believe so; that would be DAT/LFDTS for a CA 'owned' course.  There is a LFCO (24-20?) that should confirm/give details.  I can't remember the exact LFCO and am home prepping for my pack/load.

Outstanding, found it.

Confirms the "UFI" section of brain is still a well-oiled machine.

Now if I could only find my car keys....

Can anyone share a working link to the "Canadian Forces Equivalency Database"?

First I would like to thank those who reply in advance and apologize if this is similar to another post.

My question is in regards to the PLAR as the tittle suggests, I am a graduate of the St Lawrence College Primary Care Paramedic Program in Ontario and a certified AEMCA. I have been working through my Medical Technician application since February of 2013, to this point I have completed my CFAT, Medical and Interview and my references have been contacted. So far things have been moving along fairly well despite long gaps in between being contacted, but I am wondering if there is any way of finding out whether my credentials will holdup for the PLAR and how long the review process usually takes.

I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the recruiters so I figured where better to turn than to the Military community.
Again thank you for any help provided.

Regards

PLAR's have been discussed previously.  They take however long they need to take.  There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to the medical branch here http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=45.0, start reading.

vend131 said:
First I would like to thank those who reply in advance and apologize if this is similar to another post.
My question is in regards to the PLAR as the tittle suggests, I am a graduate of the St Lawrence College Primary Care Paramedic Program in Ontario and a certified AEMCA. I have been working through my Medical Technician application since February of 2013, to this point I have completed my CFAT, Medical and Interview and my references have been contacted. So far things have been moving along fairly well despite long gaps in between being contacted, but I am wondering if there is any way of finding out whether my credentials will holdup for the PLAR and how long the review process usually takes.
I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the recruiters so I figured where better to turn than to the Military community.
Again thank you for any help provided.
Regards

No, the program from St Lawrence College isn't on the list, so you require a full PLAR which will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2-4 months.

Hey I thought I would share my personal application story :)

I first applied for Med Tech as my first choice and vehicle tech as second in July of 2013. I faxed my application in to CFRC Edmonton (apparently it moves faster than if you do it online). Sadly, Med Tech was closed and they swapped my file over for vehicle tech.

Early March I called again to see if Med Tech has opened up again and to pull vehicle tech from my application. Nothing against the trade I just feel that I would be happier as a med tech and would love to give a spot to someone who truly wants to fix tanks.

Edmonton, being the wonderful recruitment center they are got me in for testing, medical and interview right away!! :)  Everything went well and now I  am waiting on my PLAR to be done since I am already a licences PCP-IV in BC.

My only worry is that all of the positions will be fill before my PLAR is complete and that I will have to wait until the next round of openings. I was told that it could take a close to 6 months to complete.  On the plus side however my prior education does help me in the standings for selections as well I will be brought in at a higher pay scale.

If anyone knows what the past precedent for PCP's PLAR results I would be appreciative.

I'll update as I learn more and find out more information

~MedicTWO

MedicTWO said:
Everything went well and now I  am waiting on my PLAR to be done since I am already a licences PCP-IV in BC.

My only worry is that all of the positions will be fill before my PLAR is complete and that I will have to wait until the next round of openings. I was told that it could take a close to 6 months to complete.  On the plus side however my prior education does help me in the standings for selections as well I will be brought in at a higher pay scale.

If anyone knows what the past precedent for PCP's PLAR results I would be appreciative.

This may be of interest.

Normally how long does a PLAR take? Paramedic going for Med Tech 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109356.0

semi skilled med tech applicant needs info 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81858.0.html
PLAR for Med Tech is discussed here.

Will my college/Certification meet PLAR requirements for Med Tech?
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/114248.0

Normally how long does a PLAR take? Paramedic going for Med Tech 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109356.0

semi skilled med tech applicant needs info 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81858.0.html
PLAR for Med Tech is discussed here.

Thank you mariomike for the info! The second thread was very helpful (it didn't come up on my search)

Sadly, just talked to my MCC (he needed extra documents) and it appears unless god smiles down upon me; I will be missing the selection (April 21st) and having to wait for med tech to reopen.

I think however I have one of the best file managers in the CFRC. It takes an average of 30 minutes to receive an email reply and I always get called back the same day! :)

MedicTWO said:
Thank you mariomike for the info! The second thread was very helpful (it didn't come up on my search)

You are welcome, and good luck!  :)

(This applies to current CAF members who are OTing/CTing/doing whatever career move that requires the use of the PLAR system. I have no experience with PLARs for applicants/new recruits.)

Reference: DAOD 5031-1

As I posted here earlier, I’ve recently gone through the VOT process from combat arms to RMS Clk.  I’ve been combat arms for 6 years but working out of trade for the last 2.  A big part of my VOT was the prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) process.  My experience resulted in having all of RMS Clk QL3 written off.  However, each case is unique and you need to justify why your experience counts.

There was A LOT of confusion about this program and how it works, including here on the forums.  I thought I would provide a few tips learned through my experience:

1. Read the DAOD referenced above.

2. The purpose of a PLA is to recognize ANY relevant training, experience, or knowledge gained outside of the military in accordance with ANY formal military courses.  If you think your secret weekend ninja gig qualifies you for your underwater ninja knife-fighting course, request it.  If you think your part-time mechanic job might qualify you towards being a Vehicle Tech, request it.  If you think working at McDonald’s means you might have some credit towards being a Cook, request it.  Point being, if you don’t ask you won’t know.

3. You DO NOT need to have 100% of the experience you’d get on a course in order to have that course written off.  The CAF is willing to accept a “reasonable risk” that does not impact safety or legal requirements if you have completed at least 70% of the course’s experience.  The CAF is willing to give you the remaining 30% through OJT/your home unit/training at another unit.  In this current budget-constrained environment, you can bet the CAF is going to be very sympathetic when it comes to defining “risk” to keep members at home and avoid having to send them on TD for several months.

4. PLAR is NOT a home unit chain of command decision.  No, your Section Commander/Platoon WO/Chief Clerk etc. DO NOT determine your PLAR results.  If your Section Commander unilaterally shuts down your PLAR request because “you can’t do that,” they don’t know what they’re talking about.

5. Where your home unit chain of command does come into play is in verifying your request.  Just because you say “I worked in the Orderly Room doing releases for six months” doesn’t mean anything.  Prove it. “Proof” can include:

a. Letters of recommendation
b. Supporting letters from your CO/chain of command
c. Terms of reference
d. Your MPRR (to the extent that you were in a position for a certain number of days)
e. Course certificates/reports
f. PERs/PDRs from being in that position
g. Samples of work

Now, here’s what you need to do:

1. Learn your occupation’s managing authority.  This is usually an L2 organization and is the ONLY cell that has the ability to PLAR your experience.  For support trades, it’s CDA.

2. Find the training plan for your course.

3. From the training plan, you will be able to determine the course’s POs and EOs.  For example, you need to find:

PO 001: do stuff
PO 002: do things
PO 003: get creative
PO 004: lead PT
PO 005: spell your name correctly

4. This is what the course “is.”  Now you need to equate your experience with what the course is.  It’s easiest to do this through a table that clearly breaks down your experience within that specific PO.

5. Ideally, if you’re OTing, your PLAR is completed and back to you BEFORE you ACCEPT a VOT.  Part of the VOT application is “PLAR results” which means you should know those results.  However, a PLAR can be requested at any time.

6. Be specific.  Do not bullshit, but also realize that you probably have experience you don’t even think about.  The person sitting down to look at your file does this every day and does not know you personally.  They are not about to ask you for more information or ask what you mean if something is unclear – they will simply reject your PLAR for lack of substantiation.  It is YOUR job to prove your experience.  Have you been a grocery store cashier? Do you have a driver’s licence?  Were you on a university school council?  Do you write for your school’s monthly newsletter?  What did you do in these positions?

7. Include dates.  How long was your experience?  One day?  A week? Two months?  Ten years?

8. Now you probably have a big fat file of everything from your BMQ course report to the painting you did for Mother’s Day in grade 3.  Great.  This file goes to your chain of command for them to verify for your experience (see above).  They may write a letter for the CO to sign that verifies your experience and recommends your PLAR be accepted, or they may only make sure you’re not BSing about being a JTF2 assaulter on weekends.  Or they may say nothing, and submit it for processing.  Electronically copy everything before it goes up your chain of command.

9. Now you wait.  Your Chief Clk should be sending everything directly to the managing authority; electronically is the new trend because these PLARs can be several hundred pages (depending on the request) and mail is expensive.  I’d say three weeks is a reasonable period to wait after submitting your PLAR to the Chief Clk before asking if they received a response.

10. Eventually, you will receive a letter from the managing authority that says “Congratulations, you’ve been granted xxx qualification” or “Sorry, the documents provided do not prove you have the experience for your underwater knife-fighter qualification.”

I hope this helps.  If anyone has any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Has anyone recently sub-component transferred from COATS to PRes?

The unit is just about to start the transfer process, and I was advised that the Chief Clerk will submit a PLAR for me to determine training status. Since I have been told a variety of things, I'm wondering if anyone has recently gone through a similar experience and has any words of wisdom to share.

rjm said:
Has anyone recently sub-component transferred from COATS to PRes?

The unit is just about to start the transfer process, and I was advised that the Chief Clerk will submit a PLAR for me to determine training status. Since I have been told a variety of things, I'm wondering if anyone has recently gone through a similar experience and has any words of wisdom to share.

What courses have you done?

I think you're also going to need to provide more information on what you're transferring to. Also, are you a CIC officer in COATS with only CIC courses or do you have previous experience?

If your background is CIC only I don't think you'll be able to show you've completed 85% of the material of any courses other than BMQ/BMOQ and that is generally the threshold for a PLAR.

I have observed a couple of CTs that were successfully PLAR'd with only CIC courses.
One individual has had a long career since transferring. I can not comment on any recent changes or requirements though.

A PLAR is initiated by the member, not the unit. It is up to the member to prove that they have experience and qualifications that can be used towards the future trade/qualification.

Also, see http://army.ca/forums/threads/114639.0

I will go along with the rest and say that CIC/COATS Basic does not equal PRes/Reg Force BMOQ.....

Unless things have changed, I do believe this is what is covered on the CIC Basic....

The CIC Basic Officer Training Course (BOTC) is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge required to perform as junior officers at the corps / squadron and Cadet Summer Training Centres (CSTCs). The course will:

A. Introduce officers to the military environment;
B. Teach basic military and leadership skills common to all officers in the CF;
C. Guide the development of officer-like qualities; and
D. Provide opportunities to practice leadership.

To minimize the time required away from home and work the course is divided into two phases:

Phase 1: Distributed Learning (DL) phase - This phase is completed prior to attending the In-House (IH) phase and also includes on-the-job training (OJT) at the corps / squadron which requires the member to fire the cadet air rifle. Students will be provided with an OJT package.

Phase 2: In House (IH) phase - This phase is completed at a training location within the student’s home region and includes Standard First Aid Training.

PHASE 1 - DISTRIBUTED LEARNING

The Distributed Learning (DL) phase is used to introduce basic CF knowledge and is conducted on a computer connected to the Internet. The DL phase consists of reading, self study, OJT, discussion postings, and written assignments. An e-learning facilitator will guide students through the course material, manage online discussions and mark written assignments. The DL phase is completed over a 4 week period and consists of 15 hrs (1.5 days) of work. All work is asynchronous, which allows students to complete the DL requirements at a time during the week that is most convenient; however, the course is not self paced as students are required to meet weekly milestones. A few hours of online work each week is required.

PHASE 2 - IN-HOUSE TRAINING

General:

The IH training phase is conducted at different locations in the region. The Regional Cadet Instructor School (Atlantic) conducts training in three possible locations: 12 Wing Shearwater (NS), 3 Area Support Group Gagetown (NB) and Canadian Forces Station St. John’s. (NL). It builds on the knowledge acquired in Phase 1, and provides opportunities to practice new skills. Students are introduced to the military environment and given instruction on basic military and leadership skills common to all officers of the CF, such as: CF regulations and values, communication, and planning and conducting activities. This phase includes a formal graduation parade. Guests are welcome to attend the parade and reception. For exact timings and locations, check with your course staff when you arrive. A Standard First Aid course will be held as part of the course for those students requiring their first aid certification. Students who hold a current FA qualification, may not be required to attend those two days.

Physical Fitness:

All RCIS courses longer than 4 days in duration include organized fitness activities. The activities are designed to accommodate all fitness levels and participation is required. There is no required fitness standard to meet. The fitness activities are intended to help foster an appreciation for personal wellness and fitness and to instill in officers the obligation to portray a positive image of the CF.

TYPICAL DAY AND SCHEDULE

Phase 2

The ten day training schedule during phase 2 has classes scheduled every day with formal instruction and group activities from 0730 to 1700hrs. The typical day starts with an inspection at 0730hrs and classes at 0800hrs.  The schedule may not be the same each day and there will be some evening training. Most evenings students will have homework or scheduled activities; therefore, those attending the course are not available to attend to other commitments in the evenings. Regardless of the course location, all students are required to stay in the accommodations provided.

BASIC OFFICER TRAINING COURSE ASSIGNMENTS AND EVALUATIONS

A course report is completed at the end of the course and includes course work from all phases. In order to receive a pass, the student must complete all phases of training including the OJT portion and the first aid course. During phase 1, students will complete one written assessment on complying with safety, security and environmental protection policies and procedures, write one memorandum and be evaluated on handling of the cadet air rifle. During phase 2 students will complete one written test on leadership, submit one written assignment on planning, and will participate in three formally evaluated practical tests (prepare and deliver a briefing and a short speech, lead a small party task, and perform drill). Performance objectives such as adhere to CF regulations and values, and comply with safety are evaluated as either pass or fail based on the officer’s conduct during the course.

Performance Objectives

·                101 - Adhere to Canadian Forces Regulations and Values
·                102 - Lead Subordinates
·                103 - Comply with Safety, Security and Environmental Protection Policies and Procedures
·                104 - Communicate Orally and in Writing
·                105 - Plan Activities
·                106 - Conduct Activities
·                107 - Perform Basic Drill Movements at the Halt and on the March
·                108 - Fire the Cadet Air Rifle
·                109 - Maintain Personal Health and Fitness

Back